Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

RV & Bike Touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

RV & Bike Touring

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-24, 04:01 AM
rv_biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RV & Bike Touring

Hi folks. As a recently-retired cyclist, my wife and I are finally able to travel wherever and whenever we want, to ride various parts of the country. My goal with this thread is to not only share ideas for bike rides, but also nearby campgrounds. She isn't comfortable doing much on-road riding, so we favor trails.

Based on those goals, here are our typical steps for planning bike tours:

1. Pick out a ride we want to do.
2. If the ride is longer than we are able to do in one day, break it up into as many segments as necessary.
3. Plan each day as an out-and-back from wherever we park the car.
4. Based on the steps above, pick a campground within a reasonable driving distance from the trailhead(s).
5. If the trail is longer than works with the above steps, consider using more than one campground, spread out along the trail.
6. If a variety of campgrounds are available within a similar distance, pick the more desirable one.

Using those steps, I have found that we are usually able to compromise on the best campground, vs it's distance from the various trailheads. Of course, there are also times when the campground we end up using is farther from the trail than we could have been, but it is also closer to other non-cycling related activities we want to do. Like everything in life, it's always a compromise.

Anyway, do any of you use an RV in conjunction with bicycle touring? Do you have a similar or better process for planning your tours? Any campgrounds you've used that worked well as a hub for rides? I'll share a couple we have done in future posts, but just wanted to throw this out there to get the ball rolling.

Our next tour will be in the northwest Arkansas area, and from perusing this forum, it looks like the Razorback Greenway definitely needs to be on the list of trails to ride. I haven't picked out a campground yet though. Any other suggestions for rides and/or campgrounds nearby?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rv_biker; 04-21-24 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-21-24, 06:19 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 91 Posts
I will be watching this. As this is similar to what we did this past winter. So I will be looking forward to your experiences and information.