Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo question new Centaur 11 vs Chorus?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 09:23 AM
72fuji

Bikes: fuji finest, klien pinacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

A little background I purchased a very clean nice Colnago frame awhile back and took the Suntour superbe pro group off my old bike and put it on the Colnago to see if I like the geometry and shorter wheelbase. Short answer, I do. So now it’s going to be put the group back on my old bike and upgrade the Colnago. Since 11 speed cassettes all play nice I’m thinking new Centaur but I just can’t wrap my head around the 4 arm crankset🙄 I called Campagnolo and he was super nice his stated that all 11speed cranks play nice with all 11 speed groups.

So here the question/thought I haven’t really found an 11speed silver reasonable but I can get a 2014 carbon Chorus or Record 52/39 170 kinda cheap and with a Medium cage rear I can go up to a 32.... mechanically any reason to go up groups?? Just get black Centaur and call it a day? Lol I’m not a racer but I never make what I’m using the issue... I take that excuse out of the equation😉

I would be looking at 2015+ Chorus and current Centaur
thanks in advance
Tony
Old 07-15-19, 10:40 AM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 72fuji
A little background I purchased a very clean nice Colnago frame awhile back and took the Suntour superbe pro group off my old bike and put it on the Colnago to see if I like the geometry and shorter wheelbase. Short answer, I do. So now it’s going to be put the group back on my old bike and upgrade the Colnago. Since 11 speed cassettes all play nice I’m thinking new Centaur but I just can’t wrap my head around the 4 arm crankset🙄 I called Campagnolo and he was super nice his stated that all 11speed cranks play nice with all 11 speed groups.

So here the question/thought I haven’t really found an 11speed silver reasonable but I can get a 2014 carbon Chorus or Record 52/39 170 kinda cheap and with a Medium cage rear I can go up to a 32.... mechanically any reason to go up groups?? Just get black Centaur and call it a day? Lol I’m not a racer but I never make what I’m using the issue... I take that excuse out of the equation😉

I would be looking at 2015+ Chorus and current Centaur
thanks in advance
Tony
Check your pm.
Old 07-15-19, 10:55 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
I have the Centaur 11 speed in silver and like it a lot, it looks good and works well. One minor issue is that the new Centaur FD shifter requires a long throw so to speak to shift, much longer than my old 10 speed Centaur. In addition the lower end Campag groupsets only have 3 clicks on the front derailleur, while the old 10 speed setup has 5. Otherwise, its a nice groupset that isn't too crazy in cost.

If you can find a "good" used 10 speed Campag set up (seems to be what you want), i would jump on that also; however, my experience says they are hard to find or i'm too fussy.

Mike
Old 07-15-19, 12:13 PM
72fuji

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for the input, the guys that are pushing me back in ( been busy with life&#128580 are all running 11 speed so it was “suggested” that I go 11 lol. Then just in case we can swap and only play with the limits just in case something goes pop. (Way in the past, one of us alway a brought spare something with us or left in the car/sag wagon)
What reviews are out there have stated the longer throw and a bit firmer. I’ve ridden the 10speed Chorus for a very short ride and they just feel better in the hand than two S’s, most of the other riders are on Shimano. And sigh.... this would be my first briftery things.. lol I’m gettin old..

Any thoughts on if either is...fussy/finicky compared to each other?
( I’m kinda getting my chops busted for not wanting Shimano... lol and riding steel... but all in fun&#128578
Old 07-15-19, 12:59 PM
gfk_velo

Bikes: Too many!

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelman54
I have the Centaur 11 speed in silver and like it a lot, it looks good and works well. One minor issue is that the new Centaur FD shifter requires a long throw so to speak to shift, much longer than my old 10 speed Centaur. In addition the lower end Campag groupsets only have 3 clicks on the front derailleur, while the old 10 speed setup has 5. Otherwise, its a nice groupset that isn't too crazy in cost.

If you can find a "good" used 10 speed Campag set up (seems to be what you want), i would jump on that also; however, my experience says they are hard to find or i'm too fussy.

Mike
If that's the case, you possibly have it set up wrong, depending on how I'm interpreting your comment!

To take the FD from as far left as it ever needs to go, to as far right, you should need only one full sweep of the finger lever (lever 2) - that is the same as a correct set-up on the old Centaur 10 (where although there are 5 clicks, you only use 3 of them, if you are running QS levers and a QS FD) and new Centaur 11. In terms of angle, that should be the same as your Centaur 10. Lever 2 is slightly longer in the 11s systems, so it may feel like a longer throw.
Old 07-15-19, 01:00 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
\

So here the question/thought I haven’t really found an 11speed silver reasonable but I can get a 2014 carbon Chorus or Record 52/39 170 kinda cheap and with a Medium cage rear I can go up to a 32.... mechanically any reason to go up groups??
Since 2011, only Chorus and above have been able to shift multiple cogs smaller with a single lever actuation. That's very convenient dropping from large ring to the next easier gear on the small ring.
Old 07-15-19, 02:40 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I'm switching two bikes over to chorus 12. I got a very early group with the new 48/32 crank and 11-34 cassette. Works great. I'll be selling off 11 speed parts from both bikes. One has a 2018 chorus group with 50/34 crank and the other has older parts - pre 2015 shifters with 50/34 crank and a 2018 potenza RD. I have 12-27 chorus and 12-32 centaur cassettes.

The number of clicks on the FD is irrelevant. Each works with a specific FD. Both shifters are ultra-shift, not the lower level stuff.

The 2018 group will not include brakes - I'm keeping those and selling off either the single pivot silver brakes, or the new Chorus 12 brakes.
Old 07-15-19, 06:13 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Just installed Record levers and Chorus 11 speed derailleurs on my steel steed. Kept the Suntour Superbe Pro cranks with 10 speed rings and it shifts perfectly, right from the original set up. No after adjustments have been needed. The stuff is very versatile.
Old 07-15-19, 08:17 PM
72fuji

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Just installed Record levers and Chorus 11 speed derailleurs on my steel steed. Kept the Suntour Superbe Pro cranks with 10 speed rings and it shifts perfectly, right from the original set up. No after adjustments have been needed. The stuff is very versatile.

That’s a twist, this is what it’s going on. And there is a company that modifies a Shimano cassette so 11 will fit on an old 10. I’ll probably be going with the all black. I’m an engineer so I’ve alway tried to listen to the guys that have work on things I’ve done... gripe sheet. So far everything I’ve read has no gripes about either and I should be able to get parts for along time if needed the way campy does business. You guys are great thank you!
Old 07-25-19, 08:20 AM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts

That’s a twist, this is what it’s going on. And there is a company that modifies a Shimano cassette so 11 will fit on an old 10. I’ll probably be going with the all black. I’m an engineer so I’ve alway tried to listen to the guys that have work on things I’ve done... gripe sheet. So far everything I’ve read has no gripes about either and I should be able to get parts for along time if needed the way campy does business. You guys are great thank you!
That's a beautiful rig!
Old 07-25-19, 10:26 AM
Trinity Pratt

Bikes: 2014 Wilier Zero.9, 2010 Orbea Aqua, 2007 Ross mtb, 1972 Sekine GS, 1971 Motobecane Grand Record, 1953 Parkes Magpie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you for the input, the guys that are pushing me back in ( been busy with life��) are all running 11 speed so it was “suggested” that I go 11 lol. Then just in case we can swap and only play with the limits just in case something goes pop. (Way in the past, one of us alway a brought spare something with us or left in the car/sag wagon)
What reviews are out there have stated the longer throw and a bit firmer. I’ve ridden the 10speed Chorus for a very short ride and they just feel better in the hand than two S’s, most of the other riders are on Shimano. And sigh.... this would be my first briftery things.. lol I’m gettin old..

Any thoughts on if either is...fussy/finicky compared to each other?
( I’m kinda getting my chops busted for not wanting Shimano... lol and riding steel... but all in fun��)
I put the 2018 Centaur (black) full groupset on my ebay-purchased '14 Wilier last summer, replacing the Ultegra it came with. Love it, my first time with Campy, have ridden Shimano and SRAM. For me, Campy #1 , SRAM #2 , Shimano a distant third, hate those wishy-washy brifters. SRAM's configuration is good, but really like the Campy thumb paddle. And, I've never had such trouble-free chainring upshifts.

Last edited by Trinity Pratt; 07-25-19 at 10:28 AM. Reason: fat-finger correction
Old 07-29-19, 10:39 AM
gfk_velo

Originally Posted by DaveSSS

The number of clicks on the FD is irrelevant. Each works with a specific FD. Both shifters are ultra-shift, not the lower level stuff.
Ummm, not entirely true.
Correct that we (Campagnolo) generally advise not to intermix shifter levers / derailleurs (though there are caveats to that) ...

The number of clicks taken from farthest left to farthest right can affect whether the system functions correctly in terms of big to small ring drop, chain clearance past the front mech on either ring and whether the FD will "hold" the outer chainring position. Poor set up will affect durability of all the working parts, UltraShift or PowerShift.
Old 07-29-19, 10:48 AM
gfk_velo

That’s a twist, this is what it’s going on. And there is a company that modifies a Shimano cassette so 11 will fit on ....
Be a little bit careful with that. If the mod they do is the one I think it is, they skim a small amount of material off the back of the rear-most sprocket carrier (seen that done a lot to adapt Shimano 10s disc wheels used in TTs over to 11s, as the freehub body often can't be changed). In the case of a conventional spoked wheel this takes the biggest sprocket & therefore the RD cage very close in to the spokes. It doesn't leave a lot of room for error with the low limit screw on the RD or for a hanger that is at all out of alignment (although the bigger the final sprocket is, the less of a problem is created ...)