Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

How much of a difference do high end wheels make for gravel?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 02:07 PM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts

So, I am really new to the gravel thing. Ive been a hard core roadie for a while though. I have a week old Giant Revolt Advanced 2 that I love, and I am already thinking about changing the wheels. The question is, does replacing the Wheelset I have with something much more expensive and light even make that much of a difference when it comes to gravel grinding?
This is my “all-around” bike and I do have a “go fast” bike with high end carbon wheels for when I have the itch for speed. I can understand buying a second Wheelset for going fast if this were my only bike.
I am just trying to wrap my head around if dropping a lot of money into a lighter alloy or carbon Wheelset even makes sense if it is wrapped in 38c knobby tires and the main purpose is to be reliable and comfortable with speed being further down the list of priorities.
Old 06-26-19, 02:42 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
As with a road bike, the difference a set of high end wheels makes is TINY compared to the dollars necessary to buy them. There are lots of places you can spend less money and get a lot more benefit. Unless the wheels you have are extremely heavy or quite flimsy, there's no way to justify a high-end replacement. Unless you just want the bling.
Old 06-26-19, 02:50 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
gravel hills tend to be much steeper than paved hills.

and then the end all argument...... how much more enjoyment will you get from higher end wheels?

for me, high end wheels are everything!

Note: it's not always about going fast. sometimes nice, is just nice, and better to ride.
Old 06-26-19, 03:04 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Not much for me at all. First, get some light tires. 1 kg for a pair of tires is rather heavy but typical. 700gr/pair is pretty light and much cheaper than wheels. Then Maybe then spend an extra $1,000+ on wheels to save another 100 grams.

It depends where your starting point is though. If you have 2kg in stock wheels there is a lot of room for improvement. If stock wheels are closer to 1.6kg, gains may be minimal.
Old 06-26-19, 03:05 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The Giant PX-2 wheelset that comes on the Revolt Advanced 2 weighs over 2,000g. This is not light. You don't even need something high end-- a typical set of midgrade alloy wheels (like the ProWheelBuilder Signature Series) will result in a wheelset 400-500g lighter, for ~5 hundred bucks. Chinese carbon will get you 500-600g lighter for $600-700.
Old 06-26-19, 03:55 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
For me, the reason to get a second wheel-set was primarily to have a different kind of tire, with well-made and robust being more important than weight (HED Belgium Plus aluminum rims, White Industry hubs). So now I have 38mm treaded tires on those wheels, and 38mm slick tires on a nearly identical wheel-set.
Old 06-26-19, 04:14 PM
BluFalconActual

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The Giant PX-2 wheelset that comes on the Revolt Advanced 2 weighs over 2,000g. This is not light. You don't even need something high end-- a typical set of midgrade alloy wheels (like the ProWheelBuilder Signature Series) will result in a wheelset 400-500g lighter, for ~5 hundred bucks. Chinese carbon will get you 500-600g lighter for $600-700.
Wow I didn’t realize they were that hefty. Ill look into something like the Easton EA70 AX’s or even the Shimano GRX’s when they come out.
Old 06-26-19, 04:34 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Blu - we're the same person, roadies living in a gravel world. Let me tell you from experience, a high end gravel wheelset is absolutely worth it. I've been down this road twice now. the first was the stock wheelset on my Raleigh Tamland. Durable, but crazy heavy, like 2200g. I replaced those with ~1480g American Classic Races. The difference was incredible in every way. It completely transformed the bike. Fast forward a few years, I no longer have the Tamland (RIP) and the AC wheels are coming apart. I now have a Cannondale Topstone with 2300g OEM wheels. These are going to be replaced as well. But this time I'm not going the super expensive, light, and fragile route. I'm probably looking at a set of Hunt Masons at ~1600g for $380. The difference will still be night and day.
Likes For shoota:
Old 06-26-19, 04:49 PM
BluFalconActual

Originally Posted by shoota
Blu - we're the same person, roadies living in a gravel world. Let me tell you from experience, a high end gravel wheelset is absolutely worth it. I've been down this road twice now. the first was the stock wheelset on my Raleigh Tamland. Durable, but crazy heavy, like 2200g. I replaced those with ~1480g American Classic Races. The difference was incredible in every way. It completely transformed the bike. Fast forward a few years, I no longer have the Tamland (RIP) and the AC wheels are coming apart. I now have a Cannondale Topstone with 2300g OEM wheels. These are going to be replaced as well. But this time I'm not going the super expensive, light, and fragile route. I'm probably looking at a set of Hunt Masons at ~1600g for $380. The difference will still be night and day.
Awesome thanks! Ill have to check those out.
Old 06-26-19, 05:31 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Test rode the Advanced 2 a few weeks back. Could definitely feel the wheels but didn't know they weighed that much. The Topstone wheels!

Have a couple of 1200gm gravel sets. I do like these when out all day doing lots of climbing.
Old 06-27-19, 08:24 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Some of the lower "trim level" gravel bikes have some really heavy wheelsets (like the aforementioned aluminum Cannondale Topstone 105 or the Giant Revolt Advanced 2). If you have a 2,000 gram wheelset, I think you could see some easy $/gram weight reduction going to a sub-$500 alloy wheelset that is closer to 1,600 grams. But I don't think I'd put a $2,000 deep section carbon wheelset on a gravel bike, but that's just me.
Old 06-27-19, 08:42 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
For me, the reason to get a second wheel-set was primarily to have a different kind of tire, with well-made and robust being more important than weight (HED Belgium Plus aluminum rims, White Industry hubs). So now I have 38mm treaded tires on those wheels, and 38mm slick tires on a nearly identical wheel-set.
This is my main motivator for another gravel wheelset, just to make it easier to swap tires for different conditions. I'll take some weight savings while I'm at it, but they need to be sturdy and reasonably priced.
Old 06-27-19, 08:51 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
This is my main motivator for another gravel wheelset, just to make it easier to swap tires for different conditions. I'll take some weight savings while I'm at it, but they need to be sturdy and reasonably priced.
https://novemberbicycles.com/collect...nt=34695629189
Old 06-27-19, 09:20 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
As with a road bike, the difference a set of high end wheels makes is TINY compared to the dollars necessary to buy them. There are lots of places you can spend less money and get a lot more benefit. Unless the wheels you have are extremely heavy or quite flimsy, there's no way to justify a high-end replacement. Unless you just want the bling.
As everyone else said, only true if the upgrade only nets a tiny weight loss.

It's totally possible to drop 1 to 1.5 lbs of rotating weight. It makes a huge difference. Just like on the road bike. It's probably the BEST place to spend money to make it faster.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 06-27-19, 09:44 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts

It's totally possible to drop 1 to 1.5 lbs of rotating weight. It makes a huge difference. Just like on the road bike. It's probably the BEST place to spend money to make it faster.

True. If you have some decent OEM 1600-1700g gravel wheels, you won't see much of a benefit. If you have 2.2kg boat anchor wheels - definite improvement.

As said above, you can get some good fairly light wheels for $500, or save 100g for an extra $1000.

For me, tires are the biggest bang for the buck. I can save 30-50 watts by using a good set of tires for $100. Nothing comes close to that bang for buck.
Old 06-27-19, 10:41 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Cheapie OEM wheels are often both heavy and flimsy. I know nothing about the OP's bike, but it may be possible to spend $600-$700 to get wheels that are both noticeably lighter AND more stronger/more reliable.
Old 06-27-19, 10:51 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts

The best way to make any bike faster is to put aero bars on. Second best is better tires. Wheelset is somewhere 3rd-5th. I think a high engagement hub is more important than wheelset itself.

A new wheelset is one of the worst places to spend money to make a bike faster, the gains are extremely small for the cost - on the road - and even smaller on gravel. It's an ok place to save weight but speed does not equal weight. As mentioned by true gravel maven Chas58, tires are king. I'd rather ride a 2kg set of wheels with turbo cottons than a 1.3kg set shod in gatorskins.

Now, a lighter wheelset can have a huge improvement in feel but that almost never translates to overall speed, either top end or average along a course. The weight, rotational weight arguments just aren't there and real world testing bears this out.
Old 06-27-19, 11:57 AM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Since we're talking about gravel bikes, another reason or purpose for a second wheel set is to move from 700c to 650b, or vice versa. As mentioned, some factory wheels are quite heavy, and a good custom or off the shelf (Hunt) alloy wheel set around 1600g can be had for $400-$500. Maybe even less. Moving to 650b introduces an entire new feel and ride quality with bigger low pressure high volume tires in whichever type of tread you desire.

eric/fresno, ca.