Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

What to do in/around Boston?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 07-19-19, 08:18 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts

Someone (who is not me) decided we'd head over to the Boston area for our vacation next week. Anyone can recommend activities/cool stuff to do in the area (2 adults, 2 late teens)? Doesn't have to be cycling related, but bonus points if it is! We will not have our bikes unfortunately.
Old 07-19-19, 09:04 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
The path around the Charles River basin (Museum of Science up to whatever other bridge of your choice) is nice by any mode.

The core of the city is really very small so getting to the key historic spots by foot doesn't take long.
Old 07-19-19, 09:32 PM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Yeh, you can cover a good bit of ground on foot in an day-evening. I've done a couple visitor trips walking from Fenway (Bleacher Bar is cool, its under the outfield seats at field level and there's only a chainlink fence separating you from the field), down Comm Ave or Newbury St (shopping), to the Boston Public Gardens and into the Boston Common, could check out Beacon Hill and then work your way to the North End for touristy (but good) italian food. From there you can walk along the harbor to the Waterfront area and in Financial District as a big loop. That's a day-dinner-after dinner time frame. That's Boston proper, but there's also lots in Cambridge/Somerville.

Any specific interests or goals?

Last edited by TXBDan; 07-20-19 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-19-19, 11:35 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12171 Post(s)
Liked 1,479 Times in 1,092 Posts
The aquarium, Cambridge.
Old 07-20-19, 06:10 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Someone (who is not me) decided we'd head over to the Boston area for our vacation next week. Anyone can recommend activities/cool stuff to do in the area (2 adults, 2 late teens)?

Doesn't have to be cycling related, but bonus points if it is! We will not have our bikes unfortunately.
Originally Posted by TXBDan
Yeh, you can cover a good bit of ground on foot in an day-evening.

I've done a couple visitor trips walking from Fenway (Bleacher Bar is cool, its under the outfield seats at field level and there's only a chainlink fence separating you from the field), down Comm Ave or Newbury St (shopping), to the Boston Public Gardens and into the Boston Common, could check out Beacon Hill and then work your way to the North End for touristy (but good) italian food.

From there you can walk along the harbor to the Waterfront area and in Financial District as a big loop. That's an afternoon-dinner-after dinner time frame. That's Boston proper, but there's also lots in Cambridge/Somerville.

Any specific interests or goals?
Originally Posted by late
The aquarium, Cambridge.
I live on Comm Ave (Commonwealth Avenue) on the route described by @TBXDan. And I have considered myself as Boston’s Ambassador to Bike Forums:
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Neighbors [from Texas] just back from Boston

Anyway they had a great time in Boston. They brought me this t-shirt when I put it on I started dropping the Rs like car became caw lol.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’m transplanted from Detroit and have lived here for over forty years. Love this place, and I have posted:
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Been years since I have been there. It is an awesome city. One of my top favorites. Was there with a co-worker for a conference. We had dinner in the Italian distinct

If you ever get a chance to visit then go. A city well worth a visit.
... All my visitors have a great time here. Not to brag, but e.g…
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Well, all the ones which made it out alive ...
I really enjoy showing visitors around Boston on informal walking tours [or bikes], and I would offer that to a fellow BF subscriber, but I'm a pretty busy person, and would need a heads up to see if I'm available at a mutually agreeable time
Originally Posted by miss kenton
...Our trip to Boston was more fun than I could have ever anticipated. I would highly recommend a visit to Boston to anyone. What a beautiful city--and if you are lucky enough to have someone as conscientious, thoughtful, and generous as Jim from Boston guiding you through that trip, you'll have it made!

We were able to see some really interesting things in Boston, and Boston has a great deal to offer. We were only there for the weekend, but I wish we had had more time to see the city.
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I loved Bahstahn a bunch, one cannot really call it a college town, it is the college town and consequently has become very bike friendly.

I was really impressed with the bike infrastructure developed in the town and the overall safety of the city..
Originally Posted by rtool
Spent a great weekend with Jim (Jimfromboston). Arrived Friday afternoon and we took off for a ride around the city...

Jim is quite the tour leader. Very knowledgeable about Boston and passed on lots of it’s history. We also ate extremely well. Everything from fresh fish to Italian, and ending Sunday evening at a Thai restaurant. All-in-all it was a great weekend...
I also have suggested Boston specifically as a cycling destination:
Suggestions for next epic ride

Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston (link) that would make a nice hub and spoke tour … It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great.

One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene. Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate.

Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture, nightlife, sports and so forth.…If you’ve never been here before, the experience may be even more…epic.
So, perhaps my reply is vague, but your request is pretty open-ended. I’m adventurous when I visit a new city, so here’s the most basic suggestions I would give myself.

First, do a trolley tour. The main historic and vibrant part of Boston is quite compact, but geographically pretty confusing. A trolley tour would orient you and likely suggest activities for your particular interests. IMO the Duck Boat tours are the most popular but kind of gimmicky, with a plunge into the Charles River. I recommend the Olde Towne Trolley.

As previously noted, Boston is THE Walking City. The stroll suggested by @TBXDan is somewhat peripheral to downtown, and I would suggest it as part # 2 of a Walking Tour. Part #1 is the easily found, navigable and interesting Freedom Trail.

A very convenient way to get around are the Blue Bikes Share System with many close docking stations covering a wide territory where you might want to go. There are also guided tours by bikes and even Segways. Of course as mentioned the Boston street system and drivers can be confusing so be careful, even as pedestrians.

I would be glad to answer specific questions, or make specific recommendations on this thread or by PM. I will suggest two other first-rate museums besides the aforementioned Aquarium: the Museum of Science, and particularly the spectacular Museum of Fine Arts.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-20-19 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-20-19, 06:57 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Find and walk the contour lines that delimit areas that will go under the waves with each foot of sea level rise.
Old 07-20-19, 07:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Someone (who is not me) decided we'd head over to the Boston area for our vacation next week. Anyone can recommend activities/cool stuff to do in the area (2 adults, 2 late teens)?

Doesn't have to be cycling related, but bonus points if it is! We will not have our bikes unfortunately.
I live on Comm Ave (Commonwealth Avenue) on the route described by @TBXDan. And I have considered myself as Boston’s Ambassador to Bike Forums

I also have suggested Boston specifically as a cycling destinationI’m adventurous when I visit a new city, so here’s the most basic suggestions I would give myself…
When I visit a city, even for a conference, or with family on vacation, I like to get in some”serious cycling,” mostly in the early AM, around other activities. If I don’t bring my my own bike I like to rent.

FYI, My own Bike Shop, Back Bay Bikes, located in the near downtown on Comm Ave rents quality (at least satisfactory) bikes, and I do believe they have road bikes and will install your own pedals.

BTW, parking is problematic, or expensive in the vibrant areas of Boston mentioned above, but a car is not necessarily useful, and even can be detrimental.
…We live in an area with tight parking restrictions. nearly entirely two-hour metered parking, except on Sundays and Holidays, from 8 AM to 6 PM; many residential-only spots with vigorous enforcement; and only one block in this high-density residental and commercial neighbor with time-unlimited parking with a residential sticker.

We do own one deeded full-time unlimited parking space…
I once got a $100 ticket for briefly parking in the bike lane in front of the shop.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-20-19 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-20-19, 07:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Old Ironsides if they still give tours or get west to visit the re enactors out by battle road etc Fenway park tour or get in line at window on side of the green monster st 6am to get standing room only tickets then sell them for double to a scalper you can buy 2 tickets per person so 3 of you can buy 6 tickets then sell the tickets you don’t need and thereby get in for fee rent a car get out of town to the cape leave early enough to cross the canal by 6am and go to white crest beach wellfleet on top of dune then after beaching take a little shuttle or walk 1/10 mile to the beach comber for clams tequila beer and burgers then go back in the water znd look for sharks then after five go to great pond for a fresh water dip thus time of year it’s the best place to be - good luck!
Old 07-20-19, 07:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by rseeker
Find and walk the contour lines that delimit areas that will go under the waves with each foot of sea level rise.
That’s a pretty specific recommendation, @rseeker.

If the visitors are interested in historical esoterica, one of my local colleagues, a student of history as well as a member of the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) has taken her sons along Battle Road, the Route of the British soldiers from and back to Boston for the Battles of Lexington and Concord, looking for the graves of fallen Redcoats.

Actually the Minute Man National Historical Park (link) in Lexington is quite interesting.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Old Ironsides if they still give tours or get west to visit the re enactors out by battle road etc…
…The adventuresome part began in Lexington where we were directed onto the Minuteman Historic National Park. This is a 5 mile long roughly-paved to hard pack to slightly sandy trail with historic makers.

It traces the path the British took to return to Boston from the fights at Lexington and Concord. There are signs that are marked by descriptions of, and the time of day that various skirmishes occurred during the march. I had never been there and I switched from tour guide to tourist along with the others.

Also a few historic houses and visitor centers are along the route, such as the Capt. Wiliam Smith House pictured below. The family tended to a mortally wounded British soldier for his last few days and he gave them gold sovereign he had hidden in his coat. Captain Smith was cousin of Abigail Adams.

While riding the trail, we saw a demonstration of how the Minutemen loaded and fired their muskets…

The image of this statue of a Minuteman with rifle was on US Government Savings Bonds when I was a child in the (Cold War)1950's (not me in the photo):

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-20-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-20-19, 07:53 AM
TXBDan

Jim from Boston, can you elaborate on some of the spots you've hit on your tours? I'm always looking for new things to to do. I first moved to Brookline 10yrs ago, gf lived in Allston so hung out there a lot, then we moved to Davis Sq in Somerville for most of that chunk. Now we're a few towns north in the Melrose Highlands area. Funny about the concept of it being hard to cross the river. Boston people stay on the Boston side and Cambridge/Somerville people stay on that side. For that reason i know Cambridge/Somerville best. We also both work in Cambridge.

+1 on a tour! I've been on four duck boat tours with various visitors and love them! I always ask to drive, but they always give it to some punk 8yr old kid! ha ha ha. I've never done a trolley tour but that'd be good too. The point is to get a lay of the land and learn some interesting history and facts. Example, at Bean Town Pub you can drink a Sam Adams while looking at Sam Adam's grave!

We very rarely venture down to the shopping/china town district. Pretty much only to Jacob Wirths for a piano night or for theater stuff. And "hot tea" in my younger days I'm sure there's lots to see and do. Seaport area is blowing up. Seems like we're brought down there for various events lately.

We got married in the Boston Public Garden and had our rehearsal dinner at Stoddards which is one of our favorite spots. It's hard to recommend places with teenagers as our spots tend to be food and alcohol centric. Lots of breweries in the area.

I've lived all over the US and kind of moved to Boston on a whim. Glad i did, it's a great little city.

If the kids are old enough, could you split up for a few hours? That might be exciting for them. It's very easy and safe city. But yeh, it's big enough to have a lot of stuff to do, you'll need to be more specific about interest. food, music, art, history, academic'y stuff like Harvard/MIT/BU campuses.
Likes For TXBDan:
Old 07-20-19, 09:28 AM
Jim from Boston

Jim from Boston, can you elaborate on some of the spots you've hit on your tours? I'm always looking for new things to to do.

I first moved to Brookline 10yrs ago, gf lived in Allston so hung out there a lot, then we moved to Davis Sq in Somerville for most of that chunk. Now we're a few towns north in the Melrose Highlands area...

We very rarely venture down to the shopping/china town district. Pretty much only to Jacob Wirths for a piano night or for theater stuff. And "hot tea" in my younger days ...

Funny about the concept of it being hard to cross the river. Boston people stay on the Boston side and Cambridge/Somerville people stay on that side. For that reason i know Cambridge/Somerville best. We also both work in Cambridge....
Hi @TXBDan,

Thanks for that nice reply. I wasn’t sure Jacob Wirth's was still open as the place to go for German food. I tout Boston mainly for it’s seafood and Italian; also of course there is Chinatown, and good Asian restaurants. BTW my wife and I have three most frequently-visited restaurants in Malden, including Italian, Asian fusion, and a bistro.

My tours for family and friends usually start from Kenmore Square where we live, to include Fenway Park. We then proceed to Back Bay as you described, and beyond.

Most frequently though, I take visiting colleagues attending professional conferences at the Fairmont Copley Plaza on a walking tour further on towards the ocean:
I often tout Boston as the epitome of LCF/LCL[Living Car Free / Lite] in America, not to brag, but illustrate the possibilities. When I take visitors on a 4-5 mile walking tour of downtown Boston, I introduce it with this explanation:

Several years ago, the architectural critic of the Boston Globe, Robert Campbell, was visiting Southfield, Michigan, a town I know well, and described it as the "City of Towers and Cars" (including "busy highways and vast parking lots" [and tall office buildings, and sprawling office and retail parks]).

In his article, he contrasted that that to the "City of Outdoor Rooms" (Boston) which is visited as one would visit a person’s home, passing through the various portals, from room to room, admiring the furnishings within.

That’s the motif I use on my tours as we start in the Back Bay, and pass through the Public Garden, Boston Common, Washington St and Quincy Market, the North End, Beacon Hill and back to Back Bay. The walk becomes the destination.
So true about the Charles River a barrier, not only to citizens of Boston and the near suburbs, but the entire Metro Area.

I work south of Dedham, and that entire region south of the River is oriented towards Cape Cod, and rarely ventures into Boston. A colleague once said to me that going to the City means Newton Center.

My wife initially worked in Salem when we moved to Boston, so we are also quite accustomed to the north of the Charles, and indeed we have a vacation place in Rockport on Cape Ann.

BTW, I noted that just recently, and today, you posted to the Metro Boston regional discussion forum. I don’t know your cycling background, but FYA, I have posted to new cyclists moving here:
For a nice, friendly Metro Boston hang out on BikeForums, see this thread on the Regional Discussion Forum, "Metro Boston: Good ride today?," started in 2009, with over 7000 replies.

Also, I have posted a Cyclists Guide to Metro Boston[ (link), with information about road cycling, bikepaths, and taking your bike on the (T) (subway) and Commuter Rail.

By way of introduction, I’m a decades long lifestyle cyclist…year-round commuting, road cycling and touring.
BTW, I don’t list my location under my avatar, but it is “D’uh” [in Kenmore Square].

Jim from Boston
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Whenever I see a series of nested quotes, I think "it's Jim from 'Duh' again."
Originally Posted by Stun
My experience is that people drive differently in every city and treat cyclists very differently. The best advice often comes from cyclists that live the closest to you …

The exception here would also be Jim from Boston--anyone that can successfully commute around Boston has my full respect and probably knows how to deal with about every intersection imaginable!
Sign in Brookline:

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-20-19 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-20-19, 05:00 PM
ChinookTx

Thanks to everyone who replied, much appreciated. We now have a very nice list of things to try and go see. I intentionally left my post very vague, since a) I had no idea what I wanted to do and b) didn't want to limit the responses. Hopefully the exchange rate doesn't force us to re-mortgage the house...
Old 07-21-19, 03:57 AM
Jim from Boston

Thanks to everyone who replied, much appreciated. We now have a very nice list of things to try and go see. I intentionally left my post very vague, since a) I had no idea what I wanted to do and b) didn't want to limit the responses. Hopefully the exchange rate doesn't force us to re-mortgage the house...
Hi @ChinookTx,

I like to respond to travel requests about Boston or my home state Michigan, and I frequently add,
BTW, over the years I have responded to several of these threads with open-ended requests for travel destinations. One thing they have in common is that the OP never informs us of the final destination, much less how was the trip, even when requested to do so.
So I hope you’ll let us know, e.g. where did you stay, where did you go, what did you eat? At least to validate and enhance our suggestions.

BTW, after I posted my suggestions yesterday I was waiting for a train to Boston and met a family from Toronto that were in that suburban town for a Hockey tournament (in the hottest days of July). They had only one day to get into Boston, and I was primed to suggest concisely what to do.
Old 07-21-19, 07:42 AM
09box

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sam Adams tour. One of the best brewery tours I've done hands down.!
Old 07-21-19, 12:21 PM
TXBDan

Originally Posted by 09box
Sam Adams tour. One of the best brewery tours I've done hands down.!
Sam Adams tour is good, but its a bit out of the way. If going there you could maybe include Jamaica Plain or Brookline in the tour. There are so many good microbreweries around. Definitely check out Trillium and their beer garden on the greenway. Aeronaut in Somerville, Nightshift in Everett also great. If yo udo Nightshift, you can also visit the new distillery across the street. They do really good gins, but do a bit of everything. I like their spot better than Nightshift, it's smaller.
Old 07-21-19, 12:27 PM
TXBDan

JimFromBoston, by "have" do you mean you guys own those restaurants? Which are they if you don't mind? I need more Malden recommendations as we don't visit there often enough. I keep hearing about the good food there. We'll certainly check them out! If you venture farther up that way, check out Tahpas 529 in Melrose. It's our favorite restaurant in the area. The owners also own Coffee Tea and Me in Melrose and La QChara, also very good. We've been a bit disappointed with several of the new hyped up restaurants in Wakefield/Melrose/Stoneham so we're glad to have this one just a couple blocks from our house.
Old 07-21-19, 03:34 PM
Jim from Boston

JimFromBoston, by "have" do you mean you guys own those restaurants? Which are they if you don't mind? I need more Malden recommendations as we don't visit there often enough. I keep hearing about the good food there. We'll certainly check them out!

If you venture farther up that way, check out Tahpas 529 in Melrose. It's our favorite restaurant in the area. The owners also own Coffee Tea and Me in Melrose and La QChara, also very good. We've been a bit disappointed with several of the new hyped up restaurants in Wakefield/Melrose/Stoneham so we're glad to have this one just a couple blocks from our house.
I'll send a PM.
Old 07-23-19, 03:18 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Hmmm. Lots of good suggestions already. I presume you will be driving in? You are much better off ditching your car either at your hotel or at one of the MBTA garages/parking lots (though places like Alewife get very congested and fill up early). Very much true on the weekdays. On the weekends (and after 5pm - if you don't mind traffic jams), if you're going into the city, it might actually be cheaper and less hassle to drive in - I very much like the Post Office Square garage at $9 for the whole day. Otherwise our parking rates are insane.

Some bulleted ideas:
  • If you're in the city, walking around the Greenway is nice (as mentioned, stop by Trillium's beer garden), doing the Harborwalk, watching the outdoor seal display at the Aquarium (State Street Provisions is a good place to eat), yachts at the Christopher Columbus park, then wandering around the North End. Stand in line at Mike's Pastry (tip, there are many lines, pick the shortest one) but if you don't want to deal with the crowds, that's fine, Modern Pastry is just as good in my opinion and typically has fewer people inside. I haven't done extensive dining in the North End so can't recommend much (Neptune Oyster is great I've been told), but for a coffee place I and coworkers who live there like The Thinking Cup and not too far from Modern Pastry, in a hidden alleyway is a cool Italian sandwich shop and Bricco Panneteria (the location isn't quite right even on Google Maps, it's next to the Salumeria). You might also see some food trucks next to the Greenway Carousel.
  • If you're up for a lot of walking, I would pop into the Seaport across the Congress St. bridge and follow the Harborwalk there, e.g. Fan Pier Park. The Seaport has been growing like crazy so my knowledge of it is completely outdated, although from places to eat Flour is still there, so is Row34 but it's probably going to be too pricey for 4 people at your exchange rate. Legal Test Kitchen was pretty good when I went a couple years ago and not outrageously expensive but might be on par with Row34.
  • There's of course Faneuil Hall but it's too touristy for my tastes. Boston Common, of course, but it's a bit of a walk from the rest. If you're heading that way, Sam LaGrassa makes really good, though pricey sandwiches - and only for weekday lunch (11am-3:30pm). Their roasted pastrami are fantastic.
  • If you do think you want to rent bikes, there's a place in the North End which seems to be very popular, Urban AdvenTours https://goo.gl/maps/aHPd8KLWwAhFphSE7. I've seen their signature-green bikes all over the Charles River Bikepath and even all the way out past Lexington and in the Minuteman NP (more on that in a sec). Do the south side of the river because the Esplanade is nice, but the north (Cambridge) side is much better for views. Either way, it's a great ride.
  • Castle Island is a fun place for a half-day walkaround, but you have to drive here (or take a taxi/uber/lyft). Parking is easy though.
  • Harvard Square... could probably take a whole post. Cambridge in general, especially if you get into all the bars/restaurants.
  • The Minuteman NP is a great place and one of my favorite, IMO very underused parks. But as a touristy place, especially for a Canadian family who's probably not that interested in the American Revolution, it's a bit out of the way, in the suburbs. Sure it is historic, but it really is just a nice, long linear park. So unless you are up for a walk in the woods or you're passing it by on your way somewhere else, I wouldn't go out of my way to see it. If you do go, though Lexington has the Tres Petite Creperie, I would pick Concord over Lexington as a better place to have lunch with places like Haute Coffee (like THE premier cycling destination in Cycling Hub of Concord, expect to see cyclists coming through there all the time) and Main Streets.
  • If you really are itching to get out of the city, or if you are interested in seeing coastal scenery - and I highly recommend you do that - two great North Shore communities are Newburyport and Cape Ann - Gloucester/Rockport. The latter two because you can do them in one day. Walk around the quarry and look out to the horizon at Halibut Point (and walk out to the big rocks to the East), then do a quick stop at Rockport to enjoy the view of the harbor. Gloucester is a short drive south, Cape Ann Brewery is a great place for an outdoor lunch. If you want to stop at a beach, Crane Beach, Wingaersheek, and Good Harbor are very popular but parking isn't cheap - like $20 (maybe less on a weekday) and can fill up VERY early on the weekends, think 8-8:30am. Near Newburyport I like the Maudslay State Park with views of the Merrimack or Parker River NWR . Good places to eat are Brown Sugar if you like Thai sit-down or Dos Amigos Burritos for quick Mexican. There are places on the South Shore like Cohasett and Scituate but I'm not too familiar with them. Nantasket Beach in Hull is great but parking, as always, can be tough if you get there late.

Last edited by autonomy; 07-23-19 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-24-19, 09:09 PM
TXBDan

Ah the great cannoli debate. I've had three groups of friends/family visit and with each of them we did blind taste tests. We even made score cards once with a big group. We tried like four different cannolis in the north end. Each time Mike's won. Not the result i was pulling for, but it is what is!
Old 07-24-19, 10:39 PM
Kent2019

Bikes: Kent Cruiser 7spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There is the Boston Aquarium and the John F Kennedy Library Museum. Both have terrific ocean views. If you're into eating at non chain restaurants have you ever picked the right city. Fenway has tours of the stadium I believe. Fanueil Hall where there is all sorts off foods and goods. There is also onown to be street performers who play music and so on. There is also the Hard Rock Cafe.
Old 07-27-19, 04:17 PM
ChinookTx

Ok, so, I'm back from Boston. Good news is, I'm still alive. Man, driving downtown is for sadistic people!! Who designed these roads???? ;-)

Ashamed to say I let SWMBO and my daughter decide on the "attractions" (call it buying peace) so we spent a crazy amount of money on the tourist traps (Science Museum, Aquarium, Harvard, Shopping, etc). And parking.... ohhh parking... Now, I get it, they don't want you to drive your car. When we were all museum'd out, we brought the kids to Six Flags New England. Yipppeeeee...

I guess I'll have to go back and do what I want to do in that beautiful area, cause I definitely did not this time around.

If you read this far, and haven't figured it out yet, yes, this was a rant! :-/
Old 07-27-19, 05:41 PM
Jim from Boston

Hi @ChinookTx,

I like to respond to travel requests about Boston or my home state Michigan, and I frequently add,
BTW, over the years I have responded to several of these threads with open-ended requests for travel destinations. One thing they have in common is that the OP never informs us of the final destination, much less how was the trip, even when requested to do so.
So I hope you’ll let us know, e.g. where did you stay, where did you go, what did you eat? At least to validate and enhance our suggestions…
BTW, parking is problematic, or expensive in the vibrant areas of Boston mentioned above, but a car is not necessarily useful, and even can be detrimental.

I once got a $100 ticket for briefly parking in the bike lane in front of the shop.
Ok, so, I'm back from Boston. Good news is, I'm still alive. Man, driving downtown is for sadistic people!! Who designed these roads???? ;-)

Ashamed to say I let SWMBO and my daughter decide on the "attractions" (call it buying peace) so we spent a crazy amount of money on the tourist traps (Science Museum, Aquarium, Harvard, Shopping, etc).

And parking.... ohhh parking... Now, I get it, they don't want you to drive your car.

When we were all museum'd out, we brought the kids to Six Flags New England. Yipppeeeee...

I guess I'll have to go back and do what I want to do in that beautiful area, cause I definitely did not this time around.

If you read this far, and haven't figured it out yet, yes, this was a rant! :-/
Maybe a rant, but I enjoyed reading, and I hope you enjoyed your visit...Hurry back.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-27-19 at 05:48 PM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 07-27-19, 05:58 PM
ChinookTx

Forgot to mention, since this is a cycling forum after all... anyone biking in the downtown core gets my utmost admiration. You'd have to pay me a lot of money to ride my bike there...

Also, thanks for the brewery tour suggestions. Being now a non-drinker, I didn't pursue these leads, but I'll admit all the references to Sam Adams and other local brews triggered me a few times!
Old 07-27-19, 06:34 PM
Jim from Boston

Ok, so, I'm back from Boston. Good news is, I'm still alive. Man, driving downtown is for sadistic people!! Who designed these roads???? ;-)...
Forgot to mention, since this is a cycling forum after all... anyone biking in the downtown core gets my utmost admiration. You'd have to pay me a lot of money to ride my bike there...

Also, thanks for the brewery tour suggestions. Being now a non-drinker, I didn't pursue these leads, but I'll admit all the references to Sam Adams and other local brews triggered me a few times!
No matter where I travel, Sam Adams is my choice for a beer.

And, FYA,

Originally Posted by Stun
My experience is that people drive differently in every city and treat cyclists very differently. The best advice often comes from cyclists that live the closest to you …

The exception here would also be Jim from Boston--anyone that can successfully commute around Boston has my full respect and probably knows how to deal with about every intersection imaginable!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-27-19 at 06:41 PM.