Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

How do you lock your touring bike? Is robbery really real?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

How do you lock your touring bike? Is robbery really real?

Old 06-30-19, 08:28 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RobWhite
I've ridden a Kvale fast road bike for decades on day rides but have never once locked it in rural areas... I watch it nervously like a hawk...

my current favorite; though likely because I haven't seen a youtube video defeating it in seconds yet....
To me, other than the obvious fact that there are a ton of ****** bags out there and one of them would happily take that pesky bike off of your hands, the nervous watching like a hawk alone is worth having a lock. I used to not lock up for quick, short little stops. It just wasn't worth the anxiety. It's so easy to just lock it up real quick and relax.

And you nailed it with the "Yet" part. Every lock has been defeated in seconds except something like the massive Kryptonites. I personally like to just carry a small-ish chain lock. It's so easy to store it anywhere, and it's more versatile for locking up than a u-lock. You're basically safe from someone stealing your bike in the middle of the day, as long as it has some sort of decent lock on it. A small-ish chain lock for peace of mind is good enough for me. I'm currently using an Abus with the little number code dial. I know those aren't terribly complicated to get past, but again, mid-day, most scumbags are waiting for the sun to go down so they can go steal some bikes. If you ever plan to lock up overnight, outside, in a city or something, I'd take a substantial lock. Oh, and I use bolt on skewers. I prefer those to the special locking ones because they don't require a special tool. Just my regular bike multi-tool alan key. Not as secure, but stops quick theft. Even just seeing that they aren't quick release is probably enough to make most thieves keep walking in search of an easier target.

Last edited by 3speed; 06-30-19 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 08:36 PM
3speed

Originally Posted by tcs
I had my helmet stolen once. Yep. Not my bike, or any of my camping gear, or my camera. Nope. Somebody took my helmet.
They're playing the long game. They're still watching, waiting. Eventually you'll crash, and without that helmet, it'll end horribly. At that moment, they swoop in and the bike is theirs!
Old 06-30-19, 09:19 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
They're playing the long game. They're still watching, waiting. Eventually you'll crash, and without that helmet, it'll end horribly. At that moment, they swoop in and the bike is theirs!
that did make me laugh.
my first helmet, a Specialized thingee with crappy ventilation from maybe 92 or something, got put down on the grass outside my appartment and by the time I went back for it, someone had taken it...I hope they sweated as much as I did while climbing hills or when it was hot--and i hope they put on sunscreen and it ran into their eyes and stung like a bugger! serves them right! ;-)
Old 06-30-19, 11:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
@RobWhite if your lock is really that old check if it’s one of the recalled models that can be picked with a ballpoint pen body.

TIL there are aluminum locks for weight weenies. Why not tubing while you’re at it?
Old 07-02-19, 11:10 PM
RobWhite

Bikes: '81 Chris Kvale; '19 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=3speed;21005051]"I personally like to just carry a small-ish chain lock."

Makes sense. After reading the responses, thinking about it a bit, and doing a little more anecdotal 'research' I came to the same conclusion and bought a light chain lock for the normal rural riding I do. I know it won't stop any kind of real bike thief but should dissuade teenagers and potential petty criminals from riding away with it or throwing it in a truck when I'm stopped at a small town/rural convenience store, gas station bathroom, or cafe for a few minutes; and it's light and easy to carry.

Full confession: I actually bought three locks (two were cheap) and gave away the old Kryponite u-lock. The second is a light long cable lock that I plan to bring on multiday rural tours when I want to lock the bike to a picnic table, my tent, etc. over night in a campground and I might need more length. Then I also bought a heavy duty folding lock (Foldylock.) It seems to be a little more convenient (mounted on the bosses under the down tube) and lighter than a standard U-lock; and feels very solid and secure. But with the mounting bracket it still weighs 2.7lbs. And when you hold it you think 'I really don't want this anchor on my bike unless I REALLY need it...' So I just plan to bring it on tours (along with the cable lock) when I'll be in more populated areas with higher risk of theft.

And good point about bringing a light lock just to avoid the stress of 'watching it like a hawk.' I'm probably (surely) exaggerating a bit. However there definitely have been many times through the years using a bathroom in a gas station, say, where I was rushed and worried. Might start bringing the new light (1/2 lb-ish) chain lock along on those fast rides too just for the peace of mind.
Old 07-02-19, 11:20 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
After you get out of the major city you live in and are actually on tour in small towns you feel pretty stupid for bringing a 3 lb lock.
Old 07-03-19, 01:24 AM
3speed

Eh. You feel stupid bringing the big lock, because you didn't need it since your bike didn't get stolen. Then you feel stupid for not bringing it when your bike gets stolen. It's the old "damned if you do, damned if you don't."
Old 07-07-19, 08:27 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
[QUOTE=RobWhite;21008889]
Originally Posted by 3speed
"I personally like to just carry a small-ish chain lock."

Makes sense. After reading the responses, thinking about it a bit, and doing a little more anecdotal 'research' I came to the same conclusion and bought a light chain lock for the normal rural riding I do. I know it won't stop any kind of real bike thief but should dissuade teenagers and potential petty criminals from riding away with it or throwing it in a truck when I'm stopped at a small town/rural convenience store, gas station bathroom, or cafe for a few minutes; and it's light and easy to carry.

Full confession: I actually bought three locks (two were cheap) and gave away the old Kryponite u-lock. The second is a light long cable lock that I plan to bring on multiday rural tours when I want to lock the bike to a picnic table, my tent, etc. over night in a campground and I might need more length. Then I also bought a heavy duty folding lock (Foldylock.) It seems to be a little more convenient (mounted on the bosses under the down tube) and lighter than a standard U-lock; and feels very solid and secure. But with the mounting bracket it still weighs 2.7lbs. And when you hold it you think 'I really don't want this anchor on my bike unless I REALLY need it...' So I just plan to bring it on tours (along with the cable lock) when I'll be in more populated areas with higher risk of theft.

And good point about bringing a light lock just to avoid the stress of 'watching it like a hawk.' I'm probably (surely) exaggerating a bit. However there definitely have been many times through the years using a bathroom in a gas station, say, where I was rushed and worried. Might start bringing the new light (1/2 lb-ish) chain lock along on those fast rides too just for the peace of mind.
When I was a teenager I had a bicycle stolen. The amazing thing was that I was only away from the bike for 30 SECONDS. I was delivering a check to a bank manager and looked at my watch when I got there. he was waiting at the door that was recessed. I had leaned the bike against the bank and walked to the door and gave him the check. I turned around and the bike was gone never to be seen again.

New Years Eve 2018/2019, a friend had his FIORI MODENA stolen whilst he was inside a Tim Horton's coffee shop. The bike still hasn't been found. It was unlocked as he thought that if he saw someone trying to steal it that he could get to the bike before they rode away with it. His luck ran out and he lost a very nice bicycle.

LOCK IT O LOSE IT! is a great mantra that the police use around here.

Imagine being on a tour many, many miles from home and having your bicycle stolen because it wasn't locked. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Even a lightweight cable lock will stop the grab and go thief.

Cheers