Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I'd like to take the show on the road

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-17, 09:05 AM
Estacado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently ride a Jamis Durango mtb. It has been a wonderful bike in my quest to lose weight. I have discovered I can go faster with a "road bike". So, the hunt begins. The specifics are: 67 years of age, 6'2"/215lbs. Budget $1000.

Before any say I can buy a used bike much cheaper, there are few if any nice bikes showing up on craigslist here. Mostly Huffys and department store bikes. I have been looking for a month.

It seems that the bikes in my price range are aluminum. No problem with that. Almost all are aluminum frame/carbon fork. Mostly Sora groupset. There is currently a bike on sell for $800 that really catches my eye. It is a Diamondback Century 1. It has the 105 group, has 28c tires, and a more upright riding position. The big question. It has an aluminum fork. To you experienced riders, is that a deal breaker? If so, what would you recommend?

Yes, I went to my local bike store. (70 miles) The salesman there had very little knowledge of the product he was selling. He became agitated at my many questions. I left there extremely frustrated. I have pretty much decided it will be an "online" purchase for me. I do appreciate your advice.
Old 10-29-17, 09:25 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Al fork will be harsh. CF takes vibrations better.
Especially on a road bike with the tiny tires that will be important.
Old 10-29-17, 10:18 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
https://www.diamondback.com/century-34937#bike_specs

Not bad looking. Discs are nice. 22 lbs is a little on the heavy side for modern road bikes, but not outlandish.

I am a bit surprised by the aluminum fork, but that is a tough price point the bike is at with 11 speed 105 and discs.

I have a bonded aluminum fork on one of my winter road bike. It is just fine, and has been taking a fair amount of abuse. It is a bit harsh up front, but I am riding a lot harsher tires. Those 28s should be quite cushy.

$800 isn't a bad starting price point. With some patience, good used bikes will show up. Often with 10s gearing and rim brakes. 60cm?
Old 10-29-17, 10:31 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Estacado
I currently ride a Jamis Durango mtb. It has been a wonderful bike in my quest to lose weight. I have discovered I can go faster with a "road bike". So, the hunt begins. The specifics are: 67 years of age, 6'2"/215lbs. Budget $1000.

Before any say I can buy a used bike much cheaper, there are few if any nice bikes showing up on craigslist here. Mostly Huffys and department store bikes. I have been looking for a month.

It seems that the bikes in my price range are aluminum. No problem with that. Almost all are aluminum frame/carbon fork. Mostly Sora groupset. There is currently a bike on sell for $800 that really catches my eye. It is a Diamondback Century 1. It has the 105 group, has 28c tires, and a more upright riding position. The big question. It has an aluminum fork. To you experienced riders, is that a deal breaker? If so, what would you recommend?

Yes, I went to my local bike store. (70 miles) The salesman there had very little knowledge of the product he was selling. He became agitated at my many questions. I left there extremely frustrated. I have pretty much decided it will be an "online" purchase for me. I do appreciate your advice.
Hey Estacado, welcome to BF!

Without further ado, your best bang for the buck is right here, delivered to your doorstep for free!

Save Up To 60% Off Shimano Carbon Road Bikes- Motobecane Sprint CF Carbon

You'll ride like the wind with this baby! I've purchased bikes through Bikes Direct and they are honest and reliable. Worthy of my business.
Old 10-29-17, 11:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What kind of show you taking on the road? Puppet show? musical act, you tour by bike between gigs? it has been done ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-29-17 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-29-17, 01:48 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Easy!

Jamis Quest Comp. What's not to love? Steel frame, carbon fork, Sora 9spd. Under a grand.

questcomp

-Kedosto
Old 10-29-17, 02:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Except if they got no Jamis brand bike dealer for 300 miles..
Old 10-29-17, 02:36 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Alu forks are not harsh at all IME. My own road bike has one and I'm actually quite fond if it.
Old 10-29-17, 05:59 PM
Estacado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the responses. I am studying each and every recommendation. I have a tendency to over research. At least it keeps me out of the pool halls!

There is a fella on eBay selling new 2016 Scott Speedster 30's well worth the money. Aluminum bike/carbon fork with mainly Tiagra components. I am not sure if the geometry is relaxed enough for me.

Last edited by Estacado; 10-29-17 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-29-17, 06:05 PM
oldschool56

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please take a look at the Trek 1.2. Aluminum frame. carbon fork, Sora 9 spd. I've put a little over 4000 miles on mine and am quite happy. I did upgrade the brake pads which made a huge improvement and went from 23's to 25's. I'm 61, 5'10" at 214 lbs. The bike sells for $895.00.
Old 10-29-17, 06:05 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Remember, forks are replaceable.
Old 10-30-17, 12:55 PM
IRideCantitoeRd

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Estacado

Lol, I'm 5'9" and weigh 215lbs and I work for a bicycle company! Everyday is a reminder I'm da fatty of the group
Old 10-30-17, 03:03 PM
Estacado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IRideCantitoeRd
Lol, I'm 5'9" and weigh 215lbs and I work for a bicycle company! Everyday is a reminder I'm da fatty of the group

I decided to lose weight back in March. I weighed 258#.
Old 10-31-17, 04:08 PM
hcgaloi

Bikes: Spcialized RockHopper (free) 1992 Trek T100 Tandem ($220) 2006 Quintana Roo Seduza ($350) 2016 Giant Fastroad ($1100)

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've recently started cycling for fitness. After purchasing 8 different new and used bikes without any luck. So I decided to build one myself starting with a frame set.

In April, I got a good deal on a 2011 Colnago CX-1 Evo frameset. Then, I spent over two months buying a Dura Ace 9100 mechanical groupset piece-by-piece from various online stores in Europe (ProBikeKit, Merlin Cycles, RibbleCycles, etc.). I was waiting for at least %40 sale and 10%-15% promo codes, and if I could, I waited for the dollar to get strong to take advantage of exchange rates, before I made a purchase. In the end, the groupset cost ~$950, and the whole bike cost ~$1200.

Since you have a small budget, you may want to look into Ultegra or 105 groupset. However, you may want to look for a frameset first.

Good luck
Old 10-31-17, 06:46 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I'm glad I saw this. I had an e-mail from my company's corporate discount program and it was for special deals on bikes. I was drawn to the Diamondback Century 1 as well for $799. They made it look like it was a special deal (33% off). If that price is available to everyone, there's no reason for me to jump at this. I don't need a new bike and I'm not really an experienced enough cyclist to need something like this. I'll keep riding my husband's cast-off Trek hybrid. I can't quite keep up with him on his speedier road bike (Vintage Fuji) but I can keep riding longer than he can because mine is more comfortable.
Old 11-01-17, 07:04 AM
Estacado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hcgaloi
I've recently started cycling for fitness. After purchasing 8 different new and used bikes without any luck. So I decided to build one myself starting with a frame set.

In April, I got a good deal on a 2011 Colnago CX-1 Evo frameset. Then, I spent over two months buying a Dura Ace 9100 mechanical groupset piece-by-piece from various online stores in Europe (ProBikeKit, Merlin Cycles, RibbleCycles, etc.). I was waiting for at least %40 sale and 10%-15% promo codes, and if I could, I waited for the dollar to get strong to take advantage of exchange rates, before I made a purchase. In the end, the groupset cost ~$950, and the whole bike cost ~$1200.

Since you have a small budget, you may want to look into Ultegra or 105 groupset. However, you may want to look for a frameset first.

Good luck

A tip of my hat to you. I would not feel comfortable building up a bike right now. I am still looking. This is a one time shot so I want to get the most bike for the money. Whatever I buy, I will ride till the wheels fall off. Someone has mentioned that there would possibly be better deals the deeper we get into winter. Do you or don't you?