Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

You're too low to be seen.

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 05:01 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts

I've come to the conclusion that recumbent trikes are safer than conventional bikes.

The people texting on their cell phones are the ones I fear most. I'm thinking they keep enough look out to see me enough to wonder what I am. A conventional bicyclist registers as a bicycle so they go back to their keyboard.

If I'm wrong, by the time I find out it will be too late for me. You, however, may benefit from my experience if you notice I have suddenly stopped posting.
Old 01-09-18, 05:10 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Safer from a 'fall over' perspective, but certainly not from an incident with a car one. I sold mine after repeated issues with drivers in my rolling hilly area. Given thought that your head is right where the bumper is, it makes even a minor collision deadly. No thanks.

I hope to live in an area where I can feel safe riding one again, because I really enjoyed and miss mine for the ride.
Old 01-09-18, 05:58 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Today was a dreary and slightly foggy day. I generally don't worry about my lowness, but I did opt for an upright with lights and a bright yellow coat instead of my VTX.

Old 01-10-18, 10:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I totally agree. As I have stated many times when riding on streets, I get a much wider berth than when im riding my bike.
Old 01-10-18, 04:58 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by rydabent
I totally agree. As I have stated many times when riding on streets, I get a much wider berth than when im riding my bike.
I think this is generally true.

Old 01-11-18, 09:12 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,403 Times in 2,744 Posts
more https://www.bikeforums.net/recumbent...e-too-low.html
Old 01-12-18, 11:34 AM
rydabent
Banned

Actually I think the "too low to be seen" is a totally bogus argument. No one, that is no one drives over a dead skunk in the road. Well--------------that is except a teen texting on their smart phone. So--------------my point is even the the lowest super speed laid back trike is taller than a dead skunk.
Old 01-12-18, 02:55 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,012 Posts
Actually I think the "too low to be seen" is a totally bogus argument. No one, that is no one drives over a dead skunk in the road. Well--------------that is except a teen texting on their smart phone. So--------------my point is even the the lowest super speed laid back trike is taller than a dead skunk.
How many cyclists get run over while they are stopped in the middle of a road like dead skunk?

Bikes generally are hit by crossing or turning traffic.

Recumbents are certainly harder to see and have poorer visibility for the rider than an upright bicycle. I don't know if hitting bumper with your head is worse than hitting a windshield. You make your choice and take your chances.
Old 01-13-18, 08:52 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
Actually I think the "too low to be seen" is a totally bogus argument.
Why then all the flags, I wonder?
Old 01-14-18, 08:46 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I use a flag primarily to keep busy bodies from telling me I need a flag.
Old 01-14-18, 11:42 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I find that lane positioning is much more important than height. Drivers don't see bikes all the time, no matter how tall they are. They don't see them because bikes and their riders blend into the background and get processed out, like bushes, trees, and sign posts. Ridden at the edge of the road, bikes - any bikes - become invisible. And when out in the lane, regardless of height, they aren't.

My personal statistics are night-and-day: hit many times on my upright including once when I was standing in the crosswalk waiting for a red light. For the bents, only one left hook where the driver was turning blindly in front of a motor home that was in the left lane. That doesn't 'prove' bents are more visible, but it implies they aren't any worse. I now run with a flasher in back, even in the daytime, on the theory that any bike becomes invisible when riding from bright sun into a patch of deep shade. I believe that the biggest impact flags have is to make the owners *think* they're more visible.
Old 01-14-18, 01:25 PM
Steamer

For my two bents that are not high, IMO, flags do have some points of utility, but increased visibility from the rear is not the big one. I think the benefits are:

1. As already stated, having a flag keeps busy-bodies from stopping and telling you to get a flag. This is the primary function for me.
2. If you are near the crest of a hill (either side of it), sometimes your flag is visible before you and your bike/trike are to traffic on that same road.
3. If you are riding along a roadside linear mound or hedge, your flag may be visible to those approaching your road from side streets when you and your bike/trike are not.
4. If you ride in moderate to heavy traffic, queuing at stop signs / stop lights, etc, sometimes your flag is visible when you and your bike/trike are concealed by the car's hood.

3 and 4 rarely apply to my own personal riding conditions, but sometimes 2 does. And 1 defintely does. So I usually use one, but only on my trike, and sometimes on my midracer (sometimes). I don't bother on my high racers. Never even occurred to me to use one on those. I am higher than some cars on the high racers.
Old 01-14-18, 05:28 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by Steamer
I use a flag primarily to keep busy bodies from telling me I need a flag.
Exactly.

Old 01-15-18, 12:13 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
'Get a flag' must be a trike thing. Or, is it a regional thing?
Can't recall being told that while riding 'bent bikes.
Old 01-15-18, 12:41 PM
Steamer

Originally Posted by JanMM
Because you are not all that low on one of your bent bikes?

I have only been yelled at when riding my trike or a semi-low bike like my now departed Musashi.
Old 01-15-18, 07:32 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Because you are not all that low on one of your bent bikes?

I have only been yelled at when riding my trike or a semi-low bike like my now departed Musashi.
Yeah, probably mostly applies to way-down-low trikes or low racer bikes. As opposed to my lower-than-a-DF bikes.
Old 01-16-18, 05:24 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by tcs
Mainly for legal protection. If involved in an accident the car driver's lawyer will claim you are partly at fault if you didnt have a flag or wear a helmet
Old 01-17-18, 02:59 PM
Retro Grouch 

Mainly for legal protection. If involved in an accident the car driver's lawyer will claim you are partly at fault if you didnt have a flag or wear a helmet
Why, of course they will if it comes to that. In a comparative negligence state lawyers will be looking for anything to claim as partial negligence in order to reduce the size of the award. Of course, there will be (or should be) an attorney on the other side to argue otherwise. I don't think they can claim that because some riders choose to display a flashing light in the daylight or wear some distinctive clothing like, for example, a clown suit that all riders must also either do so or be held partially negligent.
Old 01-19-18, 04:53 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Usually, when I hear of a 'suggestion' to get a flag, it's by a motorist, given in a passive-agressive manner. As in, "Now that I've warned you to get a flag, ALL of the responsibility of avoiding an accident with me next time, will be yours."
Old 01-19-18, 06:33 PM
Steamer

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Usually, when I hear of a 'suggestion' to get a flag, it's by a motorist, given in a passive-agressive manner. As in, "Now that I've warned you to get a flag, ALL of the responsibility of avoiding an accident with me next time, will be yours."
Absolutely. I have never heard it sound any other way. Tone tells all.
Old 01-20-18, 01:28 PM
Retro Grouch 

The only time I've been told to get a flag was by a woman (DF) cyclist while on a bike path ride. She took a real long time to tell me how important it was. A real long time.

Most of the time when I'm riding on roads I use a spinner flag. Without exception all of the comments I've gotten from motorists have been complimentary. I've had a couple of (DF) bike riders who have commented about how much my flag pole is bent and how that much drag must really be slowing me down. One of them took a long time to tell me that too. I wish it would have slowed me down enough for him to ride on by so I didn't have to listen to him.
Old 01-20-18, 04:49 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by JanMM
I first heard it numerous times when riding lowracers.

Old 01-22-18, 11:26 AM
RL7836

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I believe that the biggest impact flags have is to make the owners *think* they're more visible.
Agree. I once rode behind my wife & her friend for 20-30 minutes. It wasn't until I passed them that I even noticed that her friend had a flag. Their construction/design makes them a really poor option if you want to increase visibility from the rear
Yup - I had a lady hang way out of her window to scream "Get a flag!" as loud as she could just as she was passing. Very pleasant interaction. Not.
Old 01-22-18, 02:22 PM
HenryL
HenryL

Bikes: Raleigh Militus, Custom Steel road bike manufactured by Steve Willis of The Bike Stand, Raleigh Rush Hour. Windcheetah recumbent trike, Actionbent SWB recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time out in a while on my windcheetah. Can't ride a road bike due to shoulder surgery recovery. Rode in a group, several mentioned I should have a flag. My response was the first time they were smacked in the face with it during group ride would change their mind. During a solo ride someone when out of there way to point out sans flag I could not be seen. Individual did not appreciate my response "you saw me". Just part of the recumbent experience.
Old 01-22-18, 08:27 PM
BlazingPedals

Upright riders' common method of checking to the side before doing something stupid is to do a 'shoulder check.' That is, they quickly look for something next to them at shoulder height. Of course that won't detect a bent rider, or even a short upright rider. Then they complain that car drivers don't see bikes because they're only watching out for other cars. They should follow their own advice and watch for all road users, but especially if they know there's a bent in the group.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.