Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava and military bases in the news

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strava and military bases in the news

Old 01-29-18, 09:39 AM
oldschool56

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
That is good news. Everything a government does should be public if they are claiming they are a democracy. One does not need secrets in a government of the people, by the people and for the people, it leads to bad things.

Also big kudos to all those overseas in those bases cycling : ) Maybe if we all biked together there might be a little less strife in the world. Instead of wars just create teams and have them all face off on a bike race and have fun.
One fault in your theory. Our enemies are not a government of our people, by our people, and most definitely not for our people.
Old 01-29-18, 09:43 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Well, I would be surprised if the bad guys don't have sympathizers on every foreign combat base we have. We hire lots of locals I'm guessing and they keep their eyes open. They can provide plenty of detail.

One of our barber's was found dead outside the wire following TET in '68, probably cut my hair a time or two.
Old 01-29-18, 10:03 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 413 Posts
I'm retired military, worked in a high-security technical position my entire career. I concur that the military does in fact need to have secretive networks, and have secure non-public resources. In those areas, and among those resources, cell phones are not even allowed there. Even if they're turned off. That's (part of) how the sensitivity is protected. But this STRAVA news seems to be late to the game. How long have we had maps available on our cell phones? Those map/traffic apps that show how traffic is flowing on the roads uses a method similar to the STRAVA heat maps...it's tracking cell phone signals. The cell network measures where, and how fast the cell phones in cars are moving along the roads. Your phone is contributing to that and you don't even realize it. And, it's been done for years in department stores too...to tell which isle you're on, etc. As long as the phone is turned on and emitting a signal, it can be tracked (unless it's in airplane mode I guess). It doesn't need to have STRAVA, Google Maps, or any other app running. So until the DoD completely bans cell phones from use on military installations...which we know isn't going to happen...someone will be able to track them and creat a map using their movement.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-29-18 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 10:06 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,488 Times in 2,843 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Yeah I just looked at the Strava heat map in Afghanistan. There's lots of places showing tracking and I doubt it's the Taliban or Iraq's Quds forces haha
I've heard Team Taliban is training hard to make it into the TdF this year.
Old 01-29-18, 10:12 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldschool56
One fault in your theory. Our enemies are not a government of our people, by our people, and most definitely not for our people.
You mean - the French ?
Old 01-29-18, 11:09 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I'm retired military, worked in a high-security technical position my entire career. I concur that the military does in fact need to have secretive networks, and have secure non-public resources. In those areas, and among those resources, cell phones are not even allowed there. Even if they're turned off. That's (part of) how the sensitivity is protected. But this STRAVA news seems to be late to the game. How long have we had maps available on our cell phones? Those map/traffic apps that show how traffic is flowing on the roads uses a method similar to the STRAVA heat maps...it's tracking cell phone signals. The cell network measures where, and how fast the cell phones in cars are moving along the roads. Your phone is contributing to that and you don't even realize it. And, it's been done for years in department stores too...to tell which isle you're on, etc. As long as the phone is turned on and emitting a signal, it can be tracked (unless it's in airplane mode I guess). It doesn't need to have STRAVA, Google Maps, or any other app running. So until the DoD completely bans cell phones from use on military installations...which we know isn't going to happen...someone will be able to track them and creat a map using their movement.

Dan
The problem is Strava provides more info than just heatmaps if the user doesn't have it set up securely. I guarantee the DOD will be putting out guidelines to address this soon.
Old 01-29-18, 11:35 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by tyrion
The problem is Strava provides more info than just heatmaps if the user doesn't have it set up securely. I guarantee the DOD will be putting out guidelines to address this soon.
For example? I mean yeah...the user's calorie expenditure, from/to and distance traveled. What does Strava do, that say Google Maps, or other cell phone apps do or don't do, that might provide military intelligence?

This kind of reminds me of the "Pizza Intel" that was talked about in 1990 during the Gulf War.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-29-18 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 11:45 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I've heard Team Taliban is training hard to make it into the TdF this year.
You do realize Strava is used for running and walking as well
Old 01-29-18, 11:54 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Dan

Thank you for this.

Like I said, it is non-news put out by a couple of guys trying to make a name for themselves via twitter.

At least two of them claim to be studying or have graduated with degrees in intelligence analysis and so they know all this quite well.

The media is happy to run with it.

-Tim-
Old 01-29-18, 11:59 AM
tyrion

For example? I mean yeah...the user's calorie expenditure, from/to and distance traveled. What does Strava do, that say Google Maps, or other cell phone apps do or don't do, that might provide military intelligence?
Names, pictures, workout habits, network connections ("Following"). Plus it's super easy, no tech savvy needed, all one needs is a cellphone to get the info.

edit: people list their hometowns. Plus, if you can identify a concentration of super athletes in a remote area, that would be a red flag ("special ops").

Last edited by tyrion; 01-29-18 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 12:04 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Names, pictures, workout habits, network connections ("Following"). Plus it's super easy, no tech savvy needed, all one needs is a cellphone to get the info.

...or just log onto Facebook for that info.

Dan
Old 01-29-18, 12:05 PM
tyrion

...or just log onto Facebook for that info.

Dan
That there are many potential security weaknesses isn't a reason to ignore this one.
Old 01-29-18, 12:10 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One thing you can tell from the strava heat map: There is not a single straight road in all of England. Looks more like a bowl full of macaroni than a road system when you zoom in there.
Old 01-29-18, 12:13 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

That there are many potential security weaknesses isn't a reason to ignore this one.
Of course not. (One of) The point I'm trying to make is that this threat (or similar threats such as the use of Google Maps...which has been around longer than Strava)...or just the general use of cell phones on military installations...has probably been evaluated by the DoD. The writers of this article might have simply come to the realization more recently and are announcing it as a threat...which the DoD may, or may not have already evaluated and dismissed as a non-threat. Or, a threat they can control (if needed).

Dan
Old 01-29-18, 12:15 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Thank you for this.

Like I said, it is non-news put out by a couple of guys trying to make a name for themselves via twitter.

At least two of them claim to be studying or have graduated with degrees in intelligence analysis and so they know all this quite well.

The media is happy to run with it.

-Tim-

Well...usually the Pentagon doesn't do reviews or issue orders based on "non-news"

Originally Posted by WaPo
BEIRUT — The U.S. military said Monday that it is adjusting guidelines for the use of all wireless and technological devices on military facilities amid revelations that fitness trackers can be used to expose the identities of individuals working in sensitive and hazardous locations.
The review came after reports in The Washington Post and elsewhere that a global heat map posted online by the fitness-tracking company Strava reveals the outlines of U.S. military bases in some of the most dangerous locations in the world — along with the routes taken by supply convoys and patrols.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...67e_story.html
Old 01-29-18, 12:29 PM
tyrion

Of course not. (One of) The point I'm trying to make is that this threat (or similar threats such as the use of Google Maps...which has been around longer than Strava)...or just the general use of cell phones on military installations...has probably been evaluated by the DoD. The writers of this article might have simply come to the realization more recently and are announcing it as a threat...which the DoD may, or may not have already evaluated and dismissed as a non-threat. Or, a threat they can control (if needed).

Dan
Seems to me the DOD was blindsided by this Strava news.

Last edited by tyrion; 01-29-18 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 01:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
Originally Posted by oldschool56
The whole idea is we shouldn't need to have enemies, it is something that the governments of the world choose for their citizens. There is no need for hate just kick ass bicycles! If you have a squabble settle it on the track or a MTB trail or a road ride of some sort.
Old 01-29-18, 01:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts

Last edited by canklecat; 01-29-18 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 02:12 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I wonder if DoD will go to Strava with a request to retroactively privatize some data. I remember when this happened with Google Maps and satellite views of certain sensitive areas like the White House.
Old 01-29-18, 02:18 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

They're listening!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1299.JPG (507.4 KB, 92 views)
Old 01-29-18, 02:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The problem isn't military personnel exercising. All militaries do that, or should.

The problem is making it too easy to identify patterns in individuals and groups. For decades military and civilian personnel assigned overseas have been advised to avoid predictable routines in order to make it a little more difficult for kidnappers and terrorists.

Without these handy surveillance devices we voluntarily carry around, prospective enemies had to risk exposing themselves in order to track the movements of their targets. No need to make it easier for them.

This may be one advantage to Cyclemeter, which stores data only on the users mobile device by default. The user must choose to share activities to Strava, social media, or even to private cloud storage, etc.
Old 01-29-18, 02:54 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I don't use Strava but I think it's more about revealing where high traffic areas are. For instance, if I was a terrorist and wanted to blow troops up at Ft. Bragg I know the absolute perfect places where I could destroy a whole platoon while they're doing a morning run on the firebreaks in the woods. Someone who hasn't been in the military there would have no clue. The same would apply to any military base in the world, secret or not, because troops do PT wherever they are. Some places you wouldn't even be able to spot on google like tiny FOB's in the middle of nowhere in Afghanistan. Even if they aren't running PT out of there they go on patrols and the young troops nowadays are using Strava wherever they go. Basically, Strava is letting people track the movement of troops.

I bet one million dollars by the end of the week the department of defense will have already put orders out banning soldiers from using Strava after this news. Nobody should worry, it won't take away their freedoms lol
What's so special about the target value of troops doing PT? If body count is desired by an evil doer with the means/weapon to deliver explosives on post, the on post movie theater, PX, school buildings, gym, health clinic/hospital, officers/EM club, etc. are well marked static targets filled full of vulnerable people during known hours.
Old 01-29-18, 03:03 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What's so special about the target value of troops doing PT? If body count is desired by an evil doer with the means/weapon to deliver explosives on post, the on post movie theater, PX, school buildings, gym, health clinic/hospital, officers/EM club, etc. are well marked static targets filled full of vulnerable people during known hours.
35 troops in a formation are a better target than 35 people milling around the PX. Unless the people in the PX are all one arms length from each other. And in any case, I was just giving an example. It's not something really worthy of an internet debate.
Old 01-29-18, 03:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Uhh... Oh...

My driveway has turned HOT on that heat map, and it's not supposed to be hot

I have to wonder why the military even allows Strava on their sites. No policy about private phones and applications?

Of course, they would also run the risk of creating dead spots where activity is shown all around, but not within their bases, not that the actual location of the bases shouldn't already be known
Old 01-29-18, 03:45 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I have to wonder why the military even allows Strava on their sites. No policy about private phones and applications?
Strava doesn't need phones. A lightweight wrist device could record the info and upload it via desktop computer. While this might be an unusual use case, it could happen when security is only focused on phones and it needs to be addressed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.