Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tying My Shoe to My Flat Foot Pedal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tying My Shoe to My Flat Foot Pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-17, 07:07 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Did you know that the actor is from my home town (Philly) and is a smoker?
The Italian, I presume? Wouldn't really surprise me if so.
Old 07-13-17, 08:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
The Italian, I presume? Wouldn't really surprise me if so.
The lead character. He only pretended to be Italian in the film. He's also gay according to another BF member, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 07-13-17, 08:17 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
The lead character. He only pretended to be Italian in the film. He's also gay according to another BF member, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Oh sorry, thought you meant one of the guys on the Italian racing team was someone from Philly just playing an Italian.
Old 07-13-17, 09:07 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Cut it out you two, or I'll be forced to watch that movie again over the weekend... and it hasn't been 12 months since my last viewing yet.
Old 07-12-18, 03:03 PM
jungzest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you are better off borrowing from a friend
Old 07-13-18, 04:34 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Did you know that the actor is from my home town (Philly) and is a smoker?
He was also in “Chariots of Fire”
Old 07-13-18, 05:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I just got a pair of Raceface Chester platform pedals with the spikes. Cheap and very good. My foot doesn't move off of it unless I want it to. Plus, choice of colors!
Old 07-13-18, 07:01 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
Just learn to fall gracefully.
Jon
As your trying to get up with your foot tied to the pedal, wave to everyone, say "i'm alright" and "I meant to do that", then fall on your butt because your foot is still tied to the pedal.
Old 07-13-18, 07:20 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 07-13-18, 07:34 PM
Brooke1687

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a set of those half toe clips a few weeks ago. I really like them, they’ll probably accomplish what you’re looking for for less than $10. Give them a short test drive and if you like them put some lock tight on the screws or they will come loose pretty fast.
Old 07-13-18, 08:24 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
If you don't want to buy clipless pedals and the shoes to go with them, just get the PowerGrips. You won't have the super-stiff soles of a dedicated bike shoe, but you'll have 90% of the foot retention and you'll be able to exit when needed.

Being connected to the pedals via clips/clipless may or may not make you more efficient, but it will prevent your feet from slipping off the pedals at higher cadences.
Old 07-13-18, 10:00 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Ok, just to pile on here... tying your shoe(s) to the pedal is a really bad idea. It’s a great idea if you’re looking for a creative way to meet a cute ER nurse, but then she won’t be impressed by your judgement so there’s that.

I can’t help but wonder, just how would you do such a thing? Like, literally, how would it be possible? I guess you could throw a leg over and reach down... but with both hands? You’d have to pass one hand under the top tube, maybe? I dunno, I can’t picture it myself.

If you decide to try it against BF advice, do us all a favor and get it on video. Something like that could go viral. You could call it the “shoelace challenge.”

-Kedosto
Old 07-13-18, 10:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Did we jump a year?

How did the OP make out?

Truthfully, I usually unclip first with the left foot 99% of the time, and if it is just at a traffic light, I'll just leave the right clipped in.

But there is always that 1% or 0.1% when %&&@##%$#@!!! hits the fan, and it is nice to get that right foot loose.

I haven't tried the power grips, but once can always get a foot out of a toeclip (without cleats) by pulling back and down, or twisting hard and pulling with the cleats.
Old 07-13-18, 10:32 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Truthfully, I usually unclip first with the left foot 99% of the time, and if it is just at a traffic light, I'll just leave the right clipped in.
It intrigues me that you keep the right foot clipped in. I do that too but we ride on the left hand side of the road (Australia) and the left foot is the one by the kerb - where practical, I stay seated and put my foot on the kerb. However, that'd be back to front for you so... why keep the right foot clipped in?
Old 07-13-18, 10:50 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by europa
It intrigues me that you keep the right foot clipped in. I do that too but we ride on the left hand side of the road (Australia) and the left foot is the one by the kerb - where practical, I stay seated and put my foot on the kerb. However, that'd be back to front for you so... why keep the right foot clipped in?

I don't know. I've always done it that way. Started using toeclips as a pre-teen???? Well, a really long time ago.

It may be that I always used my right foot as the "start foot". But, there may also be a practical application just the opposite of what you have.

Most of my riding is without curbs. So, if I stopped while riding on the edge of the road, to my right would frequently be a ditch which is less convenient for getting onto and off of the bike.

Even without a ditch, a road crown would make the distance to the ground less on the left than on the right.

Another thing is that I walk the bike some. I'm fairly strongly right-handed, and almost walk to the left of the bike. I typically hold the SEAT with my right hand while walking the bike. Anyway, it puts me on the left side for mounting the bike.

One might note, it is also common to mount a horse from the left side.

Last edited by CliffordK; 07-13-18 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-14-18, 01:06 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The curve of the road and the ditch makes sense. I tend to use whatever foot is most convenient at the time, I guess you could say I'm ambi-foot-strous.

I've also been known to walk the bike (it comes with age and riding fixed gear up stupidly steep hills, the 24" gear is often appreciated). However, I walk on the right hand side of the bike, maybe because it puts the bike against the edge of the road/path. Mind you, I've always mounted from the right hand side of the bike, even before I started riding on roads. Ahh, the infinite weirdness of the hooman being.
Old 07-14-18, 03:51 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Half-clips are worthless for aiding in the pulling up of the pedal. All they do is help keep the foot located on the pedal by preventing it from moving forward. Spiked pedals will help with pulling up, but are not as good as using toe clips and straps or clipless pedals and shoes. I had my daughter borrow shoes from her aunt and my pedals. She could not master the clip-in clip-out action. One year later she tried again and is now very comfortable with it.
Switched from clipless pedals to spiked platform pedals on my touring bike earlier this year. Although it is not possible to pull up as hard and easily as it is with a clipless system, I find it just right for touring since I slog up most inclines with a load anyway. Much prefer clipless on my daily rider since I am more interested in speed. I use a cruiser for errands and general pleasure riding with my wife and there is absolutely no need to pull up on the pedals so I run platform pedals.

Borrow pedals and shoes from someone and try it. Don't be a Cutter.
Old 07-14-18, 05:20 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
This must be one of the dumbest ideas I've heard.....BF just never fails to entertain.
Old 07-14-18, 07:35 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think this guy made it out alive... A strange thing to consider, tying your foot to a pedal. I don't believe I'm flexible enough to do that myself without falling over. Some of these comments were HILARIOUS!

"Use zip ties"
"Use duct-tape"
"Tie your hands to the handlebars while you're at it"

Funny stuff!
Old 07-14-18, 08:18 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Save yourself trouble and buy clipless pedals and shoes. Why do pre-steps? You are a good enough rider right now. As another posted has said, use SPD cleats and pedals for walking around. I carried my bike walking across a fallen tree crossing a creek in them. Enjoy!
Old 07-14-18, 08:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Power Grips ... they're a wide strap mounted diagonally across the pedal
to give similar release to clipless , swinging your heel out..

Strap Kits ? Power Grips

Old 07-14-18, 09:52 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I'm thinking of doing this with an extra shoelace for my one foot. Before I buy a set of strap pedals or invest in clipless pedal and clip shoes, I want to have a feel of 'this efficiency' that everyone is talking about.
I'm thinking about getting a helmet but am not sure if I'll like it so I'm agonna holler out a wartermelon and try that first:

Old 07-14-18, 10:06 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
One thing about a watermelon; you can always cut it out to get a perfect fit.
Old 07-14-18, 10:38 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by DanBraden
I don't think this guy made it out alive... A strange thing to consider, tying your foot to a pedal. I don't believe I'm flexible enough to do that myself without falling over. Some of these comments were HILARIOUS!
Never tried tightening or loosening the toe strap? Those moments when you get your foot half into the clip and remember,,, dang, I should have loosened the toe strap first?

Did anybody mention superglue? A bunch of tons of pulling power assuming using more than a drop.
Old 07-15-18, 04:01 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I've been tying my shoes to my pedals AND gluing my butt to my saddle for years ... thought everyone did that ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.