Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sore Butt

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 08:37 AM
MidLife50

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Sore Butt

Newbie biker just starting 3rd week of owning bike (1st bike in 20yrs+). I'm riding 6 days a week. So far I've logged 119 miles this month, and just upped the effort by starting an 8 week training plan.

I've been riding in dri-fit athletic shorts/tops, not biking specific gear. Have had zero problems getting used to saddle until these past 2 days when my riding time has hit 1 hour per my plan. Now by the end of the ride the butt is getting a bit sore. Soreness goes away within minutes of getting off bike and getting my land legs back.

Is this just normal getting used to riding for a longer time? How long will it last?

Will cycling shorts make a big difference? I'm somewhat self-conscious about wearing them (plus I've spent my budget on bike/gear) so I'll stick with what I've got unless it's a big benefit.
Old 06-18-15, 08:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
daily 8 miles each way , I wear regular clothes (shopping runs) . when touring, riding all day, I wear bike shorts ..

even as Underwear with other stuff over them , (cargo shorts Etc.)

for the sweat absorbant seamless smooth surface against my crotch skin..

A clean Pair, daily..
Old 06-18-15, 08:58 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
for rides getting into an hour and longer I would switch to biking specific shorts. Cheap ones like house brand from nashbar or performance bike will likely work ok for 2 and 3 hour rides, but longer than that go to a higher quality short.
Old 06-18-15, 09:19 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Hmmm---------must be riding an antique 1880 style DF bike. Bent riders dont have that problem.
Old 06-18-15, 09:26 AM
Konaflyer

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Camber Expert, 2012 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2014 Electra Tiger Shark.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by obed7
for rides getting into an hour and longer I would switch to biking specific shorts. Cheap ones like house brand from nashbar or performance bike will likely work ok for 2 and 3 hour rides, but longer than that go to a higher quality short.
I agree completely!
Old 06-18-15, 09:34 AM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As we ago mussel tisue, skin, and your body reacts differently. Or does not tolorate as much abuse and discomfort as when you were in your 20's. My other half was a nurse 40+ years, she says no one ever died from a little pain.
Old 06-18-15, 10:30 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Rider_1
They have their own set of problems.
I dont have any problems on my bents.

To what do you refer, and do you ride a bent?
Old 06-18-15, 10:40 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Cycling shorts make a difference in comfort. The longer the ride the more important comfort in the saddle is.
Old 06-18-15, 11:00 AM
Matt144

Bikes: All-City Space Horse

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be a number of things, but most likely you are still getting used to the saddle. It should get better, but if it doesn't, padded shorts should do the trick. People are different, so some people can last longer than others, but it doesn't seem like you have any weird issue.
Old 06-18-15, 11:49 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Do dri-fit shorts wick moisture away (sounds like it does)? If so, the wicking effect of bike shorts probably won't help, IMO.

Modern bike shorts might help. The most comfortable shorts I've ever worn were wool with real chamois. 2nd best was polyester with a polyester fleece-type pad (Avocet & Cannondale from the '80s). I'm not really happy with the thick pad in a pair of Serfas shorts. Padding today is much thicker than my old stuff, and I think it just spreads out the pressure to areas that aren't normally affected when sitting/perching. Butt soreness is an individual thing, though, so maybe thick padding will work for you. If you want thin padding at low price, try out Aerotech Designs basic shorts: Mens Basic Padded Cycling Shorts on Sale now $24.95. (They have a wide variety of clothing at good prices.)

Sometimes a saddle is good only up to a point. What saddle are you using?
Old 06-18-15, 11:49 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by MidLife50

I've been riding in dri-fit athletic shorts/tops, not biking specific gear. Have had zero problems getting used to saddle until these past 2 days when my riding time has hit 1 hour per my plan. Now by the end of the ride the butt is getting a bit sore. Soreness goes away within minutes of getting off bike and getting my land legs back.

Will cycling shorts make a big difference? ...
IMO cycling shorts help with chaffing, but not with butt pain. That's just the result of time spent on pressure points and the continued pounding of the saddle. Standing from time to time helps, as does getting used to more saddle time. Be patient, and until you toughen up, look for better paved roads.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-18-15, 11:56 AM
obed7

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I dont have any problems on my bents.

To what do you refer, and do you ride a bent?
he might be referring to the stigma attached to bents riders and not being actual cyclists, I am not sure, he was not specific.
Old 06-18-15, 12:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The last time I bought a new saddle, it probably took 119 miles before I broke it in. Or rather, it broke me in. I suspect you're still getting used to it. I also think a proper pair of shorts will benefit you, not so much because of the pad, but because you won't be sitting on any seams or hems. I don't mind a short commute or shopping trip in regular clothes, but once I'm going to be in the saddle for more than an hour, I wear bibs.
Old 06-18-15, 01:23 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get some biking specific shorts/bibs.

I got these, and they are very comfortable: Performance Ultra Bib Shorts.

GH
Old 06-18-15, 01:47 PM
MidLife50

Using the stock saddle that came with the bike.
Old 06-18-15, 02:21 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Using the stock saddle that came with the bike.
There is a huge variety of saddles you can look into. it isn't so much padding as size and shape that matter, IMO. I have been using a Brooks B17 for 3 years now. I know they aren't for everybody but I am generally very satisfied with my Brooks.
Old 06-18-15, 04:49 PM
MidLife50

My LBS had some baggy bike shorts on sale so I picked up a pair. I'll give them a try in the morning and see if it helps solve my problem. Thanks.
Old 06-19-15, 06:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

he might be referring to the stigma attached to bents riders and not being actual cyclists, I am not sure, he was not specific.
I would rather bear a "stigma" than a sore butt.
Old 06-19-15, 06:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Rider_1
I wasn't referring to problems riding a recumbent...but it does seem that you have a problem with anyone riding anything but a recumbent
I do believe that the average recreational cyclist would be better served if they rode a bent. Pain is the biggest deterant to bike riding.

You see so many people go out and buy a bike, only to see it hung in the garage and not ridden because of butt pain. Then 5 years later it is sold on a garage sale for $40. OTOH if they had bought a bent bike or trike, they would probably still be riding it.
Old 06-19-15, 07:07 AM
MidLife50

Update: got an hour in this morning using the bike shorts and it was a definite improvement.
Old 06-19-15, 07:08 AM
obed7

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I would rather bear a "stigma" than a sore butt.
I would rather folks ride what they enjoy and not worry about what other folks think...if a bent is your thing, go for it...stigmas are in people heads, not on a bike. I ride what I like, because I like it, not because of what other folks think...I have 4 bikes, each a different brand, and each a different style...I ride which ever one best suits the ride I plan on doing that day...
Old 06-19-15, 08:07 AM
biker86

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would rather folks ride what they enjoy and not worry about what other folks think...if a bent is your thing, go for it...stigmas are in people heads, not on a bike. I ride what I like, because I like it, not because of what other folks think...I have 4 bikes, each a different brand, and each a different style...I ride which ever one best suits the ride I plan on doing that day...
I have to agree completely with you. I tried a road bike, didn't like it...felt like I was going to crash with it and the steering is too twitchy. Got myself a dual suspension mountain bike and I love it. Can ride it on the road like a normal road bike, but then I can go off onto trails and into the mountains too if I wanted. Also don't have to worry about rocks, pebbles or sand spots in the road which can cause a skinny road bike to loose traction.

As for the OP, if you haven't rode a bike in that many years, you need to build up your sit bones and muscles in your butt again. I haven't been on a bicycle in 15 years and the first time out my butt was so sore and so much pain due to my sit bones and muscles there not being used to being on a saddle.
Old 06-19-15, 08:49 AM
MZilliox

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
it takes a while to build up to comfort. i do ok up to 40 miles. rides of 40plus i wear cycling shorts. I found Sugoi brand shorts to be the nicest so far, smaller pads, better fit. on sale at sierra trading post now too. much nicer than the rei brand. the other big thing is saddle. i have tried 5 diff saddles now and want to keep trying. I have settled on brooks b17, the classic. tried brooks pro and one other brooks, and they were not quite right. I want to try brooks Cambium next, the c17. bit more narrow than b17, but not as narrow as the pro. folks seem to love that saddle.

so if you are serious about the bike, go hunting for a saddle. if you have a good bike shop they can help, if not, its musical saddles like me. also, on your saddle now, a slight tip up or down could help.
Old 06-19-15, 01:31 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Update: got an hour in this morning using the bike shorts and it was a definite improvement.
Good to hear ... and there is just simply some getting used to longer distances. The fitter you are and the more time you put into it, the more comfortable you'll be.
Old 06-21-15, 08:09 AM
MidLife50

Further Update: Just finished 1st 2hr+ ride. Really glad I had those bike shorts. Stood up on pedals a few times to stretch out and readjusted my position on the saddle a time or 2 but no significant butt soreness at all. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.