Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

SPD shoes/pedals - First ride!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 10-25-15, 04:20 PM
garzanium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I did some tuning this morning to assure they clipped in and out easy.just installed the Shimano pd-m424 and got the Gyro privateers. First time ever using any clip less system.

Right off the bat they felt great. Clip in and out fairly easy and the power transfer felt good. I really noticed improvement on the way back home. Where the small hills usually are a big challenge, it was much easier climbing. I'm a total newb and getting back in shape, so I'm sure for many,13 miles is nothing(about 4 miles where "off road").

All went well and love the system.

Got home, did minor tuning and a final brake check while riding before going inside...well I forgot to unclip and fell like a tower lol!!!right on my driveway--almost made it.

Notice the gun shots on the sign...this is the off road ride the veers to the left on the map.

Old 10-25-15, 04:30 PM
PaulineMi

Bikes: Giant Suede DX with Bionx Battery Assist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the picture of your feet and bike pre- or post the unclipped collapse? I couldn't help but chuckle (hope you were okay) as I can imagine doing something like that.
Old 10-25-15, 05:09 PM
garzanium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
POST. I couldn't help but laugh, a fraction of a second before falling and realizing I was going down lol..couldn't believe how much of a success the ride was before the fall haha.esp after reading a post of a poor guy who fell outside his LBS as he rode off with new shoes haha

No idea how I scuffed the shoes up already!
Old 10-25-15, 06:41 PM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garzanium
Got home, did minor tuning and a final brake check while riding before going inside...well I forgot to unclip and fell like a tower lol!!!right on my driveway--almost made it.
The first time I fell it was funny, but by the fourth or fifth time... not so much. I changed to platform type pedals with those pins. They grip about as well as clipless during pedaling but without being so tied in when you stop, and I ride much happier.
Old 10-25-15, 07:59 PM
slimyfrog

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i can't say I ever forgot to unclip, but I did have a near-disaster in a different way. I unclipped and because I had done so a bit prematurely, I put my foot back on the pedal. Unfortunately this clipped me back in without me realizing it. Panic struck when I came to a full stop, I started leaning over and my foot refused to come off the pedal. So watch out for that one too.
Old 10-25-15, 09:38 PM
garzanium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup,good call. Noticed I accidentally clipped back in a few times,so will need to do extreme forward footing.
Old 10-27-15, 12:40 PM
BIGDCYCLES
Gravel Junkie

Bikes: GT type CX, FUJI Sandblaster Drop Bar conversion, Kink Williams BMX, Framed Defendant Pro 22" BMX, Custom Klunker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I am building a new commuter/daily rider and putting dual sided shimano spd clipless/platform pedals on to see if I like them. I imagine the clipped in topples will be PRICELESS.
Old 10-27-15, 12:49 PM
JamesRL

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've not toppled yet in clipless, despite breaking in two sets of new pedals. I did topple way back when in toe clips/straps. I learned back then to keep one strap loose.

I do you think even if you loosen the clipless tension, there is a little bit of breaking in and that is when you are more likely to get trapped. So don't worry too much.
Old 10-27-15, 12:58 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Been using clipless for a few years now(7?8?); haven't crashed yet due to them.
Have slipped on some ice and wet metal plates; but not having clipless wouldn't have prevented my fall(s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh5V...IoDLA&index=10

Last edited by 1nterceptor; 10-27-15 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added video
Old 10-27-15, 01:25 PM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGDCYCLES
I am building a new commuter/daily rider and putting dual sided shimano spd clipless/platform pedals on to see if I like them. I imagine the clipped in topples will be PRICELESS.
Thats what I did, and for $50 its worth a try. It was bit of effort making sure the side you want is up and you don't clip in by accident. Not something for a busy intersection and average coordination as the platform side does not always end up by default. I suppose those with better than the average coordination should not have a problem. After breaking my left thumb and bending the derailleur hanger in my only right side topple, I used the platform side exclusively. I'll have to find a new home for the Shimano pedals, but they do have 500 miles on them.
Old 10-27-15, 02:22 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Guyyys, don't say that! I have clipless pedals coming and when I fall over I tend to bruise/sprain/break things. Srsly; last time was at about .5 mph, and I skinned my knee and sprained my forearm. I'm a menace; to myself more than others at least.
Old 10-27-15, 04:12 PM
Sonmi451

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to hijack this thread. I finally took a fall a few weeks ago. My beach route was sandy around a tight turn and I didn't realize it. I was going too fast, and wiped out. Nothing major, just a few scrapes and burns. Could have been worse I guess. Bike is fine, only messed up my bar ends a little.
So when you fall, how do you gain confidence back to go fast? I am now a bit slower around turns since this. I do wear gloves now because of this, I'm more worried about my knees getting scraped up.
Old 10-28-15, 10:16 AM
garzanium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Guyyys, don't say that! I have clipless pedals coming and when I fall over I tend to bruise/sprain/break things. Srsly; last time was at about .5 mph, and I skinned my knee and sprained my forearm. I'm a menace; to myself more than others at least.
I do not see falling as an issue if you are paying attention and simply unclip before getting to a light or stop- I was not paying attention and will definitely think before stopping!
The nice thing is the spd is adjustable- I loosened mine by like 8 rotations on each screw, so its fairly easy to unclip, but not accidently while riding.
Old 10-28-15, 12:41 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by Sonmi451
So when you fall, how do you gain confidence back to go fast? I am now a bit slower around turns since this. I do wear gloves now because of this, I'm more worried about my knees getting scraped up.
Going slower around turns sounds like a good idea, as does gloves. Where's the problem?
Old 10-28-15, 12:43 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by garzanium
I do not see falling as an issue if you are paying attention and simply unclip before getting to a light or stop-
Ay, there's the rub. I will follow the YouTube guy's advice and practice; clip in, clip out, clip in, clip out, 10 times, then switch sides and do it again. Muscle memory is everything.
Old 10-28-15, 04:07 PM
Sonmi451

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Korina
Going slower around turns sounds like a good idea, as does gloves. Where's the problem?
Read my post again and you will eventually figure it out.