Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sun Tour X-Press 7 speed shifter needs replacing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-20, 05:45 PM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hey all,

I have an old Bianchi Advantage of early 90's vintage that has a Sun Tour XCM derailleur and X-Press accushift plus shifter set. And long story short I snapped off one of the shifter levers last weekend and find myself needing a replacement real derailleur shifter. Aside from trawling Ebay for old stock and replacing the shifter with a friction shifter are there any modern options that are compatible?
Old 07-11-20, 06:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
No, not that I know of. I would suggest you go current Shimano compatible cog set, der and shifter. Once the SunTour freewheel wears out you'll be revisiting this lack of compatibility. Andy
Old 07-11-20, 06:05 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by FelixScout
Hey all,

I have an old Bianchi Advantage of early 90's vintage that has a Sun Tour XCM derailleur and X-Press accushift plus shifter set. And long story short I snapped off one of the shifter levers last weekend and find myself needing a replacement real derailleur shifter. Aside from trawling Ebay for old stock and replacing the shifter with a friction shifter are there any modern options that are compatible?
What cassette are you using? If it's an accushift cassette (on a suntour hub) and you don't want to replace or relace your wheels, your best bet for indexing will be Suntour old stock. They used a wider spacing on the higher gears, which the shifters compensate for.
Apparently the floating guide pulley on Shimano derailleurs will make acceptable shifting using a more common Shimano shifter.
Old 07-11-20, 06:10 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Hm. Looking at Ebay prices now, I stole my X press shifters...

Best to price it out both ways. New drivetrain (maybe add a cog or two) or NOS/used shifters.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 07-11-20, 06:12 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I guess it is 7 speed. If so, you could use Suntour accushift thumb shifters, but the sources are the same.

This is kind of the long and short. The only long term solution, other than friction, is to convert the shifters, derailleurs, and freewheel to Shimano compatible. The only real issue is whether you have a freewheel or a Suntour cassette.

If it is a freewheel you can just buy a cheap Shimano compatible freewheel that will last for a while, or get lucky with an old expensive Sachs Aris freewheel. If it is a Suntour cassette, then things escalate pretty quickly, unless you can re-space it to Shimano cassette spacing. I’ve never re-spaced Suntour so I don’t know the spacer diameters. If you can’t re-space, then a new hub/wheel.

If you are going to go that far, you need to re-consider staying with 7 speeds.

John
Old 07-12-20, 06:56 PM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
What cassette are you using? If it's an accushift cassette (on a suntour hub) and you don't want to replace or relace your wheels, your best bet for indexing will be Suntour old stock. They used a wider spacing on the higher gears, which the shifters compensate for.
Apparently the floating guide pulley on Shimano derailleurs will make acceptable shifting using a more common Shimano shifter.
Hmmm, well I'm feeling a bit dumb. Since I swapped the very worn Suntour freewheel with a Shimano one and wondered about why my shifting was odd, not horrible but odd. Now I know.

So I should just be able to get a Shimano shifter and be fine since it will pull appropriately for a Shimano freewheel (FW 723 14-34)? Or get old gear, or just get a friction shifter.
Old 07-12-20, 07:04 PM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I guess it is 7 speed. If so, you could use Suntour accushift thumb shifters, but the sources are the same.

This is kind of the long and short. The only long term solution, other than friction, is to convert the shifters, derailleurs, and freewheel to Shimano compatible. The only real issue is whether you have a freewheel or a Suntour cassette.

If it is a freewheel you can just buy a cheap Shimano compatible freewheel that will last for a while, or get lucky with an old expensive Sachs Aris freewheel. If it is a Suntour cassette, then things escalate pretty quickly, unless you can re-space it to Shimano cassette spacing. I’ve never re-spaced Suntour so I don’t know the spacer diameters. If you can’t re-space, then a new hub/wheel.

If you are going to go that far, you need to re-consider staying with 7 speeds.

John
It is a freewheel and I already pulled a dumb and swapped the old worn Suntour freewheel with a Shimano one (FW 723 14-34) and wondered about the odd shifting. Now I know better.

So would a Shimano rear shifter work in this case since the freewheel is already Shimano? Or should I just follow that course to the end and swap the shifter and rear derailleur?

The friction shifters are sounding tempting...
Old 07-12-20, 07:18 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by FelixScout
It is a freewheel and I already pulled a dumb and swapped the old worn Suntour freewheel with a Shimano one (FW 723 14-34) and wondered about the odd shifting. Now I know better.

So would a Shimano rear shifter work in this case since the freewheel is already Shimano? Or should I just follow that course to the end and swap the shifter and rear derailleur?

The friction shifters are sounding tempting...
70sSanO already mentioned that. You're golden since you have a freewheel hub. Yes, the derailleur moves as much as the cable pull, so any appropriate width derailleur with enough chain wrap will work. Yes, a 7 speed Shimano shifter should index alright.

Swapping out a worn freewheel from a defunct manufacturer isn't a dumb, especially since Suntour had to stand out with variable cog spacing.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 07-12-20, 10:43 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
You will need to swap out the rear derailleur from Suntour to Shimano if you want to use Shimano index shifters.

The way it works is the shifter pulls a certain amount of cable length that moves the derailleur just the right amount to push the chain onto the next cog. The rear derailleur has a ratio that it will move a 1mm for every 1mm of cable pull to 1.7mm for every 1mm of cable pull depending on the mfg.

I think you can see where this is going. The Shimano shifter will pull a certain amount of cable to move a Shimano derailleur and move the chain from one cog to another. Because Suntour uses a different ratio than Shimano so it will move the chain some other anount. Putting a Shimano freewheel on the hub, doesn’t make the derailleur move the correct distance.

You’ll need Shimano front and rear derailleurs to use Shimano shifters; along with the freewheel you bought.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 07-13-20 at 07:11 AM.
Likes For 70sSanO: