Old 05-16-15, 06:10 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Get a rubber / vinyl cast cover from CVS. Much better than a plastic bag. If it gets a leak, use glueless tube patches.
Old 05-18-15, 07:17 PM
PrinzII

Bikes: Trek 4300 (2010 Model), Matte Green

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pam: Just read this and now have my cell phone in a handlebar mount. Both my wife and I have MapMyRide where she can actually track me on my route. As for the jackass that did not try to help, if I can stop to help a complete stranger (or at least offer to help) with a flat tire, that clown could have stopped to help you or even tried to get you help.
Old 05-19-15, 07:10 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Sorry to read this, Pam! Hope you heal up good as new. That guy! What a jerk...
Old 05-19-15, 11:16 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So... being off work on disability has been "interesting"... I struggle to get around; taking a shower is the highlight of my day although I have been able to do light housekeeping, laundry etc. I live in an apartment. For 1 1/2 weeks; there has been a sewage backup. The worse day, my tub was filled with pee/poop and the house smelled (for days!) like an outhouse. I have only one toilet so it meant for hours on end; I was without a bathroom. Desperate; I learned how to get out my front door (there are steps) and roll over to the pool were there is a public restroom. So I look at it as a good thing as I can now do laundry, take out trash etc. Also, I have been struggling with the disability insurance company. They denied my claim because the doctor's office did not respond in 5 days (of course the adjuster did not contact them until the 6 day - so there's that). That has all been straightened out and I have been told, the adjuster will be given additional "training" how to handle disability claims. She had no clue what stress her incompetence caused me. I have not been paid since April 20. I received notice from my employment that because disability was denied I can be terminated. Thankfully my manager stepped in and took care of things for me. Hopefully I will be receiving a pay check shortly. I've got some medical bills to pay!!!

Anyway, the biggest issue is just dealing with the boredom. I do little projects around the house, get on the computer for awhile, read, work on hobbies, but I am just bored. Plus the weather has been absolutely gorgeous for riding... and I can't ride.

Anyway, the cast hopefully comes off July 26. It was supposed to come off by July 16, but I had a fall and cracked the bone around one of the screws so punishment; 2 extra weeks in the cast. I should be returning to work after that. Physical therapy and hopefully a spin bike is in my future. My plan is by September to get back on my bike and just ride...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 05-19-15, 04:31 PM
mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
...for hours on end; I was without a bathroom.
Also, I have been struggling with the disability insurance company.
Between the two you've definitely had "Insult added to injury!"

...the biggest issue is just dealing with the boredom.
You like the outdoors. Maybe ask a friend to take you to the park?

My wife's experience after an injury was that, without her knowing it, a lot of her uninjured muscles became atrophied. I *strongly* suggest you do what you can to exercise everything that isn't hurt, such as your arms, torso and your "good" leg. You may even be able to exercise the upper part of your injured leg.
Old 05-20-15, 09:36 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwandaw

You like the outdoors. Maybe ask a friend to take you to the park?

My wife's experience after an injury was that, without her knowing it, a lot of her uninjured muscles became atrophied. I *strongly* suggest you do what you can to exercise everything that isn't hurt, such as your arms, torso and your "good" leg. You may even be able to exercise the upper part of your injured leg.
My friend does take me out after work... we go to a local park. I sit and read and he does his exercise. Otherwise I would be a total shut-in!

I am trying to do some exercise. Each morning I do sit-ups. I am trying to do some upper body lifts - bicep curls, triceps etc. I also try leg lifts although initially with the broken fibula there was some pain. I think the fibula is basically healed as the pain has subsided. Thanks for the recommendations but just not the same as getting out and doing a good 2 - 4 hour ride!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 05-20-15, 10:35 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Wow, what a story, and I missed it. Heal up!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-20-15, 10:29 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
The atrophy thing is definitely a valid point. I had no idea bout that issue and when the cast finally came off my first broken bone (elbow)...ow! Ever since, whenever I've had a broken bone, I do isometrics and just clinch and unclinch the muscles ten X an hour as tolerated. It seems to help.
Old 05-21-15, 12:27 PM
raceline

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Broke my shoulder while decending the long fire road pack to park entrance a few years back , funny thing is I tried to call my wife on my cell phone , didn't work although 911 did , needless to say it was a nice 1300.00 ambulance ride to Kaiser , The fire men took my cross bike to the fire house on carbon cyn and actually cleaned it for me when I came to pick it up , The strava rider is an ASS for not turning his ass around and not getting help, Sorry for your crash.
Old 05-21-15, 12:45 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I can, I will definitely stop by the Discovery Center/CHSP and thank Carmine, the ranger who helped me, in person. The paramedics wanted me to leave my bike in Chino Hills (like right there not locked up, nothing), I just wasn't willing to do that. Carmine suggested driving the bike down to the ranger station and locking it up; OK better than leaving out there for anyone to take. Then he figured out how to drive me and my bike out... he got me into his truck, strapped the bike on the back and drove me out... saved me a lost bike, saved me a ambulance/helicopter ride/charge. Carmine was extremely sweet and sympathetic. Thankfully I had a friend waiting for me at the Discovery Center who then took me (after putting the bike into the back of her truck) to the hospital (st. Jude). I had a friend with me instead of being driven alone to the hospital (which likely would have been on a the Riverside side as the paramedics came from Chino). I definitely owe Carmine some home made cookies and a carton of really good beer!

Old 05-21-15, 02:33 PM
climbnride58
climbnride58

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac(SL2), Specialized Carve(Pro)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I received notice from my employment that because disability was denied I can be terminated. Thankfully my manager stepped in and took care of things for me.
I just joined this site, but have been following your story. Glad to hear that you are on the mend.
It was nice that your manager stepped in to help you out, but I don't think they can fire you because your claim was denied
Old 05-22-15, 03:52 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
So sad...people here ( as in cars and trucks) stop and ask me if I need help when I stop just to take pics..

Because they see the bike laying down.
This is what astounds me... as a collective group, cyclists love to dump on drivers, but in my experience, drivers have often stopped to check if I or we are OK when we have been off the bikes at the side of roads. Yet this MTBer is lower than a snake's belly.

(Yes, I followed the link from 50+ to find out what happened to Pam. And as I will be passing through LAX in transit to Canada in June, I don't have a problem posting here ).
Old 05-22-15, 01:29 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by climbnride58
I just joined this site, but have been following your story. Glad to hear that you are on the mend.
It was nice that your manager stepped in to help you out, but I don't think they can fire you because your claim was denied
I know I would not get fired... my manger knew what as going on... it's just disturbing to get such a notice and the adjuster at the disability company had no idea what her actions caused to happen. It was just disturbing and stressful.

Rowan: nice to hear from you! I my story here instead of 50+ in the slim possibility the man that passed me on the trail would read mt story. I half think he thought I was kidding although it was clear I was walking with difficulty. I'm sure he thought that "old, fat broad bit off more than she could chew and now wants me to help her out..." Shouldn't matter why I asked for help... it should matter people would care enough to at least stop and find out...

Anyway, that's now in the past. Now I am counting down the weeks until my cast comes off (5 more weeks...UGH!).

Last edited by Pamestique; 05-22-15 at 01:32 PM.