Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ideas to carry clothes to the office on a road bike?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 12-05-19, 03:45 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts

I commute once or twice a week on my road bike (I need to do it relatively fast, so I don't consider using a bike more suited to carry things). It's a 70km round trip. I need to carry a pair of jeans, shoes, t-shirt, underwear a towel, wallet, house keys and, obviously all bike related items (multitool, patches, spare tube, pump, tire levers, etc...). Moreover, on winter, I also carry a spare rear light and spare front light + battery since I usually have to commute in the dark when going back and I don't want to get stranded in case my primary light dies (happened before).

My bike doesn't have rack mounts, and I'd prefer something easy to remove since I also use this bike on weekends when I don't need / want to carry things.

I firstly tried with a couple of backpacks, but both of them caused me lower back pain. Really uncomfortable.

I then tried to carry everything in bikepacking backs: clothes on the saddle bag, shoes and bike tools on the handlebar bag. It worked relatively well until I noticed that the handlebar bag causes the brake line to rub on the head tube and the brake line is starting to show wear. It's almost impossible to reroute it due to the fork design. Moreover, it's hydro brakes, so I'd prefer to avoid replacing the line. The saddle bag works ok, but is tiresome to detach and reattach at the office.

I have good experience with klickfix bags on a folding bike, but I'm not sure It'll work in a road bike. I'm considering buying a klickfix handlebar bag to fit the clothes, and keep the saddle bag only to fit the shoes. Has anyone tried a similar approach? How do you do it?
Old 12-05-19, 07:14 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
Many cyclists use P-Clips to attatch racks to bikes without eyelets. A lightweight rack, will allow you to either use paniers, or carry a back or backpack back there.
Here's what I do:
Old 12-05-19, 07:55 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Many cyclists use P-Clips to attatch racks to bikes without eyelets. A lightweight rack, will allow you to either use paniers, or carry a back or backpack back there.
Here's what I do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbRgLq2F3PA
It's not exactly easy to remove but I suppose it's solid enough... maybe it's worth a try. I didn't want to use seatpost racks since the saddle post is carbon fiber and I don't think it's a good idea... but this may work.

Don't the clips damage the frame?
Old 12-05-19, 08:05 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by Amt0571
It's not exactly easy to remove but I suppose it's solid enough... maybe it's worth a try. I didn't want to use seatpost racks since the saddle post is carbon fiber and I don't think it's a good idea... but this may work.

Don't the clips damage the frame?
I don't know about carbon fiber posts or frames. Also, I don't use them but others do...perhaps they could elaborate.
Old 12-05-19, 08:18 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've used a handlebar bag for that, basically a backpack that I rolled up and buckled, and had straps or hooks (depending on which version) that secured it to the handlebars. Prior to that, for several years I'd strap a bag in the front triangle. That worked well enough but it can get bulky and force your knees out, which eventually I got tired of.

Currently, I've just put a light-weight seat post rack on it. I know it's a compromise but it's undeniably convenient and I don't miss messing with all of that.

I also suggest, if it's at all possible just leave the shoes at work.
Old 12-05-19, 08:52 AM
Amt0571

I've found something that I find really interesting: The Thule Pack 'n' Pedal rack, that attaches to the seat stays. Seems relatively fast to attach and remove, and would allow me to carry a backpack strapped on top with everything I need, and I also could use it on my MTB if necessary.

Has someone tried it? does it move? I wouldn't care if it was my 10y/o MTB, but I'm a bit worried about paint or frame damage on my new road bike.
Old 12-05-19, 09:08 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I've found something that I find really interesting: The Thule Pack 'n' Pedal rack, that attaches to the seat stays. Seems relatively fast to attach and remove, and would allow me to carry a backpack strapped on top with everything I need, and I also could use it on my MTB if necessary.

Has someone tried it? does it move? I wouldn't care if it was my 10y/o MTB, but I'm a bit worried about paint or frame damage on my new road bike.
I'm not a rack user, but I can offer tips to avoid paint damage. Since the rack attaches with ratchet straps, I doubt you'd be able to apply enough force to damage a CF seatstay.
Use duct tape or electrical tape as a buffer between the rack attachment feet and the paint. It will seal out dust and grit that will damage the paint once trapped between the paint and the attachment, and take the abrasion instead. A PU tape or frame protector will do the same thing if you have it around.
Old 12-05-19, 09:20 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
I'm not a rack user, but I can offer tips to avoid paint damage. Since the rack attaches with ratchet straps, I doubt you'd be able to apply enough force to damage a CF seatstay.
Use duct tape or electrical tape as a buffer between the rack attachment feet and the paint. It will seal out dust and grit that will damage the paint once trapped between the paint and the attachment, and take the abrasion instead. A PU tape or frame protector will do the same thing if you have it around.
The frame is aluminium. Only seatpost and fork are carbon. I was thinking on placing a cut inner tube between the rack attachment and the frame also to avoid it slipping down. But I didn't think about trapped dust and grit... I have some clear frame protector, but based on my experience, it seems to break or detach if it needs to stand constant rubbing.

Well... It would be great if someone had a first hand opinion of the rack. I want something solid, since I'm going to ride around 3500km annually with this thing attached. It's not going to carry more than 2kg though...
Old 12-05-19, 10:25 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I commute 4 days a week on my bike, the other day I bring all the clothes I need for the week and bring my dirty clothes home. So all I need to carry when commuting is food, which is a lot easier to figure out.
Old 12-05-19, 10:51 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I have a frame bag on my MTB and it's not very big, but on a road bike it could be a lot bigger. Or does that get in the way of your preferred place for water?

You can also attach things under the down tube and to the fork legs.

My experience is road bike + high rear load = head shake
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-05-19, 11:00 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Maybe I'm weird but there isn't anything in the o.p.'s itinerary that I wouldn't just throw into a standard backpack and off I go. When I had a need to take a suit, shirt and tie to work I invested in a clothes pannier (Nashbar) but for jeans, t-shirt, etc. I'd just roll them up and stuff them in the backpack. 30mi. too far to wear a backpack? Maybe. Some people wear them sunup till sundown for weeks on end completing Continental Divide hikes and such. Perspective is everything.
Old 12-05-19, 11:19 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Maybe I'm weird but there isn't anything in the o.p.'s itinerary that I wouldn't just throw into a standard backpack and off I go. When I had a need to take a suit, shirt and tie to work I invested in a clothes pannier (Nashbar) but for jeans, t-shirt, etc. I'd just roll them up and stuff them in the backpack. 30mi. too far to wear a backpack? Maybe. Some people wear them sunup till sundown for weeks on end completing Continental Divide hikes and such. Perspective is everything.
Yeah. I would prefer just throwing it in a backpack. But I have a sciatica problem and when I carry things in a backpack I start to get lower back pain and sciatica after that. Tried the backpack approach too many times to do it again.

I've bought the thule ride 'n' go on amazon to try how it fits. If I don't like it I can always return it. I think that a backpack strapped on top will be enough for my needs.
Old 12-05-19, 12:15 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by joelcool
I commute 4 days a week on my bike, the other day I bring all the clothes I need for the week and bring my dirty clothes home. So all I need to carry when commuting is food, which is a lot easier to figure out.
+1 - me too.
Old 12-05-19, 01:08 PM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by randallr
+1 - me too.
Okay. That's a good idea. I cancelled the rack order and will try this.

I didn't want to do it to avoid walking the whole office covered and sweat dressed in lycra, but someone will have to do it first.

Last edited by Amt0571; 12-05-19 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-05-19, 01:33 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Agree with bringing the extra clothes on days you're driving. I don't drive often, but every time I do I bring a car full of stuff that I never get to bring when I'm riding. Big cumbersome things, heavy things, etc. Most days I just carry a backpack that is lightly packed.
Old 12-05-19, 03:19 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I commute once or twice a week on my road bike (I need to do it relatively fast, so I don't consider using a bike more suited to carry things). It's a 70km round trip. I need to carry a pair of jeans, shoes, t-shirt, underwear a towel, wallet, house keys and, obviously all bike related items (multitool, patches, spare tube, pump, tire levers, etc...). Moreover, on winter, I also carry a spare rear light and spare front light + battery since I usually have to commute in the dark when going back and I don't want to get stranded in case my primary light dies (happened before).

My bike doesn't have rack mounts, and I'd prefer something easy to remove since I also use this bike on weekends when I don't need / want to carry things.

I firstly tried with a couple of backpacks, but both of them caused me lower back pain. Really uncomfortable.

I then tried to carry everything in bikepacking backs: clothes on the saddle bag, shoes and bike tools on the handlebar bag. It worked relatively well until I noticed that the handlebar bag causes the brake line to rub on the head tube and the brake line is starting to show wear. It's almost impossible to reroute it due to the fork design. Moreover, it's hydro brakes, so I'd prefer to avoid replacing the line. The saddle bag works ok, but is tiresome to detach and reattach at the office.

I have good experience with klickfix bags on a folding bike, but I'm not sure It'll work in a road bike. I'm considering buying a klickfix handlebar bag to fit the clothes, and keep the saddle bag only to fit the shoes. Has anyone tried a similar approach? How do you do it?

Have you considered a rando type Seatbag? Like one from eoGear? The SKS attachment to the seat post makes the rolltop bags super easy and quick to remove (2 seconds) and there are some D-rings on the bag so you can attach additional gear like jackets.

Shoes are heavy and bulky, if you can leave them at the desk that would save a lot of space and weight.

Instead of jeans and t-shirt consider some light-weight travel pants and shirts from Railriders or Travelsmith etc. for commuting days. These will roll up smaller, weigh less, and wrinkle less then cotton jeans and shirts. Also, it’s a good idea to sash some exra bike clothes in the office, if you can, in case you get drenched in the morning commute and can’t dry out all your gear for the trip home. Riding in cold wet kit is very unpleasant.

Of course, always know where your towel is!
Old 12-05-19, 03:28 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Of course, always know where your towel is!
Hey, you sass that hoopy billridesbikes? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.
Old 12-05-19, 03:43 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
n+1
Old 12-05-19, 03:50 PM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by wphamilton
...I also suggest, if it's at all possible just leave the shoes at work.
That's what I started doing after reading that suggestion here years ago. Bikeforums FTW!
Old 12-05-19, 03:57 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Yeah, that was going to be my answer, too. You say you commute once or twice a week, so use the other days to bring clothes to and from the office.
Old 12-05-19, 05:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
My first thought when I opened the thread. I used to commute 3-4 days/week for 12-18 mile commutes. On one of my drive days I'd bring in a week's worth of clean clothes and come home with last week's dirty.

Now there are plenty of bags that are big enough to carry lunch, spare lights and more. Saddle bags, frame bags, etc. Most go on without any hardware so taking them off for the weekend is easy.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-06-19, 05:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
…I also suggest, if it's at all possible just leave the shoes at work.
Originally Posted by BobbyG
That's what I started doing after reading that suggestion here years ago. Bikeforums FTW!
While I don’t need to carry clothing, other than needed for the ride, sometimes I do carry shoes, namely running shoes to wear at work.
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Almost all Stop signs I come to a complete stop at, because, where I ride, these are places motorists routinely blow through…

I don't like clipping out and in 5000 times on a two-hour ride. It seems unnecessary. But I do it. Am now very proficient at clipping in. It is a ton of starting and stopping in town. But it is required most of the time.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Indeed it is a pain to clip / unclip / clip / unclip… When I occasionally do a multimodal commute, bike ~ 2 miles to train in the city, train to an outlying suburban station, then cycle ~ 5 miles to work , I wear regular running shoes for the urban segment though the downtown, and bring my cycling shoes for the suburban segment.

Otherwise the full cycle commute of about 14 miles through MUP, residential, and early morning light commercial routes does not require many, sometime no stops…
On my carbon fiber road bike without eyelets for a rear rack, I use a nicely spacious Arkel Backpacking Bag for the shoes, tools and other items.

(Stock photo)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-06-19 at 07:34 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 12-06-19, 07:54 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I use a Carradice Barley and leave my shoes at work. But you could get a larger one -- maybe a Nelson -- and one of their quick release attachment thingys.
https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddlebags
Old 12-06-19, 08:54 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
On my carbon fiber road bike without eyelets for a rear rack, I use a nicely spacious Arkel Backpacking Bag for the shoes, tools and other items.
Something like that was my thought as well. I've had my eye on the Topeak Backloader for a while, and suspect that the 10 or 15L size would do the trick.

Shoes at work, for sure. I've got three pair in my office now - one that looks nice but are good for walking, a fancy pair for fancy days, and a cheap pair for really hot days when I don't want to wear socks and/or trash my nice shoes with sweaty feet.
Old 12-06-19, 08:58 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,051 Posts
I commute 4 days a week on my bike, the other day I bring all the clothes I need for the week...
An approach recommended by Fred DeLong in Bicycling! back in the 1960s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.