Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do Coke and vinegar work for chromoly frame rust removal?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 11:57 PM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I have a bike with chromoly 4130 frame, and there are some paint chipping and subsequent rusting on the frame, fork, riser, and handlebar. The riser and handlebar are probably made of some other material. I would like to try remove the rust and then paint over it with some primer rust paint combo.

When I looked up rust removal for bikes, the first results are always coke/vinegar with aluminum foils. Do they work for chromoly as well? Or should I stick to sander paper method that this forum suggested in other threads? Any other compound worth trying?

Hopefully with the screenshots of the rust in the album below I can get the info I need to make it work.

bikeforums.net/g/album/17610520
Old 04-26-20, 06:24 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I would suggest taking off the heavy rust with sandpaper, steel wool or similar means, then using a rust converter to convert the remaining rust to a hard substance which will impede further rust and take paint well. Corroseal, Ospho and Evaporust are frequently recommended.
Old 04-26-20, 06:45 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The coke and/or vinegar (both weak acids) treatment is usually recommended to remove superficial surface rust from Chrome plated parts. For steel, including Cr-Mo steel, sanding followed by priming and painting is the better treatment. A rust conversion treatment of the bare spots before priming is useful but not essential is you do a good sanding job.
Old 04-26-20, 07:03 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Evapo-Rust works much better than vinegar in my experience https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0TLQ66/ref=emc_b_5_i
Old 04-26-20, 08:41 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Try it on corona virus. If it works you'll be a hero.
Likes For berner:
Old 04-26-20, 09:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
IMO, you don't have to remove all evidence of rust before painting. If the areas are large you can take a wire brush to it and knock all the loose off. Don't have to get to shiny metal. If it's just a spot or so here and there, then sand it to get rid of the loose paint and any scaly rust. Decent primer and paint will seal up and cover it for many years to come.

Automotive sanding primer can be used to build up areas that are lower than the rest of the surface around where you may have taken out a lot of old pant and rust. Wouldn't be a bad idea to clear coat all of that tube or part when you finish with your final paint color. They have all that and many colors in the touch up paint section at more auto stores.
Old 04-26-20, 04:58 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.nationalsupplydirect.com...SABEgIDIvD_BwE
Leaves iron phosphate that is like galvanizing. Then paint it.
Old 04-26-20, 09:23 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
There is a Youtube comparing coke vinegar and Evaporust, that is amusing.
It has Good demonstrations that are pretty real world.
All three work.
Comes down to time and money.
Evaporust is pretty cost and time effective. though I would start with mechanical debulking of the corrosion and consider chemical removal an adjunct to that.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 04-26-20 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 07:47 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
When we were kids we needed a new washer installed. The service guy came out and after a short time in the basement he came upstairs and asked our Mother for some Coke. being the wise and frugal Mother she offered juice, water, milk, even her Earl Grey tea. he replied he wasn't thirsty but needed to remove the rust from the water connections. Andy
Old 04-28-20, 01:18 PM
CaptainPlanet

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The coke and/or vinegar (both weak acids) treatment is usually recommended to remove superficial surface rust from Chrome plated parts. For steel, including Cr-Mo steel, sanding followed by priming and painting is the better treatment. A rust conversion treatment of the bare spots before priming is useful but not essential is you do a good sanding job.
Originally Posted by sced
Evapo-Rust works much better than vinegar in my experience
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
There is a Youtube comparing coke vinegar and Evaporust, that is amusing.
It has Good demonstrations that are pretty real world.
All three work.
Comes down to time and money.
Evaporust is pretty cost and time effective. though I would start with mechanical debulking of the corrosion and consider chemical removal an adjunct to that.
​​​​​​​
Should I get both rust remover and converter? Or just one of them will do and then prime and paint over them?

My local shops don't have evaporust, but they do have these in stock

Krud Kutter The Must For Rust, 946 mL, $15
local brand rust remover 236ml, $7
rust check rust killer 236ml, $11
rust check rust converter 236ml, $12

The only place I can find evaporust is online, and it ain't cheap, would cost me $30 minimum. They don't sell it in smaller containers.

I already have rustoleum rust paint, just need to decide which anti-rust strategy to go with.

Rust remover comparison, but I don't know how safe it is to use the more powerful ones. Is Krud Kutter more dangerous than Evaporust?
youtube.com/watch?v=6-MC_ZEXQbw
Old 04-28-20, 01:27 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Try it on corona virus. If it works you'll be a hero.
And maybe President
Old 04-28-20, 09:26 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet
​​​​​​​
Should I get both rust remover and converter? Or just one of them will do and then prime and paint over them?

My local shops don't have evaporust, but they do have these in stock

Krud Kutter The Must For Rust, 946 mL, $15
local brand rust remover 236ml, $7
rust check rust killer 236ml, $11
rust check rust converter 236ml, $12

The only place I can find evaporust is online, and it ain't cheap, would cost me $30 minimum. They don't sell it in smaller containers.

I already have rustoleum rust paint, just need to decide which anti-rust strategy to go with.

Rust remover comparison, but I don't know how safe it is to use the more powerful ones. Is Krud Kutter more dangerous than Evaporust?
youtube.com/watch?v=6-MC_ZEXQbw
I bought a the 32oz container of Evapo-Rust on Amazon for less than $10 and did a bunch of small parts. Amazon sells a gallon for $20 with free shipping. I've used rust converters many times and the Evap-Rust makes them obsolete in my opinion. If you are going to do a whole frame I'd spend the $20 and rig up something to soak it, maybe a section at a time. Then you can finish the frame rust-free.
Old 04-29-20, 12:32 AM
CaptainPlanet

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
I bought a the 32oz container of Evapo-Rust on Amazon for less than $10 and did a bunch of small parts. Amazon sells a gallon for $20 with free shipping. I've used rust converters many times and the Evap-Rust makes them obsolete in my opinion. If you are going to do a whole frame I'd spend the $20 and rig up something to soak it, maybe a section at a time. Then you can finish the frame rust-free.
Amazon only sells the 30 dollar Evaporust where I live, so I ended up getting Krud Kutter for 15. Feels bad for spending so much, but will see how it goes.
Old 04-30-20, 09:06 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
PRODUCT SHOWDOWN! :
https://mechanicshub.com/toolbox/rust-remover-showdown-will-evapo-rust-prevail

This is what I had seen originally Tests coke, vinegar Muriatic acid , CLR, Evaporust and Krudcutter
More than you need to know ,but I have OCD and it is mother's milk to me
I won't cheat you out of the thrilling conclusion (at 10:00 in the vid)

sorry about the underlining, formatting never was my strong suit.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 04-30-20 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-30-20, 02:59 PM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Oil, wd-40 etc., then elbow grease with a brass brush / fine steel wool. Clean it up, see what you got. Tubes are thin, gotta be careful with chemicals.
Old 05-02-20, 04:58 PM
CaptainPlanet

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
Tubes are thin, gotta be careful with chemicals.
Damn, I had a couple droplets of phosphoric acid (Krud Kutter must for rust) down the seat tube. Not a lot, but I didn't let it dry out before I put the seat tube back in.
Probably don't need to neutralize it with baking soda when a lot of people leave their frame in these things overnight and then rebuild their bike again.

Last edited by CaptainPlanet; 05-02-20 at 08:27 PM.