Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Lower gearing options?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Lower gearing options?

Old 03-13-20, 08:42 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
Lower gearing options?

I have a 2014 Specialized Tricross. It has Sora 9 speed components on it. I've been using it as my gravel bike and it has worked well. But the gearing is too high for me. It has a 50/34 crank and 11/32 9 speed cassette.

What are my options for going with lower gearing? Mainly wanting to go up to something like a 11-42 in the back. I'm not opposed to changing the crank as well. I had looked at switching the whole thing over to GRX or something but with what I'd spend I'd be better off just buying a new bike. I don't mind spending a little money. I just don't want to go crazy.
Old 03-13-20, 09:04 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Your Sora rear derailleur will probably not work with a 42 tooth cassette, so you will at least have to change your rear derailleur.

There are also derailleur hanger extensions that adapt derailleurs to work with larger cogs.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ducts/roadlink
Says it allows up to 40 tooth cassette.
Old 03-13-20, 09:37 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Switching the crankset gets my vote. Smaller rings would drop your gearing across the board, and you wouldn't need to change the cassette or rear derailleur. Only concern would be if the front derailleur can move low enough to shift it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-13-20, 09:53 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Switching the crankset gets my vote. Smaller rings would drop your gearing across the board, and you wouldn't need to change the cassette or rear derailleur. Only concern would be if the front derailleur can move low enough to shift it.
Concur. I think Sheldon Brown said something like brazed on front derailers are an invention of the devil, because you can't lower the derailer to make it work with smaller rings. Curvature may be wrong, but it'll still often work (just not quite as well) with the smaller rings. Not sure what's on OP's bike, though.
Old 03-13-20, 10:03 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Agree with above about chainrings. I used to have a "30" that worked with my five bolt (AIR) crank. Perhaps there's something that will fit yours, whatever it is.
Old 03-13-20, 10:05 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
If you are thinking about changing cranksets, seriously consider a triple. You may need a new front derailleur and shifters but what you get in return are great gear choices. With (say) a 50-38-24 you can run a 12-25 9-speed, have lower than 1:1 and gear choices all the time including on long climbs.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-13-20, 10:19 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
What is the BCD on your crank? Something like a 30-46 up front and say a 34 or 36 rear would work.
Old 03-13-20, 11:21 AM
chadtrent

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Concur. I think Sheldon Brown said something like brazed on front derailers are an invention of the devil, because you can't lower the derailer to make it work with smaller rings. Curvature may be wrong, but it'll still often work (just not quite as well) with the smaller rings. Not sure what's on OP's bike, though.
Thanks. I think it will go low enough. I don't have the bike in front of me, but just from what I recall I think there is plenty of room to move it down.

Originally Posted by Leebo
What is the BCD on your crank? Something like a 30-46 up front and say a 34 or 36 rear would work.
I believe it's 110. Here is the link to the bike if that helps - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tr...t-disc/p/49858
Old 03-13-20, 11:26 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
New crank - smaller double or triple. 46-30 "gravel" crank or if you need lower a 44-32-22 mountain crank. If you get a triple you can get a Sora triple front shifter.
Old 03-13-20, 11:58 AM
chadtrent

What do I need to look for to make sure a crank will fit? I was looking at something like this but not sure if it will work. https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/omega-crankset-4659
Old 03-13-20, 12:06 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by chadtrent
Thanks. I think it will go low enough. I don't have the bike in front of me, but just from what I recall I think there is plenty of room to move it down.

I believe it's 110. Here is the link to the bike if that helps - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/tr...t-disc/p/49858
I see that it has a braze-on front derailleur mount. That might limit the size of your smallest or even larges chainring if you change the chainring or crankset.

If it's possible to fit it with your existing front derailleur mount, I think a smaller crankset will work better for you and be the most economical fix for you.

Good luck and cheers
Old 03-13-20, 12:19 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by chadtrent
What do I need to look for to make sure a crank will fit? I was looking at something like this but not sure if it will work. https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/omega-crankset-4659
I see it's available with 46-30 rings. You realize it's a 10 or 11 speed compatible crankset? I'm not sure but you might need to get a 10 speed chain if the 9-speed one doesn't work well with it. However it should be compatible with you existing front derailleur mount.

Cheers
Old 03-13-20, 12:57 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
My bike originally came with a standard triple. Wanting lower gearing, I had a local shop install a compact triple. And yep, the curvature of the derailleur in front was off resulting in poor shifting. I'm not averse to modifying equipment so I marked the front cage with a sharpy and ground away with a Dremel tool, maybe 1/16 inch, until the curve more closely matched the 50 T chain ring and could then be lowered closer to the recommended thickness of a dime, maybe 1 mm. Shifting was improved somewhat but improved much better when I closed up the cage slightly with visegrips.
Old 03-13-20, 01:06 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Many rear derailleurs are designed to accommodate a max of 34T on the cassette. That won't help much.

I'd take it to a bike shop and ask them what you need to replace the stock chainring or crankset with a 46/30 unit if that is practical. Sometimes it's worth paying them to do it. While I'm happy with my 48/38/28 triple, It came with the bike. Converting yours over might create more problems then its worth.

This would provide a low gear down to about 25 gear inches. This should be fine for most situations one would use a gravel bike.
Old 03-13-20, 03:10 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I see that it has a braze-on front derailleur mount. That might limit the size of your smallest or even larges chainring if you change the chainring or crankset.

If it's possible to fit it with your existing front derailleur mount, I think a smaller crankset will work better for you and be the most economical fix for you.

Good luck and cheers
There are made adapters to lower a braze-on FD: https://wickwerks.com/products/fit-link-adapter/
You might also be able to install a band-mount derailleur below the braze-on mount.
Old 03-13-20, 03:40 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
There are made adapters to lower a braze-on FD: https://wickwerks.com/products/fit-link-adapter/
You might also be able to install a band-mount derailleur below the braze-on mount.
Thanks. That's a nice idea but wow! $44.50 USD? I'd be very tempted to just cut off the braze-on mount and then use a clamp-on derailleur.

Cheers
Old 03-13-20, 05:13 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Hello All, Good subject. I'm using Sora 3500 drive train on my climbing bike. The RD is a 3500 GS, Shimano specs say 32T is the largest , but I installed a 11x36 and only turned in the "B" screw a few turns and worked perfectly. My 73 year old legs are looking to the future . I was considering a GRX 30/46 (10 speed), but couldn't justify the cost , till last night , while looking through Biketiresdirect, and they have the GRX 30/46 (10 speed) on sale for $90, plus I have a $10 credit, and I jumped on it, free shipping. It's in the mail. Total capacity for the Sora 3500 is 41T and that's exactly what I'll have, with this setup .

This will take me from a 25 GI to a 22 GI. which will serve my legs well. If the 10 speed crank set chain rings are to closely spaced, I have some 0.6mm chainring spacers to solve the problem. I'm assuming the OP has Hollowtech II BB. KB.

OMG: I't now $119. I got it on a "Gold Member" 1 day sale, but still a good price at $119. KB
Old 03-13-20, 06:31 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
I would do the same. Actually I already have! even a 30 front 34 rear is pretty low and I would do that first then consider a cassette change after that if not low enough. The "Sub Compact" cranks are available from Easton, FSA, and a few others... 9-speed is a good drivetrain to work with as road & mountain components are cross compatible.
Old 03-19-20, 03:32 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

OK, just got the GRX 30/46 , 10 spd. Crank set. Works perfectly with my Sora RD/FD , with 11x36 cassette. Nine spd chain works great with the 10 spd crank set, too. Now if the weather will warmup a bite, I can't wait to try out some local hills . KB
Old 03-20-20, 03:00 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
OK, just got the GRX 30/46 , 10 spd. Crank set. Works perfectly with my Sora RD/FD , with 11x36 cassette. Nine spd chain works great with the 10 spd crank set, too. Now if the weather will warmup a bite, I can't wait to try out some local hills . KB
Bringing your gear inches down to about 22.5 from 28.7 ought to make a big difference on tough hills. A low gear of 21.4 gear inches on my Giant Sedona is enough to climb a rather steep hill nearby of soft gravel and loose stone. Pavement or packed gravel would be noticeably easier.

Happy climbing!

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 03-20-20 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-20-20, 04:30 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Bringing your gear inches down to about 22.5 from 28.7 ought to make a big difference on tough hills. A low gear of 21.4 gear inches on my Giant Sedona is enough to climb a rather steep hill nearby of soft gravel and loose stone. Pavement or packed gravel would be noticeably easier.

Happy climbing!
Thanks, I knew GRX came in 11 speed, but when I saw it also came in 10 speed, I started shopping. Now I need a break in the weather , to try it out. This should keep my legs happy for a few more years.

Next upgrade , will be a Wolf Tooth Road Link and install a 40 or 42 cassette.