Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Help for new rider

Old 08-01-18, 04:32 PM
zoe68

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help for new rider

Hi all! I'm looking for some guidance on finding a bike that will work for me. A little background, it has been years since I rode a bike, I'm talking 30 years probably and I'm about 320 lbs. My son is 13, has autism and just this week learned how to ride a bike without training wheels (talk about a huge smile for him and a few tears for mom). He asked if I'd get a bike so I can ride with him so I'm on the search for one that won't bankrupt me, one that is easy and comfortable to ride and will last. We would mainly be riding on easy flat bike trails because I think that's all either of us could handle.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Old 08-01-18, 05:59 PM
PhoenixBiker 

Bikes: 2001 Waterford RST-22, 2002 Gunnar Sport, 1999 Trek 520 gravel grinder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Look around for a used mountain bike. The most important thing is to find a bike that has a frame that will fit you. If there's a full-service bike shop near you, get advice from someone on the staff as to which frame size(s) would be appropriate for you. The reason I suggested a mountain bike: It has frame plenty strong enough for someone your size, its tires are big and tough enough to keep you from getting pinch flats, and the gearing is low enough to allow you to pedal comfortably. By the way, I've been where you are. My son, who also is autistic, learned to ride a bike a few years back. It's a heck of a feeling to see him pedaling along.
Old 08-01-18, 10:42 PM
SunDog70

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.3; 1992 Schwinn Hurricane MTB; 2018 Trek Domane AL 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats to you both for hitting some milestones! I don't normally recommend mountain bikes, but agree with the above that for the purpose you describe that could work well for you. Or a hybrid, used or lower end depending on what your budget is. My one primary suggestion is avoid a bike from a department store, just bad experiences with them, but you may very well be able to get a nice used one from a local bike shop and can also feel secure that a professional either assembled it or tuned it up. Plus heading into late summer/early fall you may find some nice bargains. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
Old 08-02-18, 09:57 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I think my limited sphere of knowledge would tend me to agree with the above.. a trade in from a local bike shop (LBS) would be just the ticket. Even if you don't find anything that turns your crank, so to speak, it would give you a good idea of what you are looking for, should you choose to Craigslist something.
A mountain bike would be a lot more durable, and will smooth out shall we say, "irregularities in the riding surface" until you get used to being on a bike. Then if you so choose, you can probably trade it back in for something better.

And a word about Craigslist bikes.. there is an absolute GLUT of WalMart bikes cluttering the pages, but if you put a minumum price over $150 in your search, that should weed out the riff-raff. Also, don't be afraid to walk away. Choose one only if it's a cream puff.

But a trip to the LBS would be very much worthwhile to get an idea on frame size, equipment desired, hybrid vs full suspension, etc.
PLUS.. a working relationship with a GOOD LBS is a GREAT friend to have when you need something on an emergency basis at 3:00pm on a Saturday.

Last edited by JLDickmon; 08-02-18 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-02-18, 04:19 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
Congrats! I hope you and your son get to have many great adventures on your bikes!

I also concur with the advice to get a used mtb. 2nd hand from a LBS is fine, or check if there is a bike co-op in your area.

I would lean towards the Craigslist option though. Tons of great deals on there. Some will be ready to ride, some will need some tuning, which either we can help you figure out to do if you're so inclined, or a shop could do.

Do you have a rough idea of your budget? 100? 300? 500? 1000? Check your local craigslist, drop a few links here that look maybe interesting to you, because we love to look at pictures of bikes and give opinions about them!
Old 08-03-18, 09:02 AM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MTB's are good; but you might want to steer away from rear suspension (hard core, skip the front ;>). On the plus side, it's nice not to feel the potholes so much. On the downside, it's where inadequate maintenance may have created a hazard (mostly unplanned expense).

I'm rather fond of early 2000 vintage Gary Fisher (front suspension), myself. But anything that feels good to ride will probably suffice. Budget for a wheel rebuild or two, the factory rims and spokes *might* not be up to it.

Frames, unless you take a lot of flying leaps off jumps or curbs, usually do fine.

If you want to integrate the bicycling into your errands, you might consider a cargo bike. But I'd start solo, add a old trailer before spending a lot more money....unless you want to dive in (I got rid of my car a couple of years back), get a cargo ebike.

The most important thing is to figure out what works for you, in that you ride a lot. The more the better.