Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lesson learned today!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lesson learned today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-13, 11:20 PM
dprayvd
makn'a phonecall to doggy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evan938
we ate like kings. it was great.
so good it needs quotin'.
Old 02-18-13, 02:25 AM
jtwilson

Bikes: CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evan938
my buddy rode all last summer with nothing. i don't think he even carried a cell phone, let alone even a spare tube, levers, etc

finally about a month or so ago, he got all the stuff he should carry. flat repair kit, etc. few weeks later, flatted. went to swap it out, spare tube had a hole. LOL. called his wife to come pick him up, pretty sure she had to load all 5 kids in the van to do so (newborn - 9 yrs)

6 of us ran across a guy riding solo end of last year, october maybe, about 10 miles into our ride. carrying his rear wheel, and holding the bike walking it. wasnt sure why he just didnt walk it with the rear wheel on, as it'd roll with a flat, but he wasnt riding it.

we stopped to help him, he had tube, co2, but no levers. lol. we helped him get it changed and he asked us if we were gonna get lunch after. we kinda just said no, he went along changing it, got done, and again asked us about lunch, and told us he owned City BBQ here in columbus. we asked which one, and he said "all of them". said we could go in and get whatever we wanted on him for helping, and just to let him know which one we wanted to go to. we determined the closest one to our start point, 5 of us went in afterwards, he wasn't lying. we ate like kings. it was great.

there's also a new joke when we're riding and someone is off the road, obviously we ask "you ok?" and when they say yes and we pass them, we say "eh, he/she didnt look like a restaurant owner anyways, no need to stop"...hahahah
Hah! Good story. Columbus is my home town. Cool to hear that City BBQ's owner is a rider.
Old 02-18-13, 06:43 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Done the walk, but haven't done it from a spoke since I started building wheels. Last time was a flat with 2 miles left in a TT. clincher disc wheel. Looked over my shoulder going through a corner hoping to catch a quick view to see where my minute man was and WHUMP!!! Pssssssssssssswassssswassssswassssswassss.

It was brutal hot. Burned my feet. Only 2 mile walk though. Minute man said,"hi" as he went by.

Old 02-18-13, 08:33 AM
Carloswithac
Certifiably crazy!

Bikes: Felt Z5, Edict 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, at least your bike now weighs less. Haha!
Old 02-18-13, 08:44 AM
rodzthomas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn. I have had that thought but i still end up taking my phone in my SPIbelt. Lucky u didnt get hurt....
Old 02-20-13, 07:23 PM
AK404
toasty!

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale r200, 2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7; 2007 Redline Conquest Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn, Nick, sorry to hear about what happened, but at least you learned a little something: this is probably one of the big reasons I reserve the center jersey pocket for my smartphone nowadays.
Old 02-20-13, 07:33 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Damn, Nick, sorry to hear about what happened, but at least you learned a little something: this is probably one of the big reasons I reserve the center jersey pocket for my smartphone nowadays.
Tried that, it got drenched with sweat once too often and the screen is dodgy to this day. I decided a small bag on the top bar is the way to go. I can see it, use it as a gps/map display, and it never gets wet.
Old 02-20-13, 08:11 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carloswithac
Well, at least your bike now weighs less. Haha!
DUDE! I should have totally weighed my bike before fixing the spoke
Old 02-20-13, 08:34 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still confused. Cyclists can't walk?

Take shoes off and walk barefoot. I do it all the time.
Old 02-20-13, 08:39 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by krobinson103
Tried that, it got drenched with sweat once too often and the screen is dodgy to this day. I decided a small bag on the top bar is the way to go. I can see it, use it as a gps/map display, and it never gets wet.
Lezyne makes bags that are better than ziplock and completely water proof.
Old 02-20-13, 09:03 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
I'm still confused. Cyclists can't walk?

Take shoes off and walk barefoot. I do it all the time.
I walk barefoot also, but I dont enjoy 6 miles on roughly paved roads while pulling my bike along and carrying my shoes. Lol

Last edited by bianchi10; 02-20-13 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-20-13, 11:15 PM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Unusual for a front spoke to break, but your adventure reminds me of a time when I was on a ride, and had a puncture which I couldn't fix (no spare - my own fault, no repair kit - split was at the base of the valve, so a kit would have been useless), but I did have my cell-phone, so was able to call a cab, but the flat happened on the local MUP, and the nearest intersection where I could meet the cab was a couple of miles away. I was using Look cleats, and luckily I was carrying a pair of rubber covers, so was able to walk in my cleated shoes, actually I found it easier to run in cleats (with covers) while pushing the bike so I arrived at the end of the path at about the same time as the cab. The moral of this story, of course, is to never go out for some fun without taking your rubbers!

- Wil
Old 02-21-13, 09:22 PM
jerrycan42

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty much one of the best reasons I keep a CAA (canuck version of AAA) membership. Good for 200km "tow" home. Always carry a cell!
Old 02-22-13, 09:35 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,529 Posts
Lesson learned is when riding solo, always Fred out and be prepared. All kidding aside, surely there is some kind of footwear out there that could be packed for emergency situations. I ride in clips and straps(for reasons that don't need to be discussed) so shoes are not a problem for me. What about a pair of watershoes? Those can probably be folded or rolled and stored in a jersey pocket or small bag.

Like some people in this thread, I would rather take the walk of shame than call the wife for SAG support. She would just laugh and tell me to get to hoofing it!