Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crank arm backing off the spindle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 09:50 AM
chiproth99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I suspect I will need to replace the crankset and bottom bracket, but I'm looking for a less expensive option.

The free crank arm backs off the spindle of the bottom bracket. The result being that the crank and pedal would fall off, if I let it.

I retighten everything and am good for 5 miles before the crank starts to work itself loose.

Loc-tite on the crank screw has not worked.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Chip Roth
Old 10-25-20, 09:54 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by chiproth99
I suspect I will need to replace the crankset and bottom bracket, but I'm looking for a less expensive option.

The free crank arm backs off the spindle of the bottom bracket. The result being that the crank and pedal would fall off, if I let it.

I retighten everything and am good for 5 miles before the crank starts to work itself loose.

Loc-tite on the crank screw has not worked.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Chip Roth
If this is a square taper crank, and it was run loose for any time at all, it's highly likely that the square hole in the crank arm is distorted and will never stay tight. The crank spindle is probably OK as it is hardened steel. A new crank arm is the solution.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 10-25-20, 09:56 AM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by chiproth99
I suspect I will need to replace the crankset and bottom bracket, but I'm looking for a less expensive option ...Suggestions appreciated.
More information is needed. Manufacture and model of bike and of crankset. What is the crank/BB interface? Is the crankarm or spindle visibly worn? How many miles on the bike, is it getting worse, did it just happen suddenly and since then every 5 miles?
Old 10-25-20, 09:57 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Usually, once a crank arm starts to wiggle, it quickly destroys the fit between BB axle and arm. Getting it to stay on after that often turns out impossible. As luck would have it, manufacturers have realized this and it’s often possible to purchase only the left arm.
The BB axle - being steel - will usually not be damaged.
Old 10-25-20, 11:43 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
If there's a bike co-op near you, they'll have a bin full of crank arms, maybe even sorted by length, for a few bucks each.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 10-25-20, 11:47 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
If this is a square taper crank, and it was run loose for any time at all, it's highly likely that the square hole in the crank arm is distorted and will never stay tight. The crank spindle is probably OK as it is hardened steel. A new crank arm is the solution.
Good advice. The crank arm does not need to match exactly, just the length (should be stamped on the inside of the arm, likely 170mm+/-) and orientation of the taper, "square" or "diamond." Might get a used or takeoff one cheap at a bike shop. Don't forget to torque the attaching bolt/nut sufficiently, and the pedal too, so they don't come loose again.,
Old 12-10-22, 10:23 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I've managed to get quite a few extra miles/kilometres from a worn square taper crankarm by using a gel cyanoacrylic glue to glue a shim to each of the flats on the bottom bracket spindle. That works until I can find the matching crankarm.

Cheers
Old 12-12-22, 12:42 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Just for those stumbling in the thread was started on 10/25/2020 at 11:50am and the final post was that same day at 1:47pm. Not saying that CA glue might or might not help just for folks thinking this was an active new thread.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-12-22, 01:12 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
He started three threads about three different problems. All together, it sounds like a complete cluster ****.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-18-22, 02:51 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 526 Posts
I have used a triangle file to flatten the taper. It has worked on 2 different NDS crank arms. You need to get any and all burrs out of the taper with an eye to preserve the taper. I had to do this on all 4 flats.
Old 12-19-22, 05:41 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Or you can buy a new one at your local bike shop for $15.
Old 12-19-22, 07:21 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
I have used a triangle file to flatten the taper. It has worked on 2 different NDS crank arms. You need to get any and all burrs out of the taper with an eye to preserve the taper. I had to do this on all 4 flats.
Taking off too much material can prevent the arm from seating properly on the axle.
Likes For JohnDThompson: