Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing a 7-speed gear cluster - what is it?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-21-08, 02:43 PM
Katzenjammer
Utility Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a mid-range off-road bike with a 3x7 setup (1995 model, but I'd be surprized if any of the parts involved are original) The teeth on the smallest gears are quite worn, as I discovered after having the chain start skipping under load. So I imagine it's time to replace them. But I've no idea what it is, apart from something made by Shimano. Is there any way to tell whether it's a freewheel or a cassette or a pneumothorax without taking it apart?
Old 01-21-08, 03:20 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Post a pic of it here. Wheel out of the frame and shot straight on the hub end, or pretty close to it.
And model number off of it may be enough, if you can find it.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 01-21-08, 04:30 PM
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Katzenjammer
I have a mid-range off-road bike with a 3x7 setup (1995 model, but I'd be surprized if any of the parts involved are original) The teeth on the smallest gears are quite worn, as I discovered after having the chain start skipping under load. So I imagine it's time to replace them. But I've no idea what it is, apart from something made by Shimano. Is there any way to tell whether it's a freewheel or a cassette or a pneumothorax without taking it apart?
Yes, I have made a specific Web page for exactly this question: https://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7

Sheldon "FAQ" Brown
Old 01-24-08, 08:22 AM
Katzenjammer
Utility Cyclist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, Sheldon. Unfortunately, mine doesn't look completely like any of the photos you posted. I'd provide a photo of mine as Bob suggested, but my camera is momentarily hors de service.

Mine one looks least unlike the one on the right (cassette with lockring). Mine says "hyperglide-c" on it (it looks like a 'c' anyhow), and it shows a US Patent of 4889521 if that helps. I also see what looks to be a spliny edge as per your photo, but otherwise the resemblance is more in the fact that it looks even less like any of the others.
Old 01-24-08, 09:06 AM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, methinks from Sheldon's pretty, hi-res photos that you probably do in fact have the hyperglide with cassette. I only say this because, upon maximizing Sheldon's picture, it says Hyperglide and has the same patent number on it.
Old 01-24-08, 09:15 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Katzenjammer
Thanks, Sheldon. Unfortunately, mine doesn't look completely like any of the photos you posted. I'd provide a photo of mine as Bob suggested, but my camera is momentarily hors de service.

Mine one looks least unlike the one on the right (cassette with lockring). Mine says "hyperglide-c" on it (it looks like a 'c' anyhow), and it shows a US Patent of 4889521 if that helps. I also see what looks to be a spliny edge as per your photo, but otherwise the resemblance is more in the fact that it looks even less like any of the others.
My mid-90's 3X7 Mountain Bike has a cassette, of course that doesn't help you too much.

Any chance you could take your wheel into a bike shop and ask?

I can't remember if later shimano freewheels and lock rings take the same removal tool or not. As long as you can return the tool if it's the wrong one, it might be worth just trying. If it's a cassette, the whole thing will just spin backwards without coming off, - you'll need a chain whip.

If it's a freewheel, it won't turn at all without a whole lot of leverage.