Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 06-17-19, 07:07 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by eatontkd
Wow, I like it! Tell me more of the Rudi...
He's a local and not only was he able to rivet the cover to a new frame (I drilled the cover off the broken frame), he has in the past made new leather covers. But he says that's a lot of work and his costs mean there's no advantage over buying a new saddle. I was able to drop my saddle off and pick it up at his place of business. I don't know how much of this he really wants to do or if he's into shipping. But you can ask. He's RHM on this forum.
Old 06-17-19, 09:31 AM
usarnie1

Bikes: 1936 Raleigh Sports Tourists, 1952 Raleigh, 1957 Raleigh, 1963 Raleigh Dawn Tourist, 1953 Hercules Tourist, 1953 Hercules Royal Prince, 1953 Hercules Windsor, 1958 Bianchi Sport & 1960 Bianchi Sport

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Another Hercules added to my stable!

Hello fellow 3 speeders. Last week I found and purchased a 1953 Hercules Royal Prince, that was only 12 miles away from my home. This is my number 3 of 1953 Hercules that I own. Basically, the bike had good bones, so I went all out on its' rejuvenation. Shown below are the before and after photos of the bike.

Many of the front fork bearings were missing, the front tire and tube had a blow out, the front axel bearing races were pitted, the saddle was made in Taiwon, the hand grips were USA made, The chain had 2 links that were frozen, the rear clamp for the chain guard was missing, one of the pedals dust caps was missing, the kick stand was missing and the complete front brake was missing. Since these early 1950s Hercules are so rare, I had to have it!

I put on new Schwalbe tires/tubes, used original Hercules tan saddle, new matching tan hand grips, used Brooks tan leather tool bag, complete early Hercules front brakes, nice used front axel and bearing races, period correct Midland repainted carrying rack, Miller generator light kit with a stem mounted bracket, NOS Hercules pedals, Raleigh logo kick stand, new indicator chain and its' anchor and all new cables. Coming soon will be reproduction Hercules chainguard sticker, tan pannier bags and matching triangle bag to mount in-between the V portion of the frame.

After1

After2
Likes For usarnie1:
Old 06-17-19, 10:05 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Start hitting the cotters with penetrating oil right away. I hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but I have never experienced the trouble with cotters that I've seen other people here have. I'm thinking this may be due to my system of oiling them a few days before I start a BB service. I take the nut and washer off and fill the well with PB Blaster. Only twice did I have cotters bend so badly that I had to drill and drive them out with a hammer and punch. Sometimes the threaded end will bend slightly. In that case I put the nut on, chuck it up in the bench vise and tap it straight again. It used to be a big tragedy if I wrecked a cotter getting it out. Filing those cheap cotters they sell these days to fit and align the crank arms at the same time is a pest. Now, with some Bike Smith cotters on hand, I don't have to worry about that anymore.
+1 All so true! Was planning on hoisting the bike from the shed rafter and pulling the wheels, oiling the cotters today but pulled a back muscle so... it’s wait and see. At least I will begin lubing the cotters.
Old 06-17-19, 10:15 AM
3speedslow

Originally Posted by gster
Still Out There

A Raleigh Folder here in Toronto for $100.00

Nice! I like that rack too. Looks higher and more back then the other ones. Those pedals are like what I have. Chrome around the foot blocks. I wonder if the rims are 451.
Old 06-17-19, 12:07 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by usarnie1
Hello fellow 3 speeders. Last week I found and purchased a 1953 Hercules Royal Prince, that was only 12 miles away from my home. This is my number 3 of 1953 Hercules that I own. Basically, the bike had good bones, so I went all out on its' rejuvenation. Shown below are the before and after photos of the bike.

Many of the front fork bearings were missing, the front tire and tube had a blow out, the front axel bearing races were pitted, the saddle was made in Taiwon, the hand grips were USA made, The chain had 2 links that were frozen, the rear clamp for the chain guard was missing, one of the pedals dust caps was missing, the kick stand was missing and the complete front brake was missing. Since these early 1950s Hercules are so rare, I had to have it!

I put on new Schwalbe tires/tubes, used original Hercules tan saddle, new matching tan hand grips, used Brooks tan leather tool bag, complete early Hercules front brakes, nice used front axel and bearing races, period correct Midland repainted carrying rack, Miller generator light kit with a stem mounted bracket, NOS Hercules pedals, Raleigh logo kick stand, new indicator chain and its' anchor and all new cables. Coming soon will be reproduction Hercules chainguard sticker, tan pannier bags and matching triangle bag to mount in-between the V portion of the frame.

After1

After2
Beautiful bike. Nice work. The brown torpedo grips go well with the saddle and red color. Those really are NOS Hercules pedals. Quite a rare find. Original Herc-O-Matic shifter too.
Old 06-17-19, 08:58 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Okay, the wait and involuntary drooling on my desk was worth all that...Welcome, properly broken in Noob!
Thanks!

I'm a little surprised at how rarely this Hercules gets any attention, but, because its not crabon fibre, or titnium, or even hydro formed aluminum, it generally isn't worth a second glance....

I am away from home working in NYC, and I have a sturmey archer folding bike with me, I just put down an hour and a half on the pedals hard, I'd certainly prefer to have my Hercules here, but having a 16" wheeled folder is certainly enough to for me to go turn the cranks hard after work and go to bed happy :-)

Originally Posted by gster
Still Out There

A Raleigh Folder here in Toronto for $100.00

OMG, $100?!?!?!? $100 Canadian?!?!? East Idaho craigslist sucks, stuff like this never comes up :-(

Hello fellow 3 speeders. Last week I found and purchased a 1953 Hercules Royal Prince, that was only 12 miles away from my home. This is my number 3 of 1953 Hercules that I own.
Beautiful bike!
Old 06-18-19, 07:14 AM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts

Very nice! These are one of my favourite grips for roadster and light roadster bikes. They always look the part. I've just visited the US and bought 2 sets of the velo orange rustines grips, that I've been wanting to try for a long time. I think these will also look just as good on 'our' kind of vintage bike.
You really nailed the colour of the Midland rack.
Old 06-18-19, 04:28 PM
3speedslow

My Raleigh Twenty and I are not having a good day.
Old 06-18-19, 04:55 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
I brought this old Hercules back from my dad's yesterday. He got it for $2 at a garage sale several years ago. I am planning to go over it, replace cables and grease bearings, etc. The paint is pretty rough, I'm not sure if it's original or not. The seat and grips were replaced at some point with Dorcy reproduction parts.

1950-something Hercules

Birmingham head badge

Her-cu-matic shifter
Old 06-18-19, 05:46 PM
3speedslow

Awesome! It looks eager for a clean up. If it has an original shifter, it’s way ahead of the game!
Old 06-18-19, 05:50 PM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Originally Posted by Pompiere
I brought this old Hercules back from my dad's yesterday. He got it for $2 at a garage sale several years ago. I am planning to go over it, replace cables and grease bearings, etc. The paint is pretty rough, I'm not sure if it's original or not. The seat and grips were replaced at some point with Dorcy reproduction parts.

1950-something Hercules

Birmingham head badge

Her-cu-matic shifter
Her-cu-matic! I knew someone who's son in law worked for Ronco and he was known in the family as Steve-o-matic.
Old 06-18-19, 05:59 PM
3speedslow

I’m back, had to go for a ride and cool off.

time to upgrade the rims on my Twenty and regrease the BB turned into a bad time. Using a park tool press the NDS pin came right out. The DS did not budge, just bent over and snapped off. Trying to punch it out with no effect. Looks like it is hung up on the slot ledge. Might have to drill. This after soaking in oil too.

moved on, taped new rims to wheels. Started with the front. All went fine but in the end, the CR18 is not even close to the SA rims. Spokes all too loose for a truing. So it looks like spoke calculating time, new spoke/washer time and more cost..,

i’m almost afraid to try and change the 15T cog for a 16T right now. Snap ring might break or fly off who knows where!
Old 06-18-19, 07:36 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Start hitting the cotters with penetrating oil right away. I hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but I have never experienced the trouble with cotters that I've seen other people here have. I'm thinking this may be due to my system of oiling them a few days before I start a BB service. I take the nut and washer off and fill the well with PB Blaster. Only twice did I have cotters bend so badly that I had to drill and drive them out with a hammer and punch. Sometimes the threaded end will bend slightly. In that case I put the nut on, chuck it up in the bench vise and tap it straight again. It used to be a big tragedy if I wrecked a cotter getting it out. Filing those cheap cotters they sell these days to fit and align the crank arms at the same time is a pest. Now, with some Bike Smith cotters on hand, I don't have to worry about that anymore.
After struggling with some 10 speed cotters on Raleigh's, Peugeot's etc I bought a Bike Smith Cotter press, it wasn't cheap but it has yet (knock wood) to fail me. Your method of penetrating oil before service sounds like a best practice @BigChief

Old 06-18-19, 07:54 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
OMG, $100?!?!?!? $100 Canadian?!?!? East Idaho craigslist sucks, stuff like this never comes up :-(
Yeah, the last time I saw a Raleigh Twenty in that nice a condition for $100.00, I was working at A.R. Adams and was selling it new. Say, early 1970's.

I think I paid $150.00 for mine, and it wasn't in quite that nice a shape.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 06-18-19, 09:05 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 268 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
The DS did not budge, just bent over and snapped off. Trying to punch it out with no effect.
Bigger hammer? Support the bottom side of the pin with a piece of pipe cut to bear against the ground so when you hit the pin with the hammer all the energy goes into the pin and not into compressing tires and the like?
Old 06-19-19, 02:51 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by jackbombay
Bigger hammer? Support the bottom side of the pin with a piece of pipe cut to bear against the ground so when you hit the pin with the hammer all the energy goes into the pin and not into compressing tires and the like?
Exactly! Although, I do have a punch set and I know most don't. I think they are essential tools. I have never had a cotter break off like that. Usually they just bend. Well, this saves you the trouble of drilling away the bent part. What I do is center punch the cotter, start with a small drill and work up until the drill is almost as big as the diameter of the cotter hole in the crank. This leaves a centered counter sink in the top of the cotter. Then I drill a clearance hole in a 2x4 and cut it to length so it supports the crank arm against the cement floor. Then using the fattest punch that fits into the counter sink, I drive out the cotter. From the looks of it, you may be able to get away with just supporting the crank arm and driving it through. I like the counter sink because it helps direct all the energy straight through the cotter.
edit: If you don't already have them, I highly recommend new cotters from Mark at BikeSmith. They are the best quality and he custom tapers them to fit Raleigh cranks. On the good side, if you use good cotters and properly install them with the press, you'll never have this problem again.

Last edited by BigChief; 06-19-19 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-19-19, 05:25 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Originally Posted by 3speedslow

I’m back, had to go for a ride and cool off.

time to upgrade the rims on my Twenty and regrease the BB turned into a bad time. Using a park tool press the NDS pin came right out. The DS did not budge, just bent over and snapped off. Trying to punch it out with no effect. Looks like it is hung up on the slot ledge. Might have to drill. This after soaking in oil too.

moved on, taped new rims to wheels. Started with the front. All went fine but in the end, the CR18 is not even close to the SA rims. Spokes all too loose for a truing. So it looks like spoke calculating time, new spoke/washer time and more cost..,

i’m almost afraid to try and change the 15T cog for a 16T right now. Snap ring might break or fly off who knows where!
I've given up working on these without a cotter press. Too much time, too much frustration, too much un-success. Not that I've bought the Bikesmith one. But my LBS has the older Park tool and the proprietor will let me use it if I bring the bike over, which isn't that convenient either. Eventually, I will have to buy the Bikesmith tool, I know that.
Old 06-19-19, 07:48 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 189 Posts
Exactly! Although, I do have a punch set and I know most don't. I think they are essential tools. I have never had a cotter break off like that. Usually they just bend. Well, this saves you the trouble of drilling away the bent part. What I do is center punch the cotter, start with a small drill and work up until the drill is almost as big as the diameter of the cotter hole in the crank. This leaves a centered counter sink in the top of the cotter. Then I drill a clearance hole in a 2x4 and cut it to length so it supports the crank arm against the cement floor. Then using the fattest punch that fits into the counter sink, I drive out the cotter. From the looks of it, you may be able to get away with just supporting the crank arm and driving it through. I like the counter sink because it helps direct all the energy straight through the cotter.
edit: If you don't already have them, I highly recommend new cotters from Mark at BikeSmith. They are the best quality and he custom tapers them to fit Raleigh cranks. On the good side, if you use good cotters and properly install them with the press, you'll never have this problem again.
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
I've given up working on these without a cotter press. Too much time, too much frustration, too much un-success. Not that I've bought the Bikesmith one. But my LBS has the older Park tool and the proprietor will let me use it if I bring the bike over, which isn't that convenient either. Eventually, I will have to buy the Bikesmith tool, I know that.

The Bikesmith cotter press is essential for a headache free disassembly of old three speeds or any other bike with a cottered crank, like my Peugeot. I was done in two minutes after soaking the cotter pins with PB Blaster and using the press. I could have reused the originals, but I decided to put in the cotters that Mark provided. I'll keep the originals for another day. The quality of the 1950 cotters is impressive considering how long they were in the crank.
Old 06-19-19, 08:47 AM
BigChief 

Those circlips that hold the cog on the driver are easy to remove. It's getting them back on that's hard for me. I don't even have a good technique to pass along. It's one of those things I just fight with until I win.
Old 06-19-19, 09:00 AM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Free Raleigh Three Speed, DC area

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...910311657.html

FREE Curb Alert
Bike is FREE! if not gone by Thursday AM, the rubbish men will take it off.
1960s black Raleigh bike with mechanical lever/rod brakes
I put the bike on the curb.
Three speed rear hub.
Parked in shed for the last 40 years.
Hole drilled in frame near the "R" in Raleigh, see pic.
No seat, no fenders, no chain guard
FREE at the curb waiting pickup.
Likes For mirfi:
Old 06-19-19, 11:00 AM
3speedslow

Thanks all! Right now I am ready to drill the counter hole for the punch. Might get a bigger one from my friend to use. Already have the 2/4 with the hole drilled into it. Still loading it up with tri flow and Phil’s.

i’m more upset about the rims not working with the spokes. More downtime for my poor Twenty.
Old 06-19-19, 11:13 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi

FREE Curb Alert
Three speed rear hub.
I hope somebody here picks this up! Looks like a 23" frame as well.
Old 06-19-19, 12:18 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi

FREE Curb Alert
Three speed rear hub.
I am on the Eastern Shore. By the time I got there it would be in the hands of an enthusiast or a scrapper and I know a guy who has a pair of NOS fenders. Bummer.
Old 06-19-19, 01:12 PM
3speedslow

Little oil, drill, punch and repeat.

All nice and clean!

Still ready to do the job after 40 years!
Success! Fighting all the way but the cotter finally came out. All BB parts shiny and free of wear. I found chunks of old grease and a petrified wasp but no sock. The Teflon spray was helping it but new grease is what it needs.

The drill bit stayed mostly in the pin but towards the bottom drifted out into the crank. I can see a little divot out of the wall. Both openings are still round. I will be getting new pins, most likely from Mark.
Old 06-19-19, 02:42 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I am on the Eastern Shore. By the time I got there it would be in the hands of an enthusiast or a scrapper and I know a guy who has a pair of NOS fenders. Bummer.
I was wondering who I know in the area that could pick it up for me.. But I don't know anybody that lives on that side of DC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.