Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Wheels for Clydes

Old 08-11-18, 05:56 AM
JOEPIPPAS

Bikes: 1991 C'DALE- 3.1 , 2007 LEMOND - TOURMALET

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheels for Clydes

After a 8 year hiatus I have come full circle in my life and I am back at square one.. The last time I was in any sort of shape was in 2009 and went through an ugly divorce then depression which I went from 205 lbs to 240 lbs. After what seemed like 4 years of self destruction (party, booze, women) I finally met what I deemed my Twin Flame.. She was my everything and kept me balanced. she even got me motivated to work on myself and my weight. I had ballooned up to 287 lbs. well fast forward 2.5 years and we were married and life seemed complete. until her own health started fail and she passed away 13 months after we were married. So now after almost 3 yrs of depression I am back at square one. alone and trying to pull my life back together in a positive way. as of May I got on the Ketogenic weight loss craze and have lost about 35 lbs. I am now down to about 245 lbs and still going I would love to get back on my 07 Lemond Tourmalet. My only reservation is that I know most stock wheels on these bike (especially at that age) are not made for big guys like me.. Any suggestions on a wheels set that wont break me at the bank? Thanks in advance.. , Joepippas

Last edited by JOEPIPPAS; 08-11-18 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-11-18, 07:15 AM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
The first thing to do is set the dollar amount you're willing to spend.
Old 08-11-18, 10:06 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I keep a 36 spoke weinmann wheel set as a spare and they have never let me down. They range in price from $110 to $150.
Old 08-11-18, 12:30 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I would direct you to Rolf Prima wheels. Specifically the Vigor RS.

Yes they are spendy, but they support my 360 pounds easily.
Old 08-11-18, 02:05 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Ask your LBS(s) if they have any deals on new take offs (wheels removed by new owners in favor of higher priced wheels they already owned)...they may have something that will work for you gathering dust--at a good price. I got wheels and tires for my frankenbike that way.
Old 08-11-18, 02:31 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod EVO came with Shimano RS10 wheelset. I got tired of the monthly wheel truing so I bought some new Easton SL90's off of a CL ad. Now, fast forward 3000 miles, and the wheels are still fast, true and never needed an adjustment!
I am a happy guy and glad that I went this route. The Easton weigh the same as the Shimano, but have a higer spoke count and better hubs. They retail for around $900, I was lucky enough to get them for $250, new in the original box.
Old 08-11-18, 03:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cassette wheels have an inherent, asymmetrical tension balance problem..
required to pack those wider 8 and more speed clusters in.. on the drive side..

so as you load the wheels more, keep them up to truing and tension by checking and doing PM often..
to keep it acting as a whole..

it can be more a good service frequency, than just buy it once and it's good, everafter..

Old 08-11-18, 04:44 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have two suggestions.

1) when you reply to someone's post could you attach their quote so we can understand what the response pertains.
2) I don't think that 245 is that heavy and would ride the bike with the wheels that are on it, maybe get the existing wheels re-tensioned before using them.
Old 08-11-18, 05:55 PM
JOEPIPPAS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I have two suggestions.

1) when you reply to someone's post could you attach their quote so we can understand what the response pertains.
2) I don't think that 245 is that heavy and would ride the bike with the wheels that are on it, maybe get the existing wheels re-tensioned before using them.
Ok.. Thanks.. It's been a while since I've done this. Gotta get the hang of it again...lol
You think my current wheels will do ok until I lose the weight and am able to upgrade to nicer wheels? The Lemond is goin to my lbs for a full tune up and inspection and maybe some upgraded parts. It's still looks very nice. And I remember it used to ride like a dream.. I will update soon and keep you all posted on my progress..
Old 08-11-18, 06:04 PM
JOEPIPPAS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JOEPIPPAS
Ok.. Thanks.. It's been a while since I've done this. Gotta get the hang of it again...lol
You think my current wheels will do ok until I lose the weight and am able to upgrade to nicer wheels? The Lemond is goin to my lbs for a full tune up and inspection and maybe some upgraded parts. It's still looks very nice. And I remember it used to ride like a dream.. I will update soon and keep you all posted on my progress..
Old 08-11-18, 10:50 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I was going to suggest just getting your wheels redone but looking at them... maybe not. While you're at the bike shop, ask what they have available. My lbs was able to get me a set of wheels put together by a local wheel builder that were cheap and plenty strong enough but which you wouldn't find in any catalogue. Actually, that's happened to me twice now.

Nice looking bike btw, certainly one to hang on to and to aspire to wearing out.

Last edited by europa; 08-11-18 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 11:31 AM
JOEPIPPAS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
I was going to suggest just getting your wheels redone but looking at them... maybe not. While you're at the bike shop, ask what they have available. My lbs was able to get me a set of wheels put together by a local wheel builder that were cheap and plenty strong enough but which you wouldn't find in any catalogue. Actually, that's happened to me twice now.

Nice looking bike btw, certainly one to hang on to and to aspire to wearing out.
Thanks... I really love the ride on it.. Stiff yet very comfy. I've ridden C-Dales, specialized and Treks.. By far the best bike I've ever owned.. Too bad they don't make them anymore.
I'm thinking of having some Mavic wheels built.
Old 08-12-18, 11:49 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
After a 8 year hiatus I have come full circle in my life and I am back at square one.. The last time I was in any sort of shape was in 2009 and went through an ugly divorce then depression which I went from 205 lbs to 240 lbs. After what seemed like 4 years of self destruction (party, booze, women) I finally met what I deemed my Twin Flame.. She was my everything and kept me balanced. she even got me motivated to work on myself and my weight. I had ballooned up to 287 lbs. well fast forward 2.5 years and we were married and life seemed complete. until her own health started fail and she passed away 13 months after we were married. So now after almost 3 yrs of depression I am back at square one. alone and trying to pull my life back together in a positive way. as of May I got on the Ketogenic weight loss craze and have lost about 35 lbs. I am now down to about 245 lbs and still going I would love to get back on my 07 Lemond Tourmalet. My only reservation is that I know most stock wheels on these bike (especially at that age) are not made for big guys like me.. Any suggestions on a wheels set that wont break me at the bank? Thanks in advance.. , Joepippas
First of all, let me congratulate you on coming through the wringer without climbing a clock tower with a rifle. I'm not so sure I wouldn't have.

Now that you are on the other side, as has been suggested, search CL & eBay, or the local bike shops for a set of take-off's.

Welcome home.
Old 08-12-18, 01:17 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My suggestion would be to ride to your LBS to get a ballpark figure to work with. I just replaced the wheels on my LHT after 10 years with Alex DH 19 (36 spoke). I believe I paid about $250 but don't remember if they did anything else with it (e.g. replace brakes pads. cables, etc.).
Old 08-12-18, 05:02 PM
JOEPIPPAS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JLDickmon
First of all, let me congratulate you on coming through the wringer without climbing a clock tower with a rifle. I'm not so sure I wouldn't have.

Now that you are on the other side, as has been suggested, search CL & eBay, or the local bike shops for a set of take-off's.

Welcome home.
Thank you. I'm excited and looking forward to get back on the bike.. I'll admit I'm kinda looking forward to the pain getting back in shape will bring .
Old 08-12-18, 05:04 PM
JOEPIPPAS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exile
My suggestion would be to ride to your LBS to get a ballpark figure to work with. I just replaced the wheels on my LHT after 10 years with Alex DH 19 (36 spoke). I believe I paid about $250 but don't remember if they did anything else with it (e.g. replace brakes pads. cables, etc.).
Thank you.. Will do..
Old 08-13-18, 05:58 AM
Rock71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At 225 Lbs, I am currently running a pair of Bontrager Aeolus comp 5's. They have upgraded onyx hubs. I have been running them for about a month now and love them. Your local bike shop probably has a wheel builder in house and if you go in and give them a budget he will come up with something good for you. The bike shop I bought this wheelset at, their wheel builder is a Clyde so he knew exactly what I was looking for.
Old 08-13-18, 07:19 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I went for 6 spoke wheels for my clyde ride:

Old 08-13-18, 07:45 AM
Rock71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rgconner
I went for 6 spoke wheels for my clyde ride:

Those are nice! I bet your Clyde dont get tired.
Old 08-13-18, 07:49 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
He makes a serious dent in your Cliff bar stash!
Old 08-13-18, 10:57 PM
JOEPIPPAS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 225 Lbs, I am currently running a pair of Bontrager Aeolus comp 5's. They have upgraded onyx hubs. I have been running them for about a month now and love them. Your local bike shop probably has a wheel builder in house and if you go in and give them a budget he will come up with something good for you. The bike shop I bought this wheelset at, their wheel builder is a Clyde so he knew exactly what I was looking for.
Awesome!! Thank you so much.. Will be looking into it this week..
Old 08-13-18, 10:58 PM
JOEPIPPAS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 08-14-18, 05:09 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
My experience with an older bike echoes Rock71's advice - when I weighed 270 I started breaking spokes on the rear wheel of my old cheap hybrid bike. My local bike shop built me a 32 spoke wheel with triple cross lacing on the spokes and never broke a spoke again. Wasn't that expensive. I'd do that again for an older bike.

Years later, I weighed less and bought a Trek 520 for loaded touring. The LBS said the wheels are strong but machine built, if the spokes loosen up, bring it and we will hand tune it and you will have no problems. Sure enough, that happened, they did, and I went 10 years before I broke a spoke. Touring bike, and tandem, wheels are generally built strong.

Last year (15 years after buying the 520), I made a deal with myself: lose 20 lbs and I would buy a road bike that weighed 10 lbs less than the 520 - I did both, bought a Trek Domane SL6 disc with Vision 40 carbon wheels and a suspiciously low spoke count. I'm about 15 lbs under the Trek stated weight limit for the bike, so I was a bit concerned - but the LBS said the Vision wheels were bomb-proof, and about 4000 miles on them, not a single problem. I probably will now break several spokes on my next ride...
Old 08-14-18, 03:42 PM
JOEPIPPAS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
My experience with an older bike echoes Rock71's advice - when I weighed 270 I started breaking spokes on the rear wheel of my old cheap hybrid bike. My local bike shop built me a 32 spoke wheel with triple cross lacing on the spokes and never broke a spoke again. Wasn't that expensive. I'd do that again for an older bike.

Years later, I weighed less and bought a Trek 520 for loaded touring. The LBS said the wheels are strong but machine built, if the spokes loosen up, bring it and we will hand tune it and you will have no problems. Sure enough, that happened, they did, and I went 10 years before I broke a spoke. Touring bike, and tandem, wheels are generally built strong.

Last year (15 years after buying the 520), I made a deal with myself: lose 20 lbs and I would buy a road bike that weighed 10 lbs less than the 520 - I did both, bought a Trek Domane SL6 disc with Vision 40 carbon wheels and a suspiciously low spoke count. I'm about 15 lbs under the Trek stated weight limit for the bike, so I was a bit concerned - but the LBS said the Vision wheels were bomb-proof, and about 4000 miles on them, not a single problem. I probably will now break several spokes on my next ride...
Wow.. That's so awesome.. I have gotten the number of a local guy who supposedly builds killer wheels.. I will be contacting him this week (Out of town) and see what I can set up with him..
Old 08-14-18, 05:14 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Hey man sorry about your wife. That would wreck me for sure. Glad to hear you working through it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.