Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

First Love

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-17, 08:24 AM
oldschool56

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Love

What was your first bicycle? How old were you when you got it? Mine was a 63' red road master sky rider deluxe. I was seven. My dad "custom fitted" it to me by attaching wooden blocks to the pedals. I remember a couple of years later turning the bars upside down and having drops. I wrapped them with medical tape. Born to ride!
Old 05-05-17, 02:56 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
All I remember is a red bike I got for Christmas when I was 5 y/o. My next bike my mother bought for me when I was ~9 y/o. Even though I walked everywhere (we didn't have a car) my mother thought I needed more exercise so bought me something like this. I hated it!!!

The first bike I remember was the Schwinn LeTour I bought new in 1985.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-05-17, 04:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Green Sting Ray, when I was 12. Same metallic green finish as the Impala that year (1969) which, coincidentally, I later owned as an adult. Same cream colored vinyl on the banana saddle and Impala's vinyl roof too. Odd coincidences.

Alas, the riding experience didn't live up to expectations. A single speed with poor ergonomics that defied standing on the pedals wasn't much fun beyond our flat neighborhood. And after a nut-crushing crash riding my little brother around I lost my enthusiasm for that bike. Turns out I couldn't bunny hop a curb with that extra 50 or so pounds on the back.

First bike I actually liked was my second, a Schwinn English style 3-speed. Wouldn't mind having something similar now, though I'd prefer a Nexus 8-speed, lighter aluminum frame and albatross bars.
Old 05-05-17, 05:21 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i was too young to remember getting my very first few bikes. but i clearly remember saving up for a metallic plum colored Schwinn Collegiate, dérailleur equipped
5-speed in about '62. i was still in grade school at the time,

i recall that my friend had the gold IGH 3-speed version and feeling disappointed that my high gear was not as high as his.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 05-05-17 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-05-17, 05:32 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
When I got tall enough, I rode the old family balloon tired something or other. Took me on many journeys outside the neighborhood and beyond. I learned to be content on the road by myself 'just riding'. And made a paper route possible when fitted with huge front rack.
Old 05-05-17, 05:50 PM
Crawdaddy

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
All I remember is a red bike I got for Christmas when I was 5 y/o. My next bike my mother bought for me when I was ~9 y/o. Even though I walked everywhere (we didn't have a car) my mother thought I needed more exercise so bought me something like this. I hated it!!!
First new bike I got was one like that but a Huffy. My Dad bought only because I got a paper route at age 13 and HAD A JOB! Before that handme downs from my older brothers so none stand out.
Old 05-05-17, 09:11 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I barely remember my first bike, but I do remember the day I learned to ride it without training wheels. I have a picture but I still don't remember the actual bike. It was early 90's, maybe around 93 or so. It was most likely from Sears or the like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
z.jpg (32.2 KB, 101 views)
Old 05-05-17, 09:39 PM
Nature666

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was at my primary school, my home is far way from schook, so my bad bought me a bike, it's a very expensive and famous brand bike at that time, it costs my father's one month salary. LOVE MY DAD!
Old 05-05-17, 09:51 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardrock23
I barely remember my first bike, but I do remember the day I learned to ride it without training wheels.
I remember that as well. Don't remember the bike I was riding, but I remember cruising up the driveway completely under my own power. What a thrill. But a brief one as we hadn't covered the stopping part and the ride ended in a collision with the garage door.

But there was no harm done and once you've got it, you've got it. I knew how to ride.

First bike I really remember was a second hand stingray with the spring shock on the front. Painted rattle can gold.
Old 05-05-17, 10:25 PM
AzDzrtRat

Bikes: Nashbar 105 Road, 1997 Cannondale CAAD3 R900

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The early bikes I can't really remember well. When I was about 9 my dad bought one of the Stingray bicycles in purple. Pretty much the same experience as the above poster. The seat posts broke several times and it ended up abandoned in the garage.
Old 05-05-17, 10:26 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I remember that as well. Don't remember the bike I was riding, but I remember cruising up the driveway completely under my own power. What a thrill. But a brief one as we hadn't covered the stopping part and the ride ended in a collision with the garage door.

But there was no harm done and once you've got it, you've got it. I knew how to ride.

First bike I really remember was a second hand stingray with the spring shock on the front. Painted rattle can gold.

Oh no lol. But yes, what a thrill!

Thankfully I knew how to brake already but thinking back on it now, my father could have started me off up the court, rather than down the court towards the main road...just in case. I'm living in the same place again so I'll need to keep this all in mind as we (hopefully) ditch the training wheels this summer on my sons bike!
Old 05-06-17, 10:20 AM
Bike Life

Bikes: 1989 Trek 950 MTB, 1991 Schwinn Crosscut, 2015 Trek 520,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a small (20 in wheel?) Western Flyer when I was small then got a 26 in wheel Schwinn Typhoon when I was 10 and I rode that for 3 or 4 years. Never had another bike till I was 38.
Old 05-06-17, 11:33 AM
cookingjnj

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Candy Apple Red and white vinyl banana seat Sting-Ray. Don't recall the year, but probably '70 or '71. Canklecat above describes his as a single speed, I recall mine being a 5 speed with the car like shifter located on the top tube.
Old 05-06-17, 11:40 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
My parents bought me a green 3 speed robin hood when I was 8 or so. I rode that bike everywhere in 3d, 4th, and 5th grades. I don't have that bike but I did pick up a black 3 speed robin hood from 1969 recently. It brings back great memories.
Old 05-06-17, 12:52 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
I come from a large family and there weren't many bikes. When I was 7-8 yrs old, my mom saved plaid stamps from A&P for a year to trade in for a bicycle for me. I think it was 36 books worth. When I think of how much she needed and what she could have gotten instead its pretty touching. I guess what she needed most was to have a happy kid.
Old 05-06-17, 05:25 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think my first bike was the one I learned how to ride sans training wheels. I must have been 10? I think it had a banana seat, definately a coaster brake. I think dad found it at the dump. Later it snapped the frame, he tried a quick braze job but it was toast. I forget if the next bike was a Shimano 3 speed, or a Huffy, they all blend together, and none stand out. Although I must have liked that 333 hub enough as today I have a fondness for SA AW's.
Old 05-06-17, 07:32 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
My folks got me a bike for my birthday in 1960, a red beast from the local western auto. It was a little too big, but I grew into it pretty quickly. Rode it all over. Felt like I had been given a set of wings, wings of wheels.
Old 05-06-17, 07:44 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Green Sting Ray, when I was 12. Same metallic green finish as the Impala that year (1969) which, coincidentally, I later owned as an adult. Same cream colored vinyl on the banana saddle and Impala's vinyl roof too. Odd coincidences.

Alas, the riding experience didn't live up to expectations. A single speed with poor ergonomics that defied standing on the pedals wasn't much fun beyond our flat neighborhood. And after a nut-crushing crash riding my little brother around I lost my enthusiasm for that bike. Turns out I couldn't bunny hop a curb with that extra 50 or so pounds on the back.

First bike I actually liked was my second, a Schwinn English style 3-speed. Wouldn't mind having something similar now, though I'd prefer a Nexus 8-speed, lighter aluminum frame and albatross bars.
Hey cankelcat how long did it take you to decide to write banana saddle as opposed to banana seat, just don't sound right ,you're feeling the pressure ain't ya,,,,
Old 05-06-17, 07:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
Hey cankelcat how long did it take you to decide to write banana saddle as opposed to banana seat, just don't sound right ,you're feeling the pressure ain't ya,,,,
LOL! I knew someone was gonna catch that!
Old 05-07-17, 12:55 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
[QUOTE=canklecat;19565262]LOL! I knew someone was gonna catch that! [/QUbyOTE]

LOL you know I was just joking,,,, sometimes if you don't use the right cycle speak around here they'll tear you up,,,,,
Old 05-07-17, 03:22 PM
stpetebeach

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont remember riding a bike before mid school, the one i do remember was on my 16th bday 93 My family all chipped in and bought me a BMW bike, Dyno VFR. We had 3-4 BMW tracks in area so i road it alot. Just now riding a bike after alot of years lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dynovfr.jpg (98.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-07-17, 07:48 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Mine was a Team Murray BMX from around '79-80, I would have been 7 or 8. Chrome with blue accents. Rode it for 3-4 years, absolutely no idea what happened to it after. That was followed by a Univega Alpina Sport in '83 or so, rode it pretty much every day until it got stolen from outside the hobby shop in (I want to say) '87.