Go Back  Bike Forums > The Market Place > For Sale
Reload this Page >

REDUCED PRICE Circa 1962 Gitane Champion du Monde -- Completely Rebuilt

Notices
For Sale Items for sale, bicycle and cycling related items only, please! Requires upgraded Membership to post new threads. This forum is intended for individual members to sell their bikes and bike related gear, and not for commercial ventures or company sales. Prices must be quoted up front, we are not an auction site, and do not link to your ebay auctions.

Old 06-15-19, 07:46 PM
Elagins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For most of the 1960s, the Champion du Monde was Gitane's top of the line production tourer/racer. Everything about it was built for speed and light weight, from the Nervex-lugged, d/b Reynolds 531 frame and Campagnolo Gran Sport derailleurs, Record Pista 1038 pedals and wide-flange Record Strada hubs to the Stronglight P3 headset and 49D/175 cranks. I've owned this bike since 1974 and not long ago did a complete rebuild – mechanicals stripped down and all bearings replaced, wheels (Mavic Montlhéry Legère 36) re-laced (4-cross) and trued, frame sand-blasted and powder-coated; new rubber, chain and cables. Everything is original, except the saddle (Ideale 88 > Ecco 106), brakes (Mafac Racer c/p > Universal Super 88 s/p), quill stem (Ambrosio Champion > 3ttt Mod. 2b 120), seat post and toe clips. I would continue riding, but frankly, given my age and physical condition, I'm no longer worthy of such a thoroughbred: it's time to hand her off to the rider she deserves. Note that the last two photos are of the frame before refinishing. Location: Poway (San Diego), CA; Asking: $1,850.

Old 06-22-19, 07:31 PM
c13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
beautiful

beautiful bike