Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

California fires now added as argument against bike lanes etc.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

California fires now added as argument against bike lanes etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-18, 03:35 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
And if Sparks from the power grid started them,?
Ban Overhead electric power lines?
I wonder if this can be done for the high voltage long distance transmission lines... can they be easily buried with their need for many layers of insulators?

Local lines, at lower voltages pose few problems, and I note that this IS being done in many residential areas.
Old 11-23-18, 07:19 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
There's always talk of burying local lines here after a hurricane outage. But the cost is too prohibitive.
Old 11-23-18, 08:24 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
It doesn't matter what type of situation happens.

When people panic, all bets are off.

I find its best to to analyze all of the potential hazards, (especially fire) in any crowded place.

If you live a in a fire prone area, it would be wise to reconsider if your escape options are severely limited.
Old 11-23-18, 08:32 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by jon c.
There's always talk of burying local lines here after a hurricane outage. But the cost is too prohibitive.
They just did this near where I live, it took them less than a month.

No idea what the cost was, it was timed perfectly for the arrival of Xi Jinping.
Old 11-24-18, 04:16 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
.... compared to the cost of burning a tenth of the state,that is.
Old 11-24-18, 03:04 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
You'r a little pessimistic with your figures. Cal fire figures show about 900,000 acres burned this year out of a total state area of 100 million. That's less than 1%. Still a significant number though. I wonder how that compares with the number of acres paved in the state. Couldn't find that. I'll leave it as an exercise.
Old 11-24-18, 05:11 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Explain road diet. I dont talk californiaese. does that mean taking a whole lane for bikes, or narrowing lanes for a bike lane?
Old 11-24-18, 09:10 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by rydabent
Explain road diet. I dont talk californiaese. does that mean taking a whole lane for bikes, or narrowing lanes for a bike lane?
I'll take a guess that it means narrowing the roads, or the traffic lane(s) available to motorists.

In some places, it can increase safety by reducing speeds.

Its becoming obvious that the age of the traditional petrol powered automotive industry is at or near its peak.

Downsizing is not going to be an alternative lifestyle choice anymore it seems
Old 11-25-18, 10:35 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Usually it refers to the REMOVAL of one travel lane for cars, the widening of the remaining lane(s) for cars, and the addition of a striped or separated bike lane.

Sometimes this is simply a striped bike lane between moving cars and parked cars, but other communities prefer the bike lane against the curb, parked cars to the cyclist left, then moving cars beyond the parked cars. This make sense in several ways - it provides a barrier of parked cars between moving cars and cyclists and reduces the likelihood of a pedestrian popping out from between parked cars into the bike lane. Winning the door prize is still an issue but often road diets allow for a buffer zone between the parked cars and cyclists against the curb. Dooring incidents should decrease anyway because EVERY car has a driver, but not every car has passengers. Fewer people throwing doors open on the curb side means less doorings. Obviously, the cyclist should still assume the door will open at the worst time.
Old 11-25-18, 05:39 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
...but other communities prefer the bike lane against the curb, parked cars to the cyclist left, then moving cars beyond the parked cars.

This make sense in several ways - it provides a barrier of parked cars between moving cars and cyclists and reduces the likelihood of a pedestrian popping out from between parked cars into the bike lane.

Winning the door prize is still an issue but often road diets allow for a buffer zone between the parked cars and cyclists against the curb. Dooring incidents should decrease anyway because EVERY car has a driver, but not every car has passengers. Fewer people throwing doors open on the curb side means less doorings.

Obviously, the cyclist should still assume the door will open at the worst time.
Nicely stated, @JoeyBike. I perenially post about Safety Aphorisms I keep in mind as I approach various situations where an unseen danger may lurk. For stopped (not just parked) cars, it’s “Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side.

These bike lanes to the right of parked cars seem to be a relatively new innovation in Boston, but I articulated my aphorism when filtering or bypassing cars stopped at an intersection.
Old 11-26-18, 02:27 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
road diet... energy wrappers causing fires?

at least one road wont be blocked by traffic