Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Putting up with pain.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Putting up with pain.

Old 07-10-06, 06:20 PM
bkaapcke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Putting up with pain.

How much bike induced pain do you regularly put up with. I bought a bent which got rid of low back, shoulder, crotch and neck pain. It reduced hand pain by 75%. Arch supports got rid of foot numbness & pain. I still have this low grade chronic hand pain which I'm putting up wih at the moment. Other regular riders tell me they put up with a certain amount of hand/wrist pain. How about you?
Old 07-10-06, 06:44 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, there's the "pain" of pushing your body to a new threshold of performance and there's the pain that comes when something isn't working. The latter usually is my body's way of telling me I'm trying to do too much of the former. It's a tough balancing act. Frankly, I'm dealing with it by spinning a lot more in an easy gear, stretching more, and worrying less about setting the new land speed record. These days I'm just trying to keep my body from getting beat up. This cat shudders to think of how many lives he's already used up.
Old 07-10-06, 06:55 PM
CrossChain

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A degree of pain is probably normal sad to say. At least, certain kinds of normally non-injurious pain. After several miles in the saddle, no matter what saddle, my butt begins to hurt. My back may stiffen. Or my neck. The pain is not excruciating, only annoying. After all, we are asking our bodies to assume a sort of static position for long periods with some strange weight bearing points. This pain generally works itself out after a ride and all I remember is the pleasure and an endorphin after-glow. And sometimes a drowzy exhaustion. Someone said we shouldn't feel unworthy if we hurt...the pros hurt in all the same places. Compared to what I put up with after several years running, this pain is a small complaint.
Old 07-10-06, 07:14 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Chronic hip pain. Told I need a hip replacement soon. But for now, dealing with the pain is much better than the depression of not riding. My grandmother always said, "Life is mostly pain. It's how you handle it that counts."
Old 07-10-06, 07:44 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
Chronic hip pain. Told I need a hip replacement soon. But for now, dealing with the pain is much better than the depression of not riding. My grandmother always said, "Life is mostly pain. It's how you handle it that counts."
Good luck. Looks like you're in good company with Floyd Landis needing the same thing. BTW, my grandfather used to say, "If you're gonna like life you've got to learn to like trouble."
Old 07-10-06, 07:55 PM
RayGreen
OldButFit

Bikes: cheapies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi Gang,

I'm 54, and new to the forum as well as being new to biking. I've been a runner since '94 but due to a back issue, the doctor has me on a bike and out of the running shoes.

I've been actively biking for 6-7 weeks but my rides are usually only 12-14 miles during the week and 30-35 on Saturday. My only issue so far is tingling and numbness in my left hand. My neurologist said it's probably a carpal tunnel issue and by watching how I hold my hands on the bars, I can avoid the issue.

As with some of you, my butt does get sore but I'm getting toughened up. My present bike is a 15 speed cheapie (Wal-Mart) that I inherited from my youngest son. On my best days, in the hills of Central Ky. I'm barely averaging 15 mph.

If the back problem lingers too long, I'll invest in a decent ride. I may even keep biking a part of my training even if I can return to running.

Ray
Old 07-10-06, 08:36 PM
Sco++

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tylenol.
Old 07-10-06, 08:47 PM
megaman
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You mean you guys have pain during and after your rides? I don't have pain anymore. Sure I'm not very fast(10-14mph avg. on 40 mile rides) But I don't think pain should be a part of cycling.
Old 07-10-06, 09:18 PM
edp773

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wrist pain is my biggest thing right now. I have gotten the balane between seat and hanlebars about as good as I can get it. Uniquely mountly bar ends help considerably. My but gets sore after about two hours. I get DOMS if I push too hard or ride too many miles.

The one pain I get that you will not is when my prosthetic liners rubs sores on my knees and legs. Lots of Zeasorb in the friction areas helps with this.
Old 07-11-06, 04:35 AM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I've had back surgery three times and knee surgery once. I currently have a small amount of arthritus in my back and a degenerative disc. Pain is an every day thing for me. A strong headwind a long hill or pushing myself can cause some aditional pain. I had to give up running six years ago and basketball was left behind ten years ago, but giving up biking is not an option. I don't like pills but I love my ice pack. Currently I ride about 180 miles per week if the weather permits.
Old 07-11-06, 04:52 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Apparently, for many, chronic pain(s) are just a part of ageing. Managing pain effectively is a skill we'll all probably have to develop (or spend our waning years complaining of our pains to others who don't really care).

To answer the original poster's question, though: To date the limits on my bicycling have been elbow pain (on a flat-bar, upright-stance cruiser) and saddle pain (on all bikes so far). I've been lucky in avoiding ankle, knee, and hip pains (although as I continue to age...).

After about the first 30-45 minutes (and every successive time period of that duration), I've had to get off my bike, physically, and walk or stretch for a minute before continuing. If I'm able to lose weight, I may be able to increase my durations, but that's just speculation so far. It's also possible that my new (and as-of-yet unridden) recumbent may help also. I'll post with results when I ride again.
Old 07-11-06, 09:15 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Apparently, for many, chronic pain(s) are just a part of ageing. Managing pain effectively is a skill we'll all probably have to develop (or spend our waning years complaining of our pains to others who don't really care).
Sorry to hear of your pain, but I don't think pain is a normal part of aging. I know of many people in their 70s and 80s who are pain free. I also know a fair number of people younger than 50 who deal with chronic pain. I suspect that the media tends to reinforce the negative stereotypes related to this, but I'm not sure this is in anyone's best interest. Be curious to know if your recumbent helps with your pain.
Old 07-11-06, 10:48 AM
centexwoody 

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poor ergonomics on the bike are the source of all my pains to this point: doing microadjustments to seat position, handlebars, stem riser additions have all helped. Just exercising creates aches for me but it is better than the alternative of NOT exercising: use it or lose it. If I'm not at least a little sore or stiff or creaky then I figure I haven't actually exercised my muscles & joints sufficiently. 699 mg of ibuprofen & a good night's sleep usually works for a cure.
Old 07-11-06, 12:00 PM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pain for me comes mainly from old injuries. My arms from breaking them at the elbows and my left hip from an old childhood injury sledding. It is not the kind of pain that makes you want to yell but it is alway there and biking can make it worse. No matter what the skill of your ortho doc you never heal as good as you were prior to the injury.

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-11-06, 12:21 PM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by centexwoody
Poor ergonomics on the bike are the source of all my pains to this point: doing microadjustments to seat position, handlebars, stem riser additions have all helped.
I recently lowered my seat 2 mm, because even though my bike felt fine as I rode, I had a little twinge in my calves at night. The bike feels the same on the road, but now the calf pain is completely gone, even after a long ride. Just 2MM!!! Micro adjustments are really beneficial on a bike you know well.

Last edited by Big Paulie; 07-11-06 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 12:24 PM
centexwoody 

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ 1 to microadjustments - in my experience it seems to take 50 - 100 miles of riding (in whatever increments) to figure out what the heck is going on anyway
Old 07-11-06, 01:57 PM
jazzy_cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RayGreen
hi Gang,

My only issue so far is tingling and numbness in my left hand. My neurologist said it's probably a carpal tunnel issue and by watching how I hold my hands on the bars, I can avoid the issue.
Ray
A few ideas:

If you are feeling too stretched out which causes too much weight on your hands, try a shorter stem

You might consider "flat top" bars which have a more friendly place to rest your hands

Try getting some Dr. Scholls' gel inserts and cut out pieces that fit inside your gloves for additional padding.

Moving your hand position frequently will definitely help. Riding on the hoods, it should be like shaking hands.
Old 07-11-06, 03:42 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RayGreen
............ As with some of you, my butt does get sore but I'm getting toughened up. My present bike is a 15 speed cheapie (Wal-Mart) that I inherited from my youngest son. On my best days, in the hills of Central Ky. I'm barely averaging 15 mph.................
You do realize that the little speedometer computer only uses one magnet on the spoke and not two?

Heck, if you're averaging 15 mph in hilly country you can't be hurting too bad.
Old 07-11-06, 04:00 PM
dauphin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"What a drag it is getting old" Mick Jagger/Keith Richards
Old 07-11-06, 04:15 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by dauphin
"Hope I die before I get old" - Pete Townsend

Fortunately the definition of "old" keeps moving upward!
Old 07-11-06, 04:20 PM
CrossChain

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist
A few ideas:

If you are feeling too stretched out which causes too much weight on your hands, try a shorter stem

You might consider "flat top" bars which have a more friendly place to rest your hands

Try getting some Dr. Scholls' gel inserts and cut out pieces that fit inside your gloves for additional padding.

Moving your hand position frequently will definitely help. Riding on the hoods, it should be like shaking hands.
Another possibility is an aero bar. Take pressure totally off your hands by using it as another "hand" position. On long rides, into the wind, etc. it really is a useful addition.
Old 07-11-06, 04:36 PM
dauphin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a flat bar road bike and I just installed bar ends on it to provide extra hand positions. Since I am doing a lot of climbing and longer distances, they bar ends have been a tremendous help in alleviating fatique and numbness. I find myself riding pretty much in an "on the hoods" type of position common to drop bars as a good change of pace.
Old 07-11-06, 05:19 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
...Be curious to know if your recumbent helps with your pain.
As soon as I can ride, I'll let you know.
Old 07-11-06, 05:57 PM
Gary Diego
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dauphin
Keith should know!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-06, 06:35 PM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Asked a guy I knew in VN whose foot was blown off (lets everyone know it was not lost, it got blown off) how he withstood the pain (when he woke up). His reply - "greatest thing I ever felt". With my mouth open wide, he then replied - "I realized I was still alive".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.