Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pandemic Bike Purchasing

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pandemic Bike Purchasing

Old 05-05-20, 04:26 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Pandemic Bike Purchasing

I was in Walmart today...first time since the stay at home orders in my state (RI). And I was taken aback as I passed the bike isle. With the exception of a single kid's bike...the entire bike rack was empty.

Interestingly, however, there were plenty of helmets available. So hopefully all those new bike purchases don't result in ER head injuries.

Dan
Old 05-05-20, 05:25 PM
ridinginjeans

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Concorde PRX, Scott Scale 29er, Santa Cruz Tall Boy, Blue Norcross EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Contacted a local Trek dealer about a bike for my wife. They are almost sold out, too. Partly a good spring for bike dealers, and partly the supply chain disruptions.
Old 05-05-20, 06:10 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Prices in gragslist ads are going up too.
Old 05-05-20, 07:28 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I called in an order for a light mount at my local shop last week (Trek, Salsa, Santa Cruz, Surly) and he said they are running low on new bikes with July as the current estimate when there stock will begin to be replenished. He parts and supplies were hit or miss depending on what you needed. All this with the store not being open to walk in traffic. When I was there 2 weeks ago there was a line of 3 people waiting to drop off their bikes for repair or pick up repaired bikes.
Old 05-05-20, 07:42 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
A few places like the bike retailer magazine noted that there will be shortages and disruptions to the bike industry back in February. My gut feeling tells me that a lot of 2020 year model bikes, and old stock that was sitting around on dealer floors will be selling out, without a lot of 2021 year model bikes to replace them in June-August, when the new year model bikes are usually released. I think summer-fall 2020 is going to be a difficult time for the cycling industry, after the majority of currently held stock is sold. There will be increased demand, with decreased supply, and like someone noted above, craigslist prices may increase, depending on the local market.

Still, that said, I have optimism for the long term prospects of the cycling industry and the ebike market. The world seems to be undergoing a definite shift, in consciousness as much as anything, as cities around the globe see what urban spaces can be without the presence of automobiles. While the rest of 2020 and perhaps 2021 seem to me to be times to ride the bike you have and save your money, I think in the longer term we will see a resurgent cycling industry with a greater interest in cycling in general.
Old 05-05-20, 07:47 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Bike shops are swamped, everyone is digging their old bikes out and want then fixed up to ride. Those that can't be fixed are buying new bikes.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-05-20, 08:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Prices in gragslist ads are going up too.
I'll take the bait.
Why call it 'gragslist'?
Old 05-05-20, 09:31 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Bike shops are swamped, everyone is digging their old bikes out and want then fixed up to ride. Those that can't be fixed are buying new bikes.
That's what I was thinking. I brought a recently-purchased bicycle in for a dial-in and there were plenty of customers trying out bicycles, getting their existing ones serviced, etc. Someone was buying the same one I had. I think demand will kick the supply production into high gear. China and South Korea been handling the corona virus enormously better than the US.
Old 05-05-20, 10:14 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
That's what I was thinking. I brought a recently-purchased bicycle in for a dial-in and there were plenty of customers trying out bicycles, getting their existing ones serviced, etc. Someone was buying the same one I had. I think demand will kick the supply production into high gear. China and South Korea been handling the corona virus enormously better than the US.
It will be interesting to see how production goes. Taiwan has been remarkably unaffected by the coronavirus, but their sources of raw and semi-processed materials for bike components may be disrupted. I'd be really interested if anyone had any decent up-to-date data on what the current situation is in Taiwan with the bike industry. I am really curious about what's going to happen with model year 2021 bikes from manufacturers like Giant and Merida who also make OEM stuff for other clients, as well as heavily OEM focused companies such as Maxway etc.

Mainland China was obviously hit hard, but they're starting things up again after their lockdowns, and that should see at least some of those Walmart type bikes back in large retail outlets, along with all the cheap accessories etc that go with them.

I'm here in South Korea and while the virus has been handled extremely well here--Wednesday marks the third day in a row that there were no new domestic cases, they're all imported cases at the moment--bicycle manufacturing is low to non-existent. I think Samchully and Alton source their stuff from Taiwan and Mainland China like most other bike companies. Some of their stuff looks like OEM gear bought from a catalog with a Samchully sticker plastered onto it.
Old 05-05-20, 11:28 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
This squares with what my LBS told me a few weeks after the CA stay at home went into effect.
Old 05-06-20, 12:33 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 257 Posts
Don't laugh, but the Covid-19 corona virus pandemic has scared the bahjeebahs out of so many that have seen and heard Dr Anthony Fauchi, and Dr. Jen. Ashton talk each day on television of the importance of exercise as it seems that less active people have perhaps a slightly higher probability of worse outcomes than someone active that is already fit and healthy. This, I believe is as much responsible for getting folks off of their sofas and on to bicycles for the first time in decades, as just the sheer boredom of the stay-at-home lockdown. Nobody wants to get sick with this brutal Covid-19 virus. Everybody saw the first hand reports from Rita Wilson (Tom Hanks' wife) and Alexandra Wentworth (George Stephanopolous' wife) who each battled it for more than 15 days. It ain't like just a very bad case of the flu.
Just in the past day or so, it seems that Diane Sawyer and the CBS 60-Minutes crew battled the virus too. Folks see that yes it can be rough even if it is not bad enough to require hospitalization in the ICU unit. Most people are doing whatever they can to follow social distance guidelines and stay healthy and at the same time do whatever they can do to get into better shape such that they want to try to lessen their risk if that is even the least bit, remotely possible.
Bicycling is good excercise that is relatively low impact and easy enough for most folks to do. Getting out in the sunshine, on a bicycle, to just escape being cooped-up, and stressed out nerves from being indoors watching the 24 hour cable coverage of the new cases, the daily death toll, rising unemployment, toilet paper shortages, and other daily stories which appear far from normal------the new normal, as they are all mentioning................watching too much television and sittin' on the couch with your stress level goin' thru the roof is very tough and is probably not helpful to one's health.
The bicycle is suddenly both a pleasurable escape which is something fun that families can do together which will please both the adults and children.
Exercise is just a beneficial byproduct of this pleasureable escape outdoors on bicycles. It helps with the mental outlook, as such a happy activitity that brings enjoyment may help............., it likely will help in the exercise needed if one does not over-do it such that they hurt themselves or crash the bicycle.
Be kind to your neighbors, friends, and family. If someone has a bicycle that you can install a new inner tube and new brake pads so that they can ride around the block or the cul de sac, or farther, then do it if you can. Most folks do not need fancy or expensive new bicycles. Any cruiser from the fifties can be back on the road in less than one day if it isn't severely rusted. The same is true for any ancient Schwinn multi-speed bicycle with the one-piece Ashtabula crank. Even the inexpensive new Walmart and Target bicycles can be decent bicycles IF ONE TAKES CARE IN ASSEMBLING SAID BICYCLE AND IF ONE SUFFICIENTLY GREASES THE BEARINGS which likely will come new without enough grease, or perhaps almost zero grease that the bearings will self-destruct in months if one does not grease them properly. People do not need really light bicycles. Most people do not need a bicycle with drop bars. A great many folks could not withstand the posture necessary to ride a bicycle with drop bars. It is all about having fun. Some folks might even be better served with one of those 7 speed trikes that you see in Palm Beach Florida and other coastal areas where the rider is a casual rider who is over the age of 70.
Folks who are getting out and about on bicycles are certainly good for the hobby.
Yes, sure, many are old foe-geez who are riding slow speed beach cruisers and kids riding the $120 Walmart and Target specials but the fun is as infectious as Covid-19, and the more people that see ordinary ****ers, and geezers out on bicycles, see it as if those folks are having fun on bicycles, .....uh, a, well, ya know, I could do that myself and it might be fun, and ya know that I think I wouldn't look half as stupid, meaning that it shouldn't or wouldn't be as embarassing as I thought it might be.................I mean if those folks can do it, so can I.---------------------------YOU KNOW THAT IS HOW SOME PEOPLE THINK. THEY JUST NEED "THE APPROVAL" THAT IT IS OKAY FOR THEM TO GIVE IT A TRY, AS THEY WOULD NOT HAVE DARED TRY IT BEFORE SEEING OTHERS HAVING A BALL DOING IT.
This my friends is why the more folks getting on bicycles will be good.
If nothing else, more folks will get a better perspective what challenges everyday cyclists face with respect to traffic patterns, intersections, road conditions, traffic lights, and folks in cars that are distracted drivers, and rude towards cyclists.
If you've got an old bike or the sixth spare bicycle in your collection that you haven't ridden since March 2016, why not loan it or give it to a next door neighbor or friend or other neighborhood neighbor so that they can use it and have fun. Some will undoughtedly want to purchase their own new bicycles after they find out how much they enjoy just ridding around the neighborhood. You don't need to expect them to adopt the skin tight spandex zipper bike jersey with rear pouch pockets and the aero helmet look, but who the heck cares. It is just however one wishes to have fun on a bicycle. People can do it differently and still have fun. Don't change if you have the most fun with the shaved legs, reproduction cycling jersey that is a replica of what your hero once wore or currently wears today. Have the most fun that you can!
It is all about having fun! People do things differently and some say hey look at that yo-yo that looks like a clown on that bicycle! Depending on who is actually saying something like that, it could be the roadie bike warrior who sees someone riding a cruiser with a tank and whitewalls like Pee Wee Herman, or it could be the beach cruiser guy who sees the Spandex/Lycra wearing Lance wanabee that has the aero helmet and the crouched posture with the arms resting on the triathlon bars.
Both like to have fun on bicycles in their own way! Fun is the important thing. Find what makes riding a bicycle the most fun for you!
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 05-06-20, 05:41 AM
russtopherb

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2019 Jamis Allegro Sport

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I was in Walmart today...first time since the stay at home orders in my state (RI). And I was taken aback as I passed the bike isle. With the exception of a single kid's bike...the entire bike rack was empty.

Interestingly, however, there were plenty of helmets available. So hopefully all those new bike purchases don't result in ER head injuries.

Dan
I live in MA but work in RI, and need a new bike. Unfortunately every LBS around the house or the office is either closed entirely, or open only for curbside. I need to get fitted so I'm concerned there will be slim pickings available once everyone is able to re-open for full business.
Old 05-06-20, 07:17 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
From an environmental viewpoint...my fear is that post-pandemic many of those bikes will prematurely find their way to dumps and landfills as people get back to (the new) normal.

Dan
Old 05-06-20, 07:30 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
And on the other side of the spectrum:

People Are Panic-Buying Meat, Toilet Paper … and Pelotons?

With gyms closed and nowhere to go, more people are shelling out $2,245 for the workout bike.

-mr. bill
Old 05-06-20, 07:34 AM
catacombs

Bikes: Kilo TT

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Don't laugh, but the Covid-19 corona..
Anyone got the TL;DR?
Likes For catacombs:
Old 05-06-20, 07:54 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
My neighbor is looking for a MTB for his son. I gave him the name of two good LBSs, he went, they both say they can’t get new bikes right now and they really don’t know when this will change.
Old 05-06-20, 07:57 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by catacombs
Anyone got the TL;DR?
Skimmed it. People are getting on bikes to get healthier, because healthy people have a better chance to survive CV. And also they are bored stiff under house arrest and riding a bike is fun.
Old 05-06-20, 11:26 AM
solman

Bikes: Trek 720 Hybrid, Trek FXS-5

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I concur with the OP. I went to Wal mart about two, three weeks ago for a new tube. The bicycle section looked like a tornado swept thru it. Almost no bike stuff at all. No tires or tubes and only one helmet. As far as bikes there was not a single adult bike in stock. They did have a number of small kids bikes though.
Old 05-06-20, 12:03 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Over the weekend the local trails had more bikes on them than they did in the middle of last summer. It felt like the 4th of July out there. Family groups - dad pulling a buggy, mom, strings of kids on 12" and 16" bikes, packs of teens, walkers, joggers, dogs, and the usual bike racers speeding through the mix. Lots of new shiny bikes out there, so I can imagine that the stores are getting low on stock. Since most bikes are Chinese built it is logical that the supply lines are a mess right now. Chinese vendors on eBay and AliExpress are quoting 2 month delivery times, and that is probably optimistic.

I think this is a good thing. People are getting cabin fever and just need to get out sometime, plus I'm sure the kids are bouncing off the walls. Biking has been listed as an approved outdoor activity during the shutdown and people are taking advantage of it. The trails are relatively safe places for the little kids to ride. The Twin Cities have a lot of bikers, and with the increased activity In the metro area they have closed off sections of streets to provide room for walkers and bikes. The glut of people on the trails is probably driving the go-fast racers nuts - but if they want to go fast there are not many cars on the streets . . . .
Old 05-06-20, 12:10 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
A few places like the bike retailer magazine noted that there will be shortages and disruptions to the bike industry back in February. My gut feeling tells me that a lot of 2020 year model bikes, and old stock that was sitting around on dealer floors will be selling out, without a lot of 2021 year model bikes to replace them in June-August, when the new year model bikes are usually released. I think summer-fall 2020 is going to be a difficult time for the cycling industry, after the majority of currently held stock is sold. There will be increased demand, with decreased supply, and like someone noted above, craigslist prices may increase, depending on the local market.

Still, that said, I have optimism for the long term prospects of the cycling industry and the ebike market. The world seems to be undergoing a definite shift, in consciousness as much as anything, as cities around the globe see what urban spaces can be without the presence of automobiles. While the rest of 2020 and perhaps 2021 seem to me to be times to ride the bike you have and save your money, I think in the longer term we will see a resurgent cycling industry with a greater interest in cycling in general.

I hope you're right! I hope this signals a change in people's biking and using bikes instead of driving. But I also think that people are inherently lazy and most won't stick with it, unfortunately.
Old 05-06-20, 12:18 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Somebody clever could go and buy several container loads of second hand mountain bikes out of Japan and import them to the US.
Likes For alo:
Old 05-06-20, 03:16 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_

Dan
I have seen quite a few what seem like newbies here on the Va Cap trail. Lots of families, some little kids have some pretty nice bikes. A lot of the time I can see a newbie family because the kids have helmets but the parent/parents don't.
Old 05-06-20, 03:24 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
My LBS warned my in March that they expected massive issues with supply out of Asia and that I should order any parts, etc I might want ASAP as they didn't know when things would change. I was in their shop last week to grab a chain and I couldn't believe how the place had been bought out. And... their service guys are getting killed trying to keep up with the stream of old bikes coming in for service. In some ways, a good time to own a LBS....

They're HOPING to get some more bikes in June, but even they think that is somewhat unlikely. It sounds like going right up the supply chain, everything is gone until the cargo ships start moving again. My bike buying plans look like they may have to wait for a year as nobody can even find a road bike my size (58)....
Old 05-06-20, 03:50 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
This time next year. All be back to normal.
Old 05-06-20, 05:11 PM
catacombs

Bikes: Kilo TT

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Skimmed it. People are getting on bikes to get healthier, because healthy people have a better chance to survive CV. And also they are bored stiff under house arrest and riding a bike is fun.
I appreciate the summary, my man.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.