Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano blocking shipping

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-19, 04:59 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts

Dear Shimano,

Thank you for blocking shipments to Canada from Bike24 in Germany for all Shimano products. My last order for bike parts and tools did not contain any Shimano products.

For those thinking this is a "let's support your local bike shop" issue, it's not. Some colors/styles or even entire serial numbers are simply not available in North America. So, why Shimano would do this to potential customers is beyond me.
Old 06-08-19, 07:37 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
LBS Snowflakes ruined it for everyone.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-08-19, 07:56 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
LBS Snowflakes ruined it for everyone.
I suspect it was more the distributors like QBP whining.
Old 06-08-19, 09:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I suspect it was more the distributors like QBP whining.
Whining? Oy vey y'all are crazy. People are so butthurt about the bicycle industry here it makes no sense. You realize that Shimano pulled a bunch of stuff from QBP a while back and I see no reason for anyone to whine. Yes some of these distributors and certainly a lot of local shops are unhappy about people undercutting them and yes Shimano is doing something about it but none of it is whining. It is wanting product and MAP protected.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-08-19, 10:42 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Whining? Oy vey y'all are crazy. People are so butthurt about the bicycle industry here it makes no sense. You realize that Shimano pulled a bunch of stuff from QBP a while back and I see no reason for anyone to whine. Yes some of these distributors and certainly a lot of local shops are unhappy about people undercutting them and yes Shimano is doing something about it but none of it is whining. It is wanting product and MAP protected.
So if I’d like to buy a particular Shimano product that’s only available in the German market then it’s “too bad, so sad” for me?

Geez Shimano, after all my years of buying your products this is how you’re gonna treat me? Okay, I’ll be sure to remember this.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 06-09-19, 06:39 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
No problem, I like Sram components. They are just losing sales!!!!!
Likes For rydabent:
Old 06-09-19, 06:51 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Until you realize SRAM won't ship to Canada either from most places...
Old 06-09-19, 07:16 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
SRAM plays the same dumb games and worse--MAP no-sales nonsense wherever they can.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 06-09-19, 07:40 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Isn't all this why we have ebay?
Old 06-09-19, 08:20 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
Isn't all this why we have ebay?
Great point. I don't use eBay, but if I must...

-Kedosto
Old 06-09-19, 08:40 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Sine SRAM is even worse (MAP etc.), it will be hard to boycott both if you want modern drivetrains (and brakes).

The alternatives are not better or cheaper. Like box or sunrace.

KMC and Sunrace are good chain and cassette options that will get my money.
Old 06-09-19, 02:24 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Sine SRAM is even worse (MAP etc.), it will be hard to boycott both if you want modern drivetrains (and brakes).

The alternatives are not better or cheaper. Like box or sunrace.

KMC and Sunrace are good chain and cassette options that will get my money.
BOX looks really good in some narrow spots (single speed freewheels for BMX, drivetrain for downhill, things like that)
Microshift seems to be a reasonable competitor.
Sunrace seems to be coming on - their 12sp mtn stuff looks good, and their road offerings look fine as well - only drawback is non-aero shift cables and maxing out at 10sp. And availability - they haven't gotten any big online distribution, as near as I can tell. The prices you can get their stuff for is all over the map because of that.

Campagnolo groups from Europe are now cheaper than Shimano is available (as in, shimano doesn't seem to be available at all) - I can't even get Shimano through Jensen USA or Universal, I assume they aren't allowed to ship to Canada. ProBikeKit.ca no longer has groupsets, in fact doesn't seem to have any Shimano any more.

Shimano are the most recognizable name to the casual cyclist, and by far sell the most stuff both to OEMs and as upgrades. This might change if they are no longer accessible to the upgrade-itis crowd.

I've never really looked at SRAM because of difficulty in getting it - Shimano have now surpassed them in difficulty. Campagnolo I always percieved as a nightmare of compatibility. (although Shimano is no better post 5800/4700 groups)

If Campagnolo is now the most available and cheapest to home wrenches, I'm going to have to invest in a couple tools (although I guess maybe not if I go 11 speed - I can keep running 'shimano compatible' freehubs and cassettes and run FSA cranks)

The thing is, I'm not going to spend three times as much to get the 105 kit I might have bought from CRC or bike24 from the LBS - I'm probably going to buy nothing, buy Campy, or go full retro. I don't seen any way this actually benefits Shimano in overall sales.
Old 06-09-19, 06:17 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Does anyone know if they're targeting online sites even in your own country? Are they funneling more business directly through local bike shops?
Old 06-09-19, 06:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Consumers want variety at good prices.
That is true regardless of the industry/hobby being discussed.

I have no doubt you are also this way in some(many?) instances, just noy cycling since you are on the retail side of things.

Consumers have seen how much these components can sell for and naturally dislike price increases and reduced availability once they have seen what could be.

To that, you chastise. Typical.
Old 06-09-19, 06:26 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Consumers want variety at good prices.
That is true regardless of the industry/hobby being discussed.

I have no doubt you are also this way in some(many?) instances, just noy cycling since you are on the retail side of things.

Consumers have seen how much these components can sell for and naturally dislike price increases and reduced availability once they have seen what could be.

To that, you chastise. Typical.
Then you get the case of Australia where the availability is even more limited and the prices even higher than the USA.
Old 06-09-19, 06:39 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
In the golf industry both Ping and Titleist will pull a retailers account if they sell below MAP. That's just the way it is in some industries.
Old 06-10-19, 09:30 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
I would order Shimano stuff from Chain Reaction in Ireland then I was informed Shimano won’t let them sell to USA or Canada. I was
Old 06-10-19, 10:22 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Thank you all for the ones who posted useful comments. However, this post about whining was not useful.
Likes For hybridbkrdr:
Old 06-10-19, 09:02 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I don't understand what this topic is about. I guess I'll see in time how this affects me. Just looked on eBay, got a choice here of over 5,000 brand new Shimano rear derailleurs. Starting at the cost of a McDonald's meal. I'll get some boxes from work for hoarding, and keep an eye on things.
Old 06-10-19, 09:32 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 212 Posts
Is there a business opportunity here? I mean, one that pays a little more than Skip the Dishes or UBER. How about a middle man in a "Shimano friendly" country who buys quantities of Shimano product, gets a discount for bulk purchases and then re-sells it to places determined non grata by Shimano. He could position himself arms length from the actual jobber re-seller so Shimano wouldn't slap his wrist. I don't know, just an idea. Shimano is insane to flip the bird at a huge market like the USA.
Old 06-11-19, 02:00 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
The bigger problem is that now products just aren't available, not that they're available at an increased price.
Old 06-11-19, 05:02 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Merlin still seems to be in operation, but mind you, the cost difference shopping there for Shimano vs. eg. Texascyclesport (using Ultegra 8000 groupset example) only seems to be about 15% -- which IMO wouldn't be worth it for the warranty issues from going overseas.
Old 06-11-19, 05:36 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
No problems buying Campagnolo products from England.

God bless the Queen.
Old 06-12-19, 06:32 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
Isn't all this why we have aliexpress?
Fixed it for you.
Old 06-12-19, 07:40 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Fixed it for you.
Does aliexpress have better buyer protection than ebay?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.