Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbie needs advice on first road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-11, 10:50 PM
native_sun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am new to road biking and am looking to buy my first bike. I don't want to go overboard and spend too much but my experience in other hobbies has taught me that going w/ quality from the outset always pays off, i.e., I don't want to have to upgrade in 6-12 months. A local bike shop has a new Kestrel Talon w/ the Shimano 105 components for $1500. This seems like a pretty good deal, but I would like some advice from folks on this forum.

Also, need some advice on pedals, shoes, etc.
Old 06-12-11, 10:58 PM
Shuagster
Boricua Newb Roadie

Bikes: CAAD10 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do your research. Check out all bikes in your price range. Check Cannondale, Trek, Giant, Felt, Fuji, and all other major brands. Check out all the component families, Shimano Ultegra, Dura Ace, 105, Tiagra; SRAM Red, Force, Rival, Apex; Campagnolo, Super Record, Record... etc. After you have done all this research on the interwebs, go to a couple of shops, see what they got, test ride.

That last thing I mentioned is most important, TEST RIDE. Check out which size bike you need, if the bike is not the right size, you won't enjoy riding much. Establish for what do you want the bike, do you want to race, or just ride recreationally? Do you want a comfortable bike or a bike with a more aggressive geometry. Check out Craigslist if you are open to buying used.

But most important of all, get a bike that you ENJOY riding, cause if you don't enjoy it, it will simply gather dust in your garage.

Best of luck in your search, I not long ago was in the same position as you,

Shuagster.
Old 06-12-11, 11:02 PM
Dean7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're buying new, I'd say: test ride the heck out of every bike in sight (within your price range of course). Choose what feels right to you.
Old 06-12-11, 11:09 PM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it fits you, your budget, and is pretty enough, then buy it and ride it. After a while, then you'll know what you really want. I'd never expect a first bike/shoe/helmet/waterbottle/lover to be the perfect match.