Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Which 50+rs rode today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Which 50+rs rode today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-05, 01:27 PM
steel_knee

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
17 Miles today along ocean front bikepath in Ventura. Been back riding for about a month now. Cofused about weigh changes, first week lost 5 pounds. Siince I'v gained seven. Been riding every day about 10 to 15 miles a day.
Old 06-22-05, 04:47 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One hours worth @ 14 mph average. One godawful climb, short (1/4 to 1/3 of a mile, give or take), but steep, probably a 120 foot elevation change..., well, not probably, according to my USGS topo map, that's exactly what it was... I was crankin' along at a smooth 3 mph by the time I got to the top. You could have walked it faster than I pedaled for the last 200 feet. That last stretch is the steepest part of the climb; it's an absolute bi*ch. After that, it was all gravy. Twisty, windy, downhill, little rollers, light traffic. The homeward half was with a nice tailwind. The climb was worth what was on the other side.
Old 06-22-05, 11:47 PM
hjbiker43

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain biked about 20 miles near Wrightwood in SoCal. Rode the "Fault Trail" (sits on top of the San Andreas) down to Jackson Lake. What a beautiful day: clear blue skies, not too hot and all to ourselves. Lots of stream crossings as a result of all the snow we had this winter so we got some good mud on the bikes and ourselves. Stopped at the word famous Yodeler upon arriving back in Wrightwood for some burgers and mixed in well with the other cyclists (motor type). The food, beer and company was great! It just doesn't get any better than this!!!
Old 06-23-05, 05:16 AM
jabike

Bikes: Lemond Buenos Aries, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 4500, plus many more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode last night in an organized ride along the bike/golf cart paths of Peachtree City, Georgia. I rode about 20 miles on my own before the ride and then rode the 12 mile organized ride. My normal Wednesday night ride. Tonight I change to my road bike for an organized short ride of about 25 miles. Lots of hills for the first 8-10 miles that really get your heart soaring, and then the last 15 miles become a survival game.
Old 06-23-05, 10:02 AM
Cyclic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my usual half hour ride to work through the nicest
neighborhoods in town. No more movie crew it seems -
I almost miss weaving in and out of that mess, jumping
on to lawns and over cable bundles! Never saw Meg
Ryan but they say she was there sometime...
Old 06-23-05, 01:00 PM
James55Thompson

Bikes: IBEX Classic; Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute 7.5 miles into work each day. Then I take a longer route home, for the additional miles and to stay off of the main roads. The ride is the best part of my day!!
Old 06-23-05, 05:44 PM
Litespeed
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting a bit warm in Southern California but I got out on my lunch hour anyway and had a great time even if I did come back all smelly and sweaty. (Luckily I work at home so no one had to see me sweaty)
Old 06-23-05, 07:17 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeed
Getting a bit warm in Southern California but I got out on my lunch hour anyway and had a great time even if I did come back all smelly and sweaty. (Luckily I work at home so no one had to see me sweaty)
Well, maybe no on sees you sweat, but you told all of us about it, and PHEW! It sure stinks around my computer!
Old 06-23-05, 08:40 PM
Litespeed
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just took a shower -- hope that better
Old 06-23-05, 11:03 PM
neilG

Bikes: Madone, De Rosa, Langster, old Brit track iron

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
40 today, 42 yesterday. Not too hot here in Ventura.
Old 06-24-05, 05:56 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeed
Just took a shower -- hope that better
I love your after shower lotion!
Old 06-24-05, 05:27 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One hour and twenty minutes at a 13.6 mph average. The first 45 minutes went at a 15.3 mph average, THEN I turned for home - into the wind...

Watched a p-51 Mustang pass at about 75-100 feet over the local airport - awesome to behold!!
Old 06-24-05, 06:23 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pleasant ten miler around Lake Miramar, a reservoir in San Diego, CA.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-24-05, 07:07 PM
Paiyili
pAIYILI

Bikes: Specialized Crosroads Sport (Hybrid)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
40 miles in Southeast Pennsylvania backroads. Circuitous route from Quakertown to Green Lane and back. 90 degrees nonwithstanding, it was a nice ride.
Old 06-24-05, 09:46 PM
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TWO BIG MILES to work and THREE BIG MILES home.
Old 06-25-05, 02:50 PM
GrannyGear
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
35 miles with a few rollers and lotsa breeze. Nobody threw anything at me today! First day out with my new Rivendell Noodle bars (from Nitto). I recommend them highly. Very flat ramps on top while still keeping the flats at the bottom of the drops horizontal to the ground. (I notice how many people are now tilting their anatomics at severe angles to get those "flat ramps" on top.) Noodles have traditional bend and long flats at the bottom. Also, the tops are slightly angled back for hand comfort for those who ride up there. Good bar....about $43 at Rivendell.

Also, I tried a 46 cm. wide (ctr to ctr) and surprized myself ...I'm 5'8" and very medium..but these "wide" bars are very comfy no problems.
David.
Old 06-27-05, 04:32 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One hour and twenty minutes at a 12.5 mph average...

HOT!! Low 90s HUMID!! Didn't feel like a dose of heat stroke today, so I took it easy. I still felt a little woozy after the ride. My water bottles went lukehot on me. That kind of distressed my stomach a little. Go slow and easy in the heat...if at all.
Old 06-27-05, 08:42 PM
pcmike
Jer. 29:11

Bikes: Gary Fisher Superfly, Bianchi Axis, Trek Madone 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20 miles in 95 degree heat wave on my new Bianchi Axis.

My Ride Blog
Old 06-27-05, 08:56 PM
dgaddes

Bikes: Trek '01 2200 (sold), '04 5 500 (sold), 2013 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A whopping 12 miles at 13.5 mph avg. Man I'm slow!
Old 06-28-05, 01:27 AM
berts
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
early morning 42 mile commute (2x per week) 900 ft up, avg velocity 18.6 mph. I'm working on 20 mph. the other days i take the company shuttle.
Old 06-29-05, 06:36 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One hour and 15 minutes at 14.1 mph average... Had a 15 mph average going until I turned for home...I'll never see the speed averages others are attaining. I'm in the hole on my average speed in the first 15 minutes of the ride, due to warm-up speed...

I can maintain 18-20 mph for a couple of miles after i warm up, but then I'm down to 13 or 14 until I recover a little bit. I have not yet learned the fine art of riding a consistent speed. I'm guessing these guys riding 18 - 19 mph averages are popping some 25 mph+ stretches?? Pretty impressive for old guys...

Looked up some historical speed averages for TDF and other big races, then checked out some race speed averages for category 5 crits...I don't feel quite as slow as I thought - especially compared to the cat. 5 averages

Last edited by Sco++; 06-30-05 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-30-05, 01:34 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sco++
One hour and 15 minutes at 14.1 mph average... Had a 15 mph average going until I turned for home...I'll never see the speed averages others are attaining. I'm in the hole on my average speed in the first 15 minutes of the ride, due to warm-up speed...

I can maintain 18-20 mph for a couple of miles after i warm up, but then I'm down to 13 or 14 until I recover a little bit. I have not yet learned the fine art of riding a consistent speed. I'm guessing these guys riding 18 - 19 mph averages are popping some 25 mph+ stretches?? Pretty impressive for old guys...

Looked up some historical speed averages for TDF and other big races, then checked out some race speed averages for category 5 crits...I don't feel quite as slow as I thought - especially compared to the cat. 5 averages
Don't run yourself down- thats pretty good for most of us, and ride averages depend on number of hills, type of surface, headwind, and the last of all, how you feel.

My ride last night out on a training run on the Tandem, Got to 29.9mph on one of our uphill sprints, fastest yet but not yet broken 30, on the road kept constant 19.5 for 3 miles, kept 15mph into a strong headwind for 2 miles, had a coffee and bun at the cafe we always stop at, but put on a layer as it suddenly got cold, up the long drag along the seafront and kept good speed up the hill, 10 miles crosscountry, and home again on the road, Average for 26 miles of 12.8 mph. Not bad but annoyed about the number of Students on the seafront that do not realise that Cycle tracks are not for meandering across at a leisurely pace. Just hope that the long evenings we currently have will stay dry for a couple of months at least, so we can get in a good ride
Old 06-30-05, 06:25 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stapfam,

Good numbers there! Headwinds are the worst... Had a 13.5 average tonight for one hour and twenty two minutes. I was trying to find out what the difference was between an average that I suffer a little on, and one that I just kind of cruise along on without much perceived effort. Based on last night and tonight, using top speeds, average speeds, lollygagging speeds, I'm thinking I have about a 5 to 8 mph difference.

I have a lot of fun in my one - man peloton. I win every time...
Old 07-01-05, 06:12 PM
Jim Angel
(50) + member

Bikes: Montigue folding, Schwinn 564 road, and a 20 05 Felt F65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 35 miles between Grand Haven and Holland Michigan this morning. Nice ride but the wind was blowing hard with the passing of the front that hit us last night.
JA
Old 07-01-05, 06:52 PM
Lonestar1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a jump start on the holiday with the day off today. YAHOO a 4-day weekend. Because the Tour starts tomorrow,I can watch the opening TT live on OLN, I chose to do my normal Sat. ride today. Fairly nice & cool @ 6:17 am when I took off today.
Finished with 54.3 miles. Had a nice encounter with another customer @ a local convenience store that is a regular stop on my long ride. Guy had a picture worthy facial expression when I responed to "how far do you guys ride those bikes?" Also when I told him I was 51 yrs old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.