Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dogs

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 05:56 PM
Sco++

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dogs

Had a ride this evening which taught me to never make any sudden moves near a doggie, even if he is under his owners control.

Man was checking his mailbox on my side of the road, accompanied by his (unleashed) German Shepard. The dog looked to be not much more than a pup, but he was one BIG pup...

Man sees me approaching on my bike, and gives doggie a command to sit. Doggie obeys perfectly, watching me approach all the while.

I raise my hand to wave and say "Thanks" to doggie's master. Bad move. My hand was about half way raised and I got "Tha..." out of my mouth before doggie made a move for me from about 10 feet. I swear, that dog moved like he was on a trip wire. BUT, being a well-trained doggie (lucky for me), master shouts "Halt", or "Stop", or something, and doggie freezes like he hit a brick wall. Made my heart monitor go off the scale.

Doggie may have been a true off duty Police Dog or something, I don't know. He seemed exceptionally well trained, as if he interpreted my raised hand as a threat to his master or something.

Watch out who (or what) you wave to...
Old 07-05-06, 07:04 PM
partbug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like you said Lucky for you
Old 07-05-06, 11:27 PM
Dogbait
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The two most common responses from dog owners:

before - "Don't worry, he won't bite".

after - "Jeez, he's never done that before".

Dogbait
Old 07-06-06, 12:17 AM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
"Everything was fine until you came along on that damn bike...so you must be the problem."
Old 07-06-06, 05:45 AM
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My riding bud,Milkbone, would say welcome to the club.

It sounded like you weren't certain what the guy said to his dog..... in our town the canine patrol dogs recieve their commands in Dutch. Not to many gang bangers speak Dutch.
Old 07-06-06, 05:53 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, come on now. The poor little pup saw you and had visions of glory. He just wanted to be fast too.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
4943107.gif (16.6 KB, 126 views)
Old 07-06-06, 06:18 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Dogs are usually most aggressive on their own turf and particularly around their "family". They also have a natural instinct to chase.....
Old 07-06-06, 09:46 AM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, if I'm not dodging doggies, I'm swimming with...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1070538_edited.jpg (81.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 07-06-06, 11:40 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
As a longtime Boxer owner, I really am a friend of dogs. But, after being chased about 100 yds. up a hill by one persistent mutt, I have to say I've copped an "attitude." In some of the more rural parts of northeast CT you really can be vulnerable to two and four legged threats. More than once I've carried my Keltec .32 because I am not going to be a victim to ignorance and bad acts.

bruce19
Old 07-06-06, 11:44 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sco++
Yeah, if I'm not dodging doggies, I'm swimming with...

Is that your pool? If so, how'd you get him out of there?
Old 07-06-06, 03:40 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
As a dog owner, I still don't trust dogs or kids to do what they are told. I seem to have an affinity with dogs though. One word from me and they do what they like.

The smaller the dog- the easier they are to bunny hop over. Just think yourself lucky that this big dog had an owner that could control it.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-06-06, 03:44 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Is that your pool? If so, how'd you get him out of there?
Yes, that is our pool. We have a fence gate we leave open, so he comes in and out of it. He's been here several times before, but this is the first time we've seen him. This time he showed up right at dusk (July 2).
Usually the only sign he's been around is the bent bird feeder brackets and the empty feeders. He is VERY quiet. We spooked him into climbing the fence to escape.

By the way NOS, he's a PA bear...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1070539_edited.jpg (96.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-06-06, 03:47 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 90 Posts
Yes, that is our pool. We have a fence gate we leave open, so he comes in and out of it. He's been here several times before, but this is the first time we've seen him. This time he showed up right at dusk (July 2).
Usually the only sign he's been around is the bent bird feeder brackets and the empty feeders. He is VERY quiet. We spooked him into climbing the fence to escape.

Around here it's mandatory to keep your pool gate closed in case small children wander in.
Old 07-06-06, 03:51 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

That doesn't surprise me. PA bears are highly intelligent animals and always seek the "good life". Next, he'll want more than bird seed and be looking for a cold brew to go with it, and perhaps a sweet little thing to spread suntan lotion on his hairy back.
Old 07-06-06, 03:52 PM
goaliedad30

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I do a lot of riding on a wonderful MUP that for some reason has a ton of people who walk their dog without a leash. There are lots of runners and cyclists that use this trail, and I can't for the life of me understand why these folks don't have better control of their pooches. And I'm a dog lover!!
Old 07-06-06, 06:04 PM
Louis

We're starting to get a few bears around here too. The newspapers claim they're wandering in from PA. Now I am thinking...if PA bears are intelligent--what the hell are they doing coming into Ohio?
Old 07-06-06, 07:17 PM
centexwoody 

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No leash law outside our city limits (where I typically ride). So the young dogs who've not yet learned their trade will run at you & BITE. My wife has been bitten twice. The old dogs just watch & yawn. Last year there were 16 dogs poisoned along one county road, dogs that ran in a pack & bothered everybody. This happens every few years to keep the rural neighborhoods sanitized. I have no sympathy for the dog(s) running loose and being aggressive - if the trucks don't get them, irate neighbors will...the cyclists just put on a burst of speed (at least those NOT on Giant Boulder knobby-tired MTB's).
Old 07-06-06, 07:18 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
We're starting to get a few bears around here too. The newspapers claim they're wandering in from PA. Now I am thinking...if PA bears are intelligent--what the hell are they doing coming into Ohio?
Good one! However, I believe Cleveland is pretty cool...R&R Hall Of Fame and such. Kind of a neat downtown, too.
Old 07-06-06, 07:20 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Louis,
A member of the Beat generation, eh?
Old 07-06-06, 07:22 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by centexwoody
No leash law outside our city limits (where I typically ride). So the young dogs who've not yet learned their trade will run at you & BITE. My wife has been bitten twice. The old dogs just watch & yawn. Last year there were 16 dogs poisoned along one county road, dogs that ran in a pack & bothered everybody. This happens every few years to keep the rural neighborhoods sanitized. I have no sympathy for the dog(s) running loose and being aggressive - if the trucks don't get them, irate neighbors will...the cyclists just put on a burst of speed (at least those NOT on Giant Boulder knobby-tired MTB's).
That's what I like about Texans. They don't mess around.
Old 07-06-06, 08:47 PM
Louis

Good one! However, I believe Cleveland is pretty cool...R&R Hall Of Fame and such. Kind of a neat downtown, too.
I'm about 35mi. south of Cleveland, don't get up there too often these days, but yes, Cleveland is great with it's diversity and music, etc.
Old 07-06-06, 08:53 PM
Louis

Louis,
A member of the Beat generation, eh?
There were so many great writers and poets from the '40's thru the '60's it was easy for me to become enlightened.
Old 07-06-06, 10:34 PM
megaman
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding a trike, I'm quite low to the ground. I've had several close calls with dogs running loose. I've always been able to outrun them so far, but I'm afraid I'm due to get chomped on. I now carry "Halt" dog repellant. If I can think fast enough and my aim is good enough and the wind is in the right direction and I don't drop the spray............ Gosh after all that I hope the stuff actually works!
Old 07-07-06, 05:38 AM
tly

Bikes: Cannondale T700 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dog observation

A couple of nights ago I was on a ride and going by a house where some appparently new folks moved into, two dogs came out as I was going by. On the first pass by, I was climbing and the dogs just came out to the road and barked which was no big deal.
. On the return trip, I of course was going downhill therefore my speed was quite a bit faster. On this trip, the dogs gave chase and seemed much more aggressive.
. I've observed over the years of being a telephone repairman that if you stand your ground, you're usually better off if the dog doesn't feel challanged (don't look them in the eye) but if you take flight, they become more aggressive. On my next ride by that house, I'm going to try and go slow both ways and see what they do.

Tom
Old 07-07-06, 05:56 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis

I want to say he was slumming it, but I've spent some time in almost all parts of Ohio; so, I know better.

He was probably lost from drinking too much brew at Sco++'s perpetual pool party.