Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

building up to training camp?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 01:10 PM
notwist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will be in Maui for 1 week which I plan to do lots of riding. I plan on treating it as a "training camp" and will do a lot of long rides with lots of climbing. My question is how should I build up to this week of riding? I will be doing some CX racing which will end in October so I only have 6 weeks until my trip. What should I do in those 6 weeks of training? Just ride lots? TIA
Old 08-09-12, 06:32 PM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What am I missing here, the training camp is training for 'cross season? I would think that a training camp might happen in preparation for a race season of sorts. If 'cross ends in October and your trip is in 6 weeks, it would seem that you're doing your trip in the middle of your cyclocross season. It doesn't make any sense. If you just want to be able to do longer rides wile on your trip, just do some longer weekend rides to get ready.
Old 08-09-12, 06:49 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Old 08-10-12, 03:12 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by notwist
I will be in Maui for 1 week which I plan to do lots of riding. I plan on treating it as a "training camp" and will do a lot of long rides with lots of climbing. My question is how should I build up to this week of riding? I will be doing some CX racing which will end in October so I only have 6 weeks until my trip. What should I do in those 6 weeks of training? Just ride lots? TIA
I'm bad at guessing. When are you going to Maui? What kind of lifetime base do you have? What kind of base do you have in the last year or two? What kind of energy levels do you need when not riding in Maui, meaning expectations from others on the trip (if any)? Relative to your normal routine what's "a lot of riding"?

If you're doing a true training camp then the only thing you'll need to do is to get acclimated to long periods of time on the saddle. A 3-5 hour ride every week for 3-4 weeks would do it for me, after that I'm good to go for a "training camp" where I might ride 30+ hours in a week. Normally I ride 2-3 hours during the season and 1-2 of those hours are races.
Old 08-10-12, 09:38 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Debusama
What am I missing here, the training camp is training for 'cross season? I would think that a training camp might happen in preparation for a race season of sorts. If 'cross ends in October and your trip is in 6 weeks, it would seem that you're doing your trip in the middle of your cyclocross season. It doesn't make any sense. If you just want to be able to do longer rides wile on your trip, just do some longer weekend rides to get ready.
I thought cross training just consisted of drinking beer anyway.

my race videos
Old 08-13-12, 08:52 AM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
I thought cross training just consisted of drinking beer anyway.
Yes, and I just finished my building phase... it's hard work.
Old 08-13-12, 10:24 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
OP must be busy training for cross season.
Old 08-13-12, 11:08 AM
mugshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, and I just finished my building phase... it's hard work.
Yep alot of training required, so much so it means going through a lot of training partners that cant keep up
Old 08-13-12, 11:16 AM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The OP disappear? Kind of hard to help, with details left out.
Old 08-13-12, 11:28 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Botto scared him off...
Old 08-13-12, 11:30 AM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A training camp in Maui? Too many distractions and diversions. Training camp should be in a hellish, god forsaken place where you can stay focused on riding and being miserable on the bike allows you forget how horrible the place you're training truly is.

Some place like Nashville, Tennesee.
Old 08-13-12, 11:31 AM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i'd go to Tennessee just to bug fatty!
Old 08-14-12, 07:15 AM
notwist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'll have 6 weeks of riding between my last cross race and when i leave for vacation. My last road race this year was Tour of the Catskills and since then it's just been a lot of JRA, group rides, and the occasional MTB/CX ride.
Old 08-14-12, 07:17 AM
notwist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I'm bad at guessing. When are you going to Maui? What kind of lifetime base do you have? What kind of base do you have in the last year or two? What kind of energy levels do you need when not riding in Maui, meaning expectations from others on the trip (if any)? Relative to your normal routine what's "a lot of riding"?

If you're doing a true training camp then the only thing you'll need to do is to get acclimated to long periods of time on the saddle. A 3-5 hour ride every week for 3-4 weeks would do it for me, after that I'm good to go for a "training camp" where I might ride 30+ hours in a week. Normally I ride 2-3 hours during the season and 1-2 of those hours are races.
I started riding in 2008 but only started racing last year. Last year i rode around 350 hours and this year will probably be around 500 hours. Normally during the season I do a long 3-5 hour ride on the weekend anyways so I think I'll just aim for long hours leading up to my vacation.
Old 08-14-12, 07:39 AM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's only been a week since Catskills?? You make it sound like it was ages ago...

You are over thinking things...I'm going to California at the end of October and won't do anything special leading up to it. With the time put in over the summer racing and training, kicking it up for a 25hr or so week won't be that tough...There's one important thing to remember...You are on vacation, so when you aren't riding you are recovering...At least that's how my wife and I do it. so it's so much easier to sneak a big hour week in when the call of the office isn't there and you can actually sleep in!