Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Uncaged bottom bracket bearings?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Uncaged bottom bracket bearings?

Old 06-14-19, 01:57 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Let my people go! .. a caged bearing was heard to say
Old 06-14-19, 03:08 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
In this electron microscope video taken of the interaction of molecules of Phil Wood grease around a single loose ball bearing in a re-built 1970's English Sugino MW-68 bottom bracket we can see how precise the flow of grease is from an endurance pace through a typical City Limits Sign Sprint:

Old 06-14-19, 03:20 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Likes For BFisher:
Old 06-14-19, 03:37 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Let's ask Sheldon & Jobst if those angels dancing on the heads of pins are wearing ballet slippers or tap shoes.....
Same irrelevance regarding "performance" as the "caged vs loose" bearings in a bicycle BB, but Seraphim in tap shoes gets my vote for a Bugsby Berkeley version of heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx6s-YReOJY

-Bandera
Originally Posted by Bandera
In this electron microscope video taken of the interaction of molecules of Phil Wood grease around a single loose ball bearing in a re-built 1970's English Sugino MW-68 bottom bracket we can see how precise the flow of grease is from an endurance pace through a typical City Limits Sign Sprint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysvQ5MaUbd8
I think we're getting a pretty good idea of what kind of movies @Bandera likes to watch. Are these Depression era movies still popular in the TX hill country?
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-14-19, 07:13 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
I cannont argue the points made but, here's the rub: how do we find "quality caged ball bearings"? I can imagine that quality balls are easy but determining the quality of the cage ( given the variety of ways to cut costs and corners on a stamped, rolled n welded cage thing) is beyond me. I have no idea what the relative quality of that drawer full of caged bearings at my LBS is. As pointed out above, even wide tolerances in cage dimensions can alter performance consistency. Finish of the edges on the stamping can as well. Spacing, rolling of the cage 'fingers', cage height and OD. My head spins.

How to know what's what".........
I buy caged bearings at the local bearing supply not the LBS, they always have a few grades to choose from . YMMV
Old 06-14-19, 10:27 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
I buy caged bearings at the local bearing supply not the LBS...
The other "LBS"....
Likes For madpogue:
Old 06-28-19, 01:00 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Had long known that bicycles were the killer app for ball bearings. Before bicycles, ball bearings were an oddity. Parts ran in babbitt metal journals or in brass bushings and anything else was very custom. Bikes needed ball bearings and got them. The mention of Archibald Sharp above got me curious. Normally I'd not quibble with Sharp. My copy of Bicycles and Tricycles is very well thumbed and will soon need rubber bands to hold it together.

So I got curious about what ball bearings were like in 1896. Answer is in Anglo-American industry ball bearings were turned on lathes. Diameter of a lathe turned bearing was accurate to about 0.001". Except for when they settled for 0.002". Surface finish was variable to same 0.001". This is not grade 25. This is not grade 2500. The idea of matched balls from same batch does not apply. Better than not having ball bearings but real different than what we are used to. Also of course extremely expensive. Archibald Sharp could very likely not see much in favor of putting balls that rough into a retainer.

What I could not find out was when bearings got more normal. Was able to find that as late as 1900 they were still lathe-turned. Before 1892/3 balls were hard to get at all. Then there are multiple mentions of German bearings being ground, not turned, in a process similar to modern, as early as 1883. Hard to understand why an advance like that would entirely go unnoticed in UK or America. Also super-annoying that search engines resist all but Anglophone world.

If anyone knows more about history of bearings would be most interested.
Old 06-29-19, 10:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
A point that will seem pedantic, but "bearing" is the word for the assembly that "bears" the force of rotation. A headset is a bearing. The steel balls are not bearings; they are balls. They are balls for bearings, hence the proper term is "bearing balls," not "ball bearings." Similarly, the laces you use to tie your shoes are shoelaces, not laceshoes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-29-19, 11:11 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Thanks for all the responses. The spacing argument seemed like it would be worth investigating, so I hunted around a bit to see what Jobst Brandt had to say about the topic. In this rec.bicycles.tech thread, he wrote:

Hmmm. Sir Sheldon disagrees:

Unfortunately, we can't ask either Jobst or Sheldon.

I do have some Campy caged bearings, not in front of me, though what I've read suggests they probably hold 11 bearings. The reason for buying the Sugino was that I lacked a suitable Campy spindle. This bb was cheap enough that even if I didn't use the cups and bearings, I'd have a spindle I could use. I think I will try 11 loose bearings and see how it goes. Unless the ride is so magical that I sell every other bike I own and start riding 20k miles per year, based on what I've read I rather suspect there will be little effective lifetime wear difference between 9 caged, 11 caged or 11 loose bearings.
Hmmm........carefully read those two quotes from Sheldon and Jobst a few of times.........and they seem to agree that caged bearings is just for ease and economy of assembly, not for wear and friction reduction performance......
Old 06-30-19, 12:56 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
My good friend Bob is a mechanical engineer for Husqvrna. The other night I asked him which is better for a bicycle crank axle, 11 loose or 9 caged bearings. Without going into a lot of detail, he said, in most applications caged bearings have the advantage. The predictable position of the bearing reduces wear on the race. Because of the loose tolerances and the light load on bicycle crank bearings, it probably doesn't make any difference if the bearings are in a cage or loose. The downward force produced by a rider is 2 times their body weight. Crank bearings can easily handle 5 times the load produced by a 200 pound rider. Lubrication is far more important than bearing type or grade.

Please don't shoot the messenger
Likes For brian3069:
Old 07-07-19, 01:12 PM
michaeldb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hey all,
I rebuilding the Nate e Abbiati I found in my sister's beach house basement. It's a standard 80s style frame. When I took out the campy BB it had 1/4" loose un-caged balls in it which surprised me. Most of the bike was campy GS, so I figured maybe that's the way it originally was set up. Well after serious cleaning and repacking the bearing balls the BB doesn't feel as smooth as I'd like.
JohnDThomspon on page1 recommended Bike Tools Etc., 11 ball cage.
Does anyone know if this 11 ball cage will work in a mid 80s campy BB?
I noticed that campy can use 10 or 11 ball cages. I'm not sure which goes to what.
thx
Old 07-07-19, 03:05 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by brian3069
My good friend Bob is a mechanical engineer for Husqvrna. The other night I asked him which is better for a bicycle crank axle, 11 loose or 9 caged bearings. Without going into a lot of detail, he said, in most applications caged bearings have the advantage. The predictable position of the bearing reduces wear on the race. Because of the loose tolerances and the light load on bicycle crank bearings, it probably doesn't make any difference if the bearings are in a cage or loose. The downward force produced by a rider is 2 times their body weight. Crank bearings can easily handle 5 times the load produced by a 200 pound rider. Lubrication is far more important than bearing type or grade.

Please don't shoot the messenger
I used to be able to leg press 1000#. That was when I weighed 170. That is not particularly exceptional, lotsa people can do that. This would be back when I carried pianos up and down stairs. Down is harder. The hard part is not lifting the weight, the hard part is the fine control that keeps the polished finish on the piano intact. A bike rider is loading a small circle of balls via a nice long lever. That lever is outboard from the balls. Now add in that the BB spindle bends and twists and that the cups are only hopefully aligned and you can get some serious loads. That bicycle bearings are only lightly loaded is a common perception among those who work with gas engines and power tools. Old and fat I still got more torque than a Harley-Davidson.
Old 07-07-19, 06:30 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Oil or grease?

-Kurt