Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

New Here, But Not new...

Old 09-21-16, 07:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
@carleton, you mean that front wheel alone (which costs almost as much as my Venge) didn't give you 150 watts more power and 12 mph top end? Shocked!

Seriously, that's a BEAUTIFUL bike! You're obviously a top drawer racer and can take advantage of the small gains that each of your upgrades on that machine give you. I understand that, at the elite level, .01 second can win or loose a race. That tells me a lot about where you race. And it makes perfect sense, at the top levels, to give yourself every edge that you can. I'd gain nothing in riding equipment like yours, except for maybe a photograph or two. Results, though? I doubt it.

You give me waaaay too much credit
Old 09-21-16, 07:56 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Old 09-21-16, 09:17 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I was able to pick up a pair of 3T Scatto 35mm bars for $258.00 from Velodrome Shop in the UK. Free shipping. So, I did!
Old 09-24-16, 06:20 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I had a introduction to sprinting heads up from a standing start this past Wednesday. I rode with my national recording holding friend and training partner, and we did some head to head sprints, and then she did the holding honors while I worked on standing starts. I was astride one of my road bikes, using 50/14 gearing (too much for me right now). As I said earlier, and as you all know - this is not like sprinting from a field, at all! BG, my friend, has been training for over a year, and she is on form and very strong. She's an elite athlete. I'm lucky to have a training partner like her!

I have a lonnnnnng way to go, I KNOW that, and I now have an inkling of how far. I'm not so egotistical as to believe that a roadie can jump on track bike, go to the velodrome and have instant success, no matter how good a sprinter she (thinks she) is. This is going to take work, concentration, and dedication. And then I still may not be good enough.

But at least I'm into something now that I have a better chance at than other things I've done.

Count me in!

Last edited by sarals; 09-24-16 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-25-16, 02:45 AM
carleton
Elitist

Count me in!
Nice!

You mention this:

But at least I'm into something now that I have a better chance at than other things I've done.
This makes me think about a handful of roadies who suffer on the road. They are too big and naturally muscular no matter what they do or how they eat. They are the folks who really live riding and racing, but suffer at the back of the pack in races because they are simply not choosing a sport that suits them.

Road and crit racing are squarely endurance sports. Track really does offer a MUCH wider range of events. From a Standing Lap of approximately 20 seconds to The Hour, with lots of events in-between.

Think about it. Look at Phillip Hinds. He came out of nowhere and for the London Olympics all he did was train to be Man 1 for team sprint, and did a great job and won a Gold Medal. Look at all of the fanfare the The Hour has enjoyed over the past 2 years. This is for both Men and Women alike.

Even at the local/regional level, people like to focus on their favorite events. I was really into team sprint the last couple of years before I stopped racing. I raced other events for fun or as tests for myself. I think a lot of other serious trackies do the same.

So, yes, there is probably an event or group of events that are certainly in your "wheel house" where you will shine. The key is finding them
Old 09-25-16, 08:54 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Carleton, I have a lot of exploring to do!

Here's a little of my history.

I was never, never an athlete until my mid fifties when I took up riding the bike to loose weight and gain a little fitness. It took hold after a few months, and then after a few years, my competitive spirit made itself known and I forayed into racing my bike. I started racing at age 60. There was the problem! As a woman cat 4 racer, well, you know who I had to race with. Twenty and thirty somethings. I had no idea my level of fitness, my strengths (I did know I could "go fast", but only for short distances). I did know I couldn't climb as well as most rec riders, but I was sure I could improve that.

Here we are, after my fourth full season of racing. My coach, Racer Ex, several of my teammates, and my closest friend and training partner have finally gotten through to me with their incessant "you need to race on the track!" chant! As far as success on the road, I've done okay. I'm not a great time trialer, but I've improved drastically in that discipline. I'm still not a climber, because I'm all fast twitch. I don't have time to build a lot of base, so I'm not great at road races. However, in flat crits, I hold my own with the young women and last year I won the District Championship in my age group. This year I was second.

I don't know how that will translate to track. I'll probably be competitive (once I figure out how to be and the get my fitness right) in the shorter sprint events, I'll probably be okay in team events, and might even have a shot in 1 and 2K events.

We'll see.

It's going to take a lot of work, but I'm nothing if not goal oriented.

And I love racing my bike, no matter the odds.
Old 09-25-16, 09:00 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

And, as of now, I'll save mass starts for crits!

Old 09-25-16, 11:17 AM
carleton
Elitist

It seems like track racing might suit you!

It's a fun journey. Good luck!
Old 09-25-16, 12:32 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by carleton
It seems like track racing might suit you!

It's a fun journey. Good luck!
As in anything, we'll see!

Thank you, Carleton!
Old 09-27-16, 11:53 AM
carleton
Elitist

No problem!

By the way, I know you ordered your Scattos. I wanted to show you this. This is Victoria Pendleton. One of the best ever sprinters. She used Nitto B125AA (aluminum) bars for years before British Cycling made custom carbon bars for her.

These are like $100. You don't need super fancy carbon to be fast.

Old 09-27-16, 01:58 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I like to cover my bases! I ordered these along with the Scattos. They have some pedigree!
Old 09-27-16, 02:29 PM
carleton
Elitist

I like to cover my bases! I ordered these along with the Scattos. They have some pedigree!
Those would be perfect.

You'll need a 25.4mm to 31.8mm shim to attach it to a modern stem (assuming that you don't have a 25.4mm stem). That shim is around $5-10 and should be found at a local fixy shop. Don't worry about the shims holding tight. I've used them on my bikes. They can be a pain to install (lots of nudging to get it right). But once they are on, they are on.

It's hard to see here, but here I used Nitto B125 and a shim with this setup:

Old 09-27-16, 02:36 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I have a 31.8 stem, and I totally overlooked the need for the shims! However, my LBS has them, so I'm safe! I suspect those bars may take some time to get to me, they're coming from Japan. Like I said, pedigree!
Old 09-27-16, 02:40 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Carleton, by the way, I've always used Fi'zik tape on my bars. I plan to use the 2 mil (thin) tape on the Nittos and Scattos. My biggest concern is the appropriate color? I haven't decided if I'll use any tape on the aerobars, I may just leave them bare.
Old 09-27-16, 02:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

I have a 31.8 stem, and I totally overlooked the need for the shims! However, my LBS has them, so I'm safe! I suspect those bars may take some time to get to me, they're coming from Japan. Like I said, pedigree!
You should really talk to us before you order stuff

You ordered bars from London and Japan that you probably could have gotten locally
Old 09-27-16, 02:51 PM
carleton
Elitist

Carleton, by the way, I've always used Fi'zik tape on my bars. I plan to use the 2 mil (thin) tape on the Nittos and Scattos. My biggest concern is the appropriate color? I haven't decided if I'll use any tape on the aerobars, I may just leave them bare.
The thin velvety fizik stuff is nice. You'll settle in on a preference. Remember, they have to play nice with your sorta sticky gloves. It's all about grip, not comfort.
Old 09-27-16, 03:03 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I haven't decided if I'll use any tape on the aerobars, I may just leave them bare.
I use skateboard grip tape on my aerobars extensions and base bar. Initially went with no tape, but gloveless and sweaty hands on a slick surface isn't a good combination...
Old 09-27-16, 03:08 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Dalai
I use skateboard grip tape on my aerobars extensions and base bar. Initially went with no tape, but gloveless and sweaty hands on a slick surface isn't a good combination...
Good point!
Old 09-27-16, 03:09 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

You should really talk to us before you order stuff

You ordered bars from London and Japan that you probably could have gotten locally
I probably should have. I was shopping price. Time to be delivered wasn't a concern, I'm not up against any sort of time crunch. But, I'm sure you fellas know the market better than I do!
Old 09-28-16, 09:58 AM
Hrothgar42

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
I'm using strong v grips on my track bike, and tennis racket overgrip tape on my TT bike, which is sublime. It's very thin, very tacky, and stretchy enough to get a good wrap.
Old 09-28-16, 10:29 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Hrothgar42
I'm using strong v grips on my track bike, and tennis racket overgrip tape on my TT bike, which is sublime. It's very thin, very tacky, and stretchy enough to get a good wrap.
Ha! I have never considered tennis racquet grip tape. It's inexpensive and easy to find!
Old 09-28-16, 11:24 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Ha! I have never considered tennis racquet grip tape. It's inexpensive and easy to find!
That's a great tip!

I might even try that on my TT bike.

Old 09-28-16, 11:51 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I use hockey tape on my TT bars. Very thin, very grippy.
Old 09-29-16, 12:19 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

The Scatto bars have arrived. Initial impression, just holding them, is that they feel really good! Mine are 35mm, and the width feels great. Next Thursday I'm going to Hellyer for a session, and I'll try them out.

On another note, I hurt my lower back yesterday, apparently when I was practicing standing starts on my road bike. The actual pain and stiffness came later in the day when I had to twist around at work (something I commonly do). This is an OLD injury that is nice enough to pay me a visit every couple of years whether I want it to or not (not). Coach says building core will help stop this, and we're going to be doing that. Also, my standing starts on my road bike are not right as far as form goes, the bike isn't set up for them, and my form is awful, but right now it's all I have until I get going at the velodrome with my track bike. I have a nagging worry that this old injury might prevent me from racing on the track? I'm sure it's just me being a worry wart, because I'm way off form and strength and it's very early in my training.
Old 09-29-16, 12:36 PM
carleton
Elitist

The Scatto bars have arrived. Initial impression, just holding them, is that they feel really good! Mine are 35mm, and the width feels great. Next Thursday I'm going to Hellyer for a session, and I'll try them out.

On another note, I hurt my lower back yesterday, apparently when I was practicing standing starts on my road bike. The actual pain and stiffness came later in the day when I had to twist around at work (something I commonly do). This is an OLD injury that is nice enough to pay me a visit every couple of years whether I want it to or not (not). Coach says building core will help stop this, and we're going to be doing that. Also, my standing starts on my road bike are not right as far as form goes, the bike isn't set up for them, and my form is awful, but right now it's all I have until I get going at the velodrome with my track bike. I have a nagging worry that this old injury might prevent me from racing on the track? I'm sure it's just me being a worry wart, because I'm way off form and strength and it's very early in my training.
- Newbies often strain muscles when they first do standing starts. I've witnessed several at clinics. It's like doing a full-on dead lift with significant weight having not worked up to it over weeks.
- Coach is right. Core will help. Gym work will help.
- Road bikes have awful geometry for standing starts. So, when you get your track bike setup with the bars and fit and all, it will feel A LOT more natural.
- Your injury likely won't hinder you (but I don't know what it is, not asking either). You are a sprinter now. It comes with the territory I've known sprinters to race for years with multiple herniated discs. I had one for the last 4 years that I actively raced.
- Be careful and let it heal properly. Rest, NSAIDs, strength training will help. Talk to a medical professional (I am not one).
- If you've never done squats (or leg press) regularly, you'd be amazed at how your life will change. Posture, general strength, butt and leg definition, etc... all improve.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.