Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Ride Clean

Old 12-12-16, 08:38 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
lol
Old 12-12-16, 09:54 AM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One time I had a massive tailwind and took a 3.5 mile flat KOM at something like 30.4mph. I was pretty stoked.
Little did I know a teammate was about an hour behind me with a slightly more massive tailwind and took it from me at like 31mph.
Pretty sure I need to kneecap him the next time he's in town.
Old 12-14-16, 10:01 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
USADA bans Texas amateur Luton after investigating drug distribution website | Cyclingnews.com
Old 12-14-16, 10:04 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
The last line in that article feels completely incongruous to me.
Old 12-14-16, 12:35 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I lived in McKinney for several years and never heard of the guy.
Old 12-15-16, 09:11 AM
topflightpro

Uh oh, looks like Team Sky is under the microscope again: Cope: I don't know what was in the package for Team Sky | Cyclingnews.com
Old 12-15-16, 11:52 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Uh oh, looks like Team Sky is under the microscope again: Cope: I don't know what was in the package for Team Sky | Cyclingnews.com
did you see that froome said he is in the dark about all of this, like the rest of us?

no one ever seems to know anything.

"[the serial killer] was SUCH a nice guy -- always took care of his lawn."
Old 12-29-16, 06:42 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Why is LEGAL use of allowed UCI, WADA, USADA and USOC - "alcohol or tobacco other substances" something USA Cycling needs to regulate?

Note that both (i) and (k) can be legal - as they note in (k).

From USA Cycling 2017 CODE OF CONDUCT.
(i) Providing alcohol or tobacco or other substances to any participant under 21 years of age by any participant held accountable by this Code.
(k) Consumption of alcohol by an athlete under 21 years of age regardless of the legal drinking age established by the current state or country of tenancy.

Last edited by Doge; 12-29-16 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-29-16, 06:49 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
why is legal use of marijuana something USAC needs to regulate?
Old 12-29-16, 07:08 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by mike868y
why is legal use of marijuana something USAC needs to regulate?
Marijuana is not mentioned in the Code of Conduct other than by reference to the UCI, WADA, USADA or USOC (or I missed it).
Marijuana is not federally legal and USAC is a national (federal) organization.
Marijuana & Cannabinoids are on one of the lists of UCI, WADA, USADA or USOC ban it and USAC is referencing those documents/rules.
Feds do not ban tobacco or alcohol and the USAC Code of Conduct is against LEGAL - state and federal use.

Otherwise - I'd agree with you.

They could simply state that breaking a law is breaking the code-of-conduct.

Last edited by Doge; 12-30-16 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-30-16, 07:39 AM
topflightpro

I believe marijuana is a known masking agent.
Old 12-30-16, 07:54 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
believe and known?

hmmm
Old 12-30-16, 08:38 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by gsteinb
believe and known?

hmmm
I should rephrase, I have heard that it is a "known masking agent." The use of the word "believe" was intended to convey that I have not looked it up to confirm nor am I an expert on the subject. I do know one person who served a six-month ban for testing positive for marijuana, and I was told at the time that marijuana was a "known masking agent."
Old 12-30-16, 09:17 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I believe marijuana is a known masking agent.

For the people that I know the only thing it masks is not being hungry.
Old 12-30-16, 11:16 AM
Doge

I believe - and have posted the list/s should be tremendously reduced.
But here you have legal, non-banned, non-PED's, that USAC has decided based on age, or you can't race.

Giving a cigar to a classmate at a New Years party would be a violation of this code.
Old 12-30-16, 03:10 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I should rephrase, I have heard that it is a "known masking agent." The use of the word "believe" was intended to convey that I have not looked it up to confirm nor am I an expert on the subject. I do know one person who served a six-month ban for testing positive for marijuana, and I was told at the time that marijuana was a "known masking agent."
Really though this is simply some urban legend. There's nothing to support this particular perspective, which is repeated a fair bit.

From USADA

Why might marijuana and cannabinoids meet this criteria?

Performance-enhancement: A common perception of marijuana is that its use impairs physical activity, including exercise performance. While the effects of marijuana can decrease hand-eye coordination and distort spatial perception, there are other effects that can be performance enhancing for some athletes and sport disciplines. Cannabis can cause muscle relaxation and reduce pain during post-workout recovery. It can also decrease anxiety and tension, resulting in better sport performance under pressure. In addition, cannabis can increase focus and risk-taking behaviors, allowing athletes to forget bad falls or previous trauma in sport, and push themselves past those fears in competition.[1]

Actual or potential health risk: A number of studies show that marijuana use may cause a variety of health risks. These risks include negative effects on respiratory, cardiac, and mental health. Frequent marijuana smokers can experience respiratory problems including more frequent acute chest illness and a heightened risk of lung infections. Marijuana use raises the heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking which can increase the risk of heart attack. Chronic marijuana use has also been linked to mental illness including paranoia and psychosis.[2]

Violation of the spirit of sport: Negative values and ethics included in sport, and beyond sport, are considered in this criteria. Due to the illegal nature of marijuana in most countries, the use or abuse of marijuana does not exhibit the ethics and moral judgment that upholds the spirit of sport.[1]
Old 12-30-16, 03:12 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Doge
I believe - and have posted the list/s should be tremendously reduced.
But here you have legal, non-banned, non-PED's, that USAC has decided based on age, or you can't race.

Giving a cigar to a classmate at a New Years party would be a violation of this code.
Any chance at all you might discuss your own cycling at some point and leave the helicoptering to the air force academy?
Old 12-31-16, 09:59 AM
Doge

Any chance at all you might discuss your own cycling at some point and leave the helicoptering to the air force academy?
The part where I sit on the bike is not racing, therefore I don't discuss it.
My own cycling is about others I continue to help racing, obviously my kid, but not just my kid (Master registration today - Code of Conduct <21 are not issues for them). I updated my profile, but I doubt nothing is new there for you.

If you have a suggestion where somebody might go to discuss all aspects of racing for the purposes of "their" racers going faster, I would like to have it.

Last edited by Doge; 04-01-17 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-31-16, 11:19 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Not much has changed around here. If you spent even a marginal amount of time trying to convey your points you might invite less confusion. I don't know what you're talking about. You 'have' racers? Masters registration is today? Mincing words around the implications or enforceability of a teammate giving another teammate a cigar at a new year's party is helping someone?

As has said before, argue your pets issues with USAC or USADA. They're not particularly applicable here (your kid isn't even a junior anymore). Not only have folks almost universally said they disagree with your perspectives on such things, you cut such a narrow swath of applicability it's only apparent contribution here is as debate points. I don't care much to debate for the sake of debating. That said, I have 9 or so posts and I'm quitting the board at at even 20K like I said 10 thousand posts or so ago.

Last edited by gsteinb; 12-31-16 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-31-16, 11:53 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i'm quitting the board at at even 20k like i said 10 thousand posts or so ago.

gbcw
Old 12-31-16, 05:21 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Not trying to push gsteinb to quit but I had an interesting experience the other day. Went (indoor) karting. There are two kart types for adults, a 6.5 hp and a 9 hp. Do some decent times in the 6.5 and you qualify to drive the 9 hp. I qualified a different night (and signed up for the pro kart club etc) but didn't try the 9 hp karts until the other night.

Keep in mind I have maybe 30 heats, maybe 250-270 minutes of running, in the 6.5 hp karts. Heats are 8 or 10 minutes, depending on the day, I don't remember the breakdown of 8 min vs 10 min heats. In other words I'm a newbie in karts.

Got together with some car guys, 5 of them are 9 hp kart qualified, so we decided to do our last 2 heats in the 9 hp karts. First time for me in a 9 hp kart.

About 10 seconds after I got going in the 9 hp kart my first thought was, "This is what doping must be like." There were six of us in the 9 hp karts (one interloper who was a super duper regular, older guy, sort of like a real good M55 rider showing up on a group ride), I think 10 in regular karts.

We were blasting past the regular karts, it was just ridiculous. I was about 4 seconds faster per lap, 10% reduction in time, and generally speaking my laps were almost always interrupted by slower karts. Also I didn't know the 9 hp karts well so I was still improving during the second heat.

I had to relearn how to take a bunch of corners because now I was hitting them above the 9 hp kart's limits, instead of going full throttle through them with absolutely no sliding in the 6.5 hp karts. Really what was happening is that the 6.5 hp karts couldn't outdrive the tires except in a sharp turn or two but the 9 hp karts could overcome the tires regularly even in sweeper type corners.

I realized that as much as I considered the 6.5 hp karts challenging, now I really only want to drive the 9 hp karts. They're really fun, I'm at the beginning of the learning curve relative to driving them, and they expose the driver to heavier g-force.

I can see how a rider, having tried doping, could be tempted to dope more and more.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 12-31-16, 06:01 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Not much has changed around here. If you spent even a marginal amount of time trying to convey your points you might invite less confusion. I don't know what you're talking about. You 'have' racers? Masters registration is today? Mincing words around the implications or enforceability of a teammate giving another teammate a cigar at a new year's party is helping someone?

As has said before, argue your pets issues with USAC or USADA. They're not particularly applicable here (your kid isn't even a junior anymore). Not only have folks almost universally said they disagree with your perspectives on such things, you cut such a narrow swath of applicability it's only apparent contribution here is as debate points. I don't care much to debate for the sake of debating. That said, I have 9 or so posts and I'm quitting the board at at even 20K like I said 10 thousand posts or so ago.
Without @Doge, this place would be boring af.

my race videos
Old 12-31-16, 06:25 PM
Doge

... You 'have' racers? Masters registration is today?...
As you don't want to debate and have only 9 posts left, I'll just address a few points.
I 'have' - means I currently help out some racers - a few, across the spectrum of classes - today I'm helping a master. I don't have the rights to name them or talk about them as I do my own kid.

Daniel not being a junior is a fact. But USAC made me sign his race waivers 3 month ago. I expect to assist him in racing as the other parents of U23s assist their kids. It is pretty normal from what I've seen.

I know USAC impact on policy here is small to nothing. I do write them - and did on this issue. I help them out at events with clerical things and I know them and some know me. I find USAC very responsive to my comments and they do change things.

I post here for several reasons. For fun, to test ideas, to get ideas and to help others. I will miss you when you are gone.

Last edited by Doge; 12-31-16 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-31-16, 08:18 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by mattm
Without @Doge, this place would be boring af.
I don't think there was even a modicum of a suggestion that he shouldn't post, merely that if he was a bit clearer folks might follow along better. I know I would.
Old 01-01-17, 08:27 AM
topflightpro

I don't think there was even a modicum of a suggestion that he shouldn't post, merely that if he was a bit clearer folks might follow along better. I know I would.
Agreed. Half of his posts are completely unintelligible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.