Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bicycle License

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bicycle License

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-05, 08:10 PM
skanking biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
read Hibble v. NEvada
Old 06-30-05, 08:14 PM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the drivers who need the education. They're killing pedestrians, bicyclists and each other and driving with a wreckless disregard to life and property. Not only that, they mix up driving and their vehicles with certain male anatomy properties so they can't think logically while driving. Further, they're on the phone and having parties while behind the wheel, basically doing everything but the boring task of operating the vehicle.

We don't need more red tape. Just put more instruction into driver's training and more questions on the DMV test on bicycle operation and you'll get everybody, since almost everybody who rides a bike also has a driver's license. If you want more particular education, give out a booklet with every bike sold.

Oh, and about the motorcycle license: when I took the test most of the questions were about stuff like how many decibles of noise can the bike make, or what modifications to the exhaust are not allowed. What the heck did I care about that? Plus it was two-sided--twice as many questions. Meanwhile, the driver's test was on one side and all the questions were about drunk driving.
Old 06-30-05, 09:09 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cruentus
Every person in the USA, who is in a public place, is required to show ID when demanded by law enforcement. It doesn't matter if that person is walking, or riding a bicycle. The Supreme Court has already ruled that this requirement is not a violation of the Constitution. Since licensing scheme's are as much about establishing identity, as they are a demonstration of vehicle operation skills, I think that licensing of bike riders is a moot point.
Actually, I believe that the Supreme Court ruling is that a person must identify themselves to a police officer if the police officer is investigating a crime, or possible crime. I do not believe that a person is required to show an ID card, only identify themselves to the officer. To my knowlege, there is no requirement for a person on foot or bicycle to carry any 'official' ID card. The police, of course, are permitted to detain you until they establish that you have given them your true identity.

The police do not have the right to do something like ask random people for their identiy, set up a checkpoint and stop all pedestrians to collect their identity, and so on. It's similar to a traffic stop. The police cannot stop and detain you randomly. They must have some probable cause (failure to signal a lane change is sufficient) that you may have commited a crime.
Old 06-30-05, 09:23 PM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with more bicycle questions on drivers tests. That will help with the motorist side of the equation.

For cyclist education, I agree with Genec about better education programs in schools. One of my personal goals is to eventually become a bike safety instructor. I haven't made much progress on it yet, but I'm keeping it in mind. If you agree that this is necessary, I challenge you to set the same goal. "Be the change you want to see in the world."
Old 06-30-05, 11:16 PM
77Univega
Drive the Bicycle.

Bikes: Three-speed modified for comfort.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Licensing of cyclists has been proven to be impractical. The cost is greater in collecting the fee and issuing the paperwork than it is worth.
--- Have any foreign countries undertaken the registration of bicycles or the licensing of bike drivers? What has been their experience overseas?

/
"The bicycle is the perfect transducer to match man's metabolic energy to the impedance of locomotion. Equipped with this tool, man outstrips the efficiency of not only all machines but all other animals as well." Ivan Illich ('Energy and Equity')1974
Old 07-01-05, 12:34 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Try Switzerland. An immigrant from that country was very enthusiastic about it. She showed me the registration plate on the chainstay of her bike. She was actively promoting it to advocates. I didn't go into details as to the Swiss motivation for it.
Old 07-01-05, 01:06 AM
lilHinault

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That "license" on your bike in California is a registration, not a license. And I really need to do two of those tomorrow.
Old 07-01-05, 03:55 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Every person in the USA, who is in a public place, is required to show ID when demanded by law enforcement. It doesn't matter if that person is walking, or riding a bicycle. The Supreme Court has already ruled that this requirement is not a violation of the Constitution. Since licensing scheme's are as much about establishing identity, as they are a demonstration of vehicle operation skills, I think that licensing of bike riders is a moot point.

On the other hand, I believe that the states will eventually get around to requiring bicycle registration -- bicycles being operating in public places will be required to display a tamper-proof registration tag.

It is only a matter of time before a terrorist discovers that he can pack an amazing amount of HE in the down tube of a mountain bike. Such an explosive laden bike, left chained to a sign post on busy urban street, will kill dozens of people. The exploding bicycle was a favorite trick of the Bader-Meinhof German Red Army Faction terrorist group back in the 1970's. In one case they managed to blow up an armored limousine, killing the occupants, with an exploding bicycle.
Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. It's not that I'm advocating bike registration, I believe that it is inevitable.

It's a lot easier for a terrorist to leave a wired bike in a crowed place unattended, then it is to find some rube willing to pack his BVD's full of Semtex.

It sounds like the terrorists you speak of have already 'won' if you are this paranoid.
Bike registration will not keep someone who wants to do bad stuff to another person
from doing that. Register bikes, than what...? Register lap top bags ? See through
grocery bags ? Ban book bags for school kids ?
Old 07-01-05, 04:09 AM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We cannot legislate stupidity out of existence. Witness many of the drivers of motor vehicles on the roads today...

However, we CAN legislate another expensive, ponderous, incomprehensible government bureaucracy into existence, which is what such a scheme would become.

Imagine the new cabinet post; Secretary of Bicycle Safety...
Old 07-01-05, 05:02 AM
tippy

Bikes: TREK 1000c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by webist
Not sure whether we are talking only about an operator's license or an actual registration (license plate) for bicycles. The issues, it seems would differ between the two.
I think (therefore I could be wrong) the OP's intent was to at least challenge a person's awareness of bicycle specific laws and questioned the practibility of passing a test as endorsement. So it would be a "cyclist" license. Hanging a tag on a bike doesn't indicate the rider has the knowledge/skill to operate the bike. I didn't have to take a test to install the tags on my motor vehicle so the tags do not indicate my knowledge of law or ability to operate the vehicle. The driver's license in my pocket indicates that at one point in my past, I knew just enough about the law to answer at least the minimum amount of questions correctly to pass the test. And then afterwards, I could parallel park close enough to the curb to satisfy the officer.

So the OP would have leaned toward licensing ("endorsing") the driver and not the bike.

d.tipton
Old 07-01-05, 05:48 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Definitely NO! When I was a kid in W.Va.(many years ago), they tried to make everyone get a bike license. None of the kids I knew got a license. Too much government in my life already, next there would be a helmet law (I always wear one, but am against a law), then a license for skates, skateboards, and on and on. No thanks.
Old 07-01-05, 02:28 PM
bugsyonebike

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only way I would be for it is if the money collected was actually used for bike friendly projects, like bike paths, and educating kids about safe riding. I doubt with budgets the way they are these days that this would happen, though.

Originally Posted by DogBoy
In the traffic violation thread CrimsonEclipse said:

Is this a bad idea? I kind of like having a bicycle endorsement to your drivers license. Just make it a written test about the laws as they pertain to bikes. Make it cost like $7 or so initially or whatever it costs to make the test. For kids <16, allow a special bike license/ state ID card that lets them ride without a licensed parent. Have the test be the same.

I know that there are all sorts of problems with the specifics I gave above, but what do you think about the fundamental idea of having a license to ride your bike?

- Lance Armstrong