Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Stage 4: Tours - Blois TTT

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Stage 4: Tours - Blois TTT

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 10:31 AM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On the whole, that was an amazing TTT. Glad the weather held so the teams could put on a show.

For DZ, my heart sunk. He did not look good at all rolling in to the finish. He got knicked up real good. I hope he can find a way to sign on tomorrow. CSC needs him, and he's a kick-ass man on the bike.

Discovery rocked. All nine finished. On the flip side of Zabriskie, Benjamin Noval put forth a good effort today, and I'm sure that was redeeming for him after his spill last year.
Old 07-05-05, 10:33 AM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As many times as I have seen the replay(s), I still have not see a pedal attached to the right crank when he picks up the bike to remount before he discards the bike. Given that DZ was in a straight line for a while, and in the middle of the lane, my guess is mechanical failure of the crank or pedal.

They are using the elliptical chainrings ...
Old 07-05-05, 10:35 AM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This guy, cop, whoever, standing on the course, taking out the leader of the TDF almost within sight of the finish line is a controversy that is not going to go away.
Old 07-05-05, 10:37 AM
allgoo19
Deported by koffee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ceiliazul
Discovery finished with all nine team members! Did any other teams do that today?
A2R

But they finished way behind(by 3').
Old 07-05-05, 10:39 AM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im pretty sure he was there for the whole race, he is there to keep others from crossing the barries, Everyone behind the lead rider at that point is not looking up the road, only the guy on point. So maybe he cut it to close? or maybe DZ touched a wheel. Im waiting to hear the post race comments..

Sad either way man. 1.79 seconds was the official time, so had DZ not fallen, he would have kept the Jersey.
Old 07-05-05, 10:40 AM
allgoo19
Deported by koffee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allgoo19
Team Discovery's success in TTT could mean Hincapie in second place, not to mention Lance in yellow jersey.

It probably doesn't mean much to him or to the team but it makes me feel good.
Old 07-05-05, 10:43 AM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And don't tell me that coming around a blind curve on a bicycle at 30 mph and finding a person standing in your path where NO ONE is supposed to be is not going to break your concentration - if not your neck...God, am I pi$$ed...D Z could have died. If you don't think so, go try it sometime.
Old 07-05-05, 10:46 AM
outdoorboy
ODB to those that know me

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tasajara (undergoing a total rebuild), Giant NRS, Giant OCR C3

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's looking like some mean road rash! Ouch! I hope he's not out.
Old 07-05-05, 10:47 AM
zero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
over 1.5k at 60k/hour (where DZ crashed), 2seconds is only 1.5k/hour. If the crash could have slowed their avg speed from 60k/hr to 58.5k/hr, then they lost because of the crash. I think that maybe they slowed them to 58.5k/hr for only a few seconds after he crashed and then returned up to speed again.

edit:
58.5k/hr average for the final 1.5k,that is, not the entire course.

Last edited by zero; 07-05-05 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-05-05, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Kenal0
Zabriskie falls and they lose the trial. Ouch!
Double wammy. That hurts. Zabriskie falls and then the team loses the trial. Ouch. This would make the Wide World of Sports agony of defeat.
KL

edited by mod: watch the spoilers, some people want to watch for themselves.
Double edit (though I didn't create the first one!).

Don't create the spoilers thread. Have some courtesty for others by placing them in the thread created.

Thanks,

Koffee

Old 07-05-05, 10:53 AM
steveh2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's no time bonus for finishing first in TTT. In fact, due to the rule change from last year, there is actually a time penalty, more or less. Discovery came in 35 seconds ahead of T-Mobile, but only gained 30 seconds in the standings.

And for an individual rider who does not finish with his group, he gets the actual time he comes in. So even if CSC managed to win the stage after DZ's crash, he still would not have gotten to keep the yellow if he did not catch back up to the group.
Old 07-05-05, 11:06 AM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And ANOTHER thing, ONE cop for crowd control?? They should have been posted every 15 feet, IF the guy was really a cop, and IF crowd control is why the guy was on the course. IF he was there for the entire race, were the teams warned before the race that someone was going to standing on the course that close to the finish? Too many questions to be easily explained away.
Old 07-05-05, 11:13 AM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The point is, IT'S DANGEROUS! FORGET THE POINTS! FORGET THE TIME! FORGET THE YELLOW JERSEY!
Old 07-05-05, 11:16 AM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and Koffee, I don't know the definition of "spoiler". Could you enlighten me , please, so I don't do it, if I haven't already...
Old 07-05-05, 11:16 AM
gpelpel

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sco++
That figures. A french cop takes out the American leader of their beloved race...What the he!! was he doing standing in the course on the outside of that blind curve anyway, cop or no cop? I've never before seen anybody on the course in the last couple of klicks of a stage...that's why the barriers are there!

After that stunt F1 pulled at Indy last week, I'm convinced the french will do anything to embarass the US. Remember, it was a fight between Michelin and the F1 powers that be that sunk the U.S. F1 race...

For Lance's sake, I hope I'm wrong...
Don't be stupid! That has nothing to do with France-US relations:

- The F1 Grand Prix fiasco was due to two things: 1) Michelin has a very strong presence in the US, its tire quality is the best in the world and it enjoys a reputation of quality. After 3 or 4 tire blowups during the qualifying, including a major accident, Michelin couldn't risk a major accident during the race and possibly having a driver lose his life. It's also a trust issue with all the drivers using its tires. The pavement of one small portion of the track seemed to be the culprit and that involved issue #2) As you may not know there's a major internal fight within F1. Almost all the teams (except Ferrari, and may be 1 or 2 others) are threatening to quit the Circuit and to create their own within 2 years. When Michelin, who supplies most of the rebellious teams, asked for an authorization to either modify the track, or to be allowed to get a different type of tires than those used during qualifying, F1 didn't accept to bend rules even if drivers' life was at risk. That was a stupid move. I am an F1 fan and couldn't believe how the Circuit management reacted.

- In today's case it's a very unfortunate accident. CSC is not an American team, it's Danish. And it is run by a man who is extremelly well respected in the bike racing community. I was in France last year in July and went to see a stage. I was in a small village somewhat at midpoint between the start and finish. You have to see it to believe it. There was no fences, fans are along the road just inches from the riders. You can feel the wind from the passing riders. And it was a flat sections so the peloton was quite fast. Some individuals are stupid enough to cross the road at the last minute or to put themselves in the middle of the road to take a picture and then jump to the side at the last second. The Police cannot be everywhere but they do have to be there. Today the guy was doing his duty, try to protect the riders the best he could under huge pressure. He was just there at the wrong time. It was David Z. but could have been Basso, or any other rider. All I know it was painful to see Z. like that. I hope he will go on, he has a great future ahead.

Oh! By the way... I am French and rooting for an American. Go Lance!!!
Old 07-05-05, 11:17 AM
squeegy200

Bikes: Colnago Altain, Klein Pulse II, Stumpjumper FSR, GT Zaskar LE, Pedalforce RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And ANOTHER thing, ONE cop for crowd control?? They should have been posted every 15 feet, IF the guy was really a cop, and IF crowd control is why the guy was on the course. IF he was there for the entire race, were the teams warned before the race that someone was going to standing on the course that close to the finish? Too many questions to be easily explained away.
There have always been cops on the course inside the barriers. Otherwise, the throngs of spectators would be climbing over the barriers or worse moving/removing them.

It was the second stage of the TDF 2-3 years ago during a bunch sprint when several of the sprinters collided with a cop taking a picture for a specatator. That was a devastating crash with several riders out for weeks/months as a result. There were two riders who were so severely injured, they never returned to racing.
Old 07-05-05, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Oh, and Koffee, I don't know the definition of "spoiler". Could you enlighten me , please, so I don't do it, if I haven't already...
Spoiler= tattleteller.

We created the threads for each stage so folks can discuss it there and prevent someone from spilling the results of the stage before others who really want to watch the stage later (but can't due to work or otherwise) can get home and view for themselves.

Soo.... don't create a spoiler thread. We like to see members alive and happy at the end of the Tour, not fighting and upset!

Koffee

Old 07-05-05, 11:29 AM
Allen H

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cop didn't have anything to do with the crash, as I saw the replays. He was close enough to have to move when Zabriskie slid past, but that was AFTER he fell.

Liggett and Sherwen said they though Zabriskie's wheel hit the foot of the barrier, so he cut it too close, cop or no cop. He was in the middle of his team's paceline at the time, and nobody else was apparently bothered by the cop.
Old 07-05-05, 11:37 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Every rider in the Tour knows that the police are going to be in the road. It's the rider's responsibility to watch for them.
Sorry, but that's the way it is.
Unfortunate turn of events.
That's bike racing.

Lance, however, shouldn't wear the yellow jersey tomorrow.
Old 07-05-05, 11:42 AM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmason
As many times as I have seen the replay(s), I still have not see a pedal attached to the right crank when he picks up the bike to remount before he discards the bike. Given that DZ was in a straight line for a while, and in the middle of the lane, my guess is mechanical failure of the crank or pedal.

They are using the elliptical chainrings ...

Here's the bike looks like both crank arms and pedals are there. the whole team wasnt using oval rings, just bobby J i think.
Old 07-05-05, 11:45 AM
fore0121
Riding, always Riding

Bikes: Cervelo r3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
Lance, however, shouldn't wear the yellow jersey tomorrow.

Why not? Is it an honour thing? If he did not, that would be a great sign of respect.

Has that type of thing been done before? I know there are other unwritten rules, like not attacking when someone goes down (a la Lance waiting for Jan three years ago, and vice versa when Lance unclipped in '03). Is it the same thing?
f
Old 07-05-05, 11:51 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
didn't lemond get the yellow some way that made him not put it on the next day?....I could be thinking of someone else though
Old 07-05-05, 11:53 AM
BlueBikeRider
Out Riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lance is way too arrogant to not wear it!
Old 07-05-05, 12:05 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Can: open.
Worms: everywhere.
Old 07-05-05, 12:13 PM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And don't tell me that coming around a blind curve on a bicycle at 30 mph and finding a person standing in your path where NO ONE is supposed to be is not going to break your concentration - if not your neck...God, am I pi$$ed...D Z could have died. If you don't think so, go try it sometime.
Come on, don't spout off about what you know nothing about!

They were in a straight line for at least 30 meters (probably more) by then. The man was a gendarme, and no where near causing the incident. I saw it live, and at least 20 times since then. He jumped because DZ fell and was sliding in a way that may have taken him out if he hadn't.

It is bad enough that it happened. Don't be a typical ambulance chaser.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.