Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Mountain Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Need Help In Finding Northern CA MTB Races for 10yr old

Search
Notices
Mountain Bike Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-06, 08:15 PM
The Tortoise

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My son is fast. I want to Race him in some MTB races (XC) here in Northern CA. All I see is Junior's starting at age 15.

Any suggestions?

He rides a Blur Classic with XT. He climbs Tam and goes down the back side. He rides all over the Santa Cruz Mtns on the single track behind UC Santa Cruz. He has been doing Downieville Downhill (Pauly and Butcher) since he was 8. He also races XC motorcycles too (KTM 85). We will be doing some Road Crits as well. These are easy to find.

Let me know

Doug
Lafayette, CA
Old 02-27-06, 07:56 AM
dutret
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<i>I want to Race him in some MTB races (XC) here in Northern CA</i>

that sentence really disturbs me.
Old 02-27-06, 11:23 AM
dirtbikedude
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give the folks here a call DownievilleClassic. Also check out Sea Otter Classic, it is happening in April and would be a great place to do a first race.

There are catagoris for them little ones, the youngest I have seen at a race was 5yrs old and he was doing great on the DH course but they do have younger catagories in XC as well. I have been out of the race sceen for 2yrs now (will be back next season) so the classes may have changed.

DBD
Old 02-27-06, 01:59 PM
leonardotmnt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
<i>I want to Race him in some MTB races (XC) here in Northern CA</i>

that sentence really disturbs me.
Won't you look like a fool if his son is a horse or a car.
Old 02-27-06, 06:04 PM
The Tortoise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Dirt Bike Dude. I now see a 14 and under in XC at the Sea Otter.

I could swear I only saw 15 and older classes before at the web site for the Sea Otter. I guess I was wrong. Thanks for the info.

Downieville Classic I want to race this year. They don't have any reg forms up yet they say due to not getting forest approval yet

Thanks

doug
Old 02-28-06, 04:56 PM
mtb-chop

Bikes: Stumpjumper FSR 30th Anniversary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending on his endurance, this year's Sea Otter may be a good fit (If it's his idea).

The course this year isn't too technical - a 400' vertical, very sandy climb, - a steep downhill section with DEEP sand - one longer singletrack climb that's pretty smooth but with some steep sections. There's some rocks, a bunch of smooth singletrack, and a bunch of fireroads. In all the course is about 19.5 miles.

The course last year hit most of the more fun trails and I'd characterize this year's course as boring from the 'fun' perspective, but there are some fun sections. In case you're wondering, I ride the trails in this network 3-4 times a week.
Old 03-02-06, 12:08 AM
The Tortoise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks mtb-chop.

We are torn between the MTB Short Course or the MTB Cross Country Course.

His strengths are steep climbs. He is light and strong. On gental climbs and flats I blow him away. On steep stuff he blows me away. We did 18 miles today. The last 1 mile is a steep climb. I never got close to him on the climb after we had done about 17 miles by odometer. I take it it is the power to weight ratio stuff.

He likes the idea of the 19 mile course. We will prerun it a couple of times in the near future. He would need to keep up on the downhill, make time on the climbs and try to not loose on the flat stuff.

I don't know what the short course is like. Jeanne (Sea Otter Hostess) told me by email it was about 1mi loop for a 1/2 hr sprint. If it is flat he may not do well. The 13 and 14 yr olds will be too strong.

Tough choice. Kinda like a Horse Race and figuring the odds. (joke!).

Anyhow he wants to try one of the two (short or long). We don't want to do two races.

So mtb-chop or anyone else what would you suggest

doug
Old 03-02-06, 12:48 AM
mtb-chop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If he'd do better on a hilly course, I'm thinking the XC...

I'm not sure where they're going to be running it, but here's a quote about the MTB Short Track from the Sea Otter site:

Test your speed skills against your peers in this anaerobic hammer fest. The Sea Otter Short Track course is fast with two gradual climbs. Officials will pull all riders with the threat of being lapped. All categories will race 17 minutes plus 3 laps.
And this is a description of the XC course from the MotionBased site:

2006 Sea Otter Classic XC Course Reveiw

by Olivier Bock
MB Rider and Team Manager

MTB XC 06The Sea Otter XC course, redesigned for 2006, is sweet! But for those of you who have gotten the thing wired over the years, it's time for a rethink. The start, so critical in years past, is considerably easier with no major climbs until at least 3 miles in to the race. The entry into the singletrack will occur after a long and wide fireroad section with plenty of rain ruts to keep things interesting.

If you don't make it into the singletrack first, that's ok, relax, because there are plenty of passing opportunities up ahead. So enjoy, because this is some great new trail, fast, sweeping, like the Sea Otter of old before it got so blown out. The downhill trail transitions into an uphill trail, just across a road. Windy and fast, with some sand, there are passing opportunities if you are willing to exert yourself. This first hill will be power central, as groups paceline their way out of the woods up onto a plateau, where the first technical descent awaits...

Technical? We called this sandy descent "the beach". Keep your hands off the front brake, point your bike downhill, and hold on! This is steep and deep, with some whoops and turns; it's fast, really fun and delivers you to the low point on the course. From the bottom another singletrack climb awaits, winding up through madrone and manzanita to another plateau. Gaining nearly 500 feet of elevation in 3/4 of a mile, this is one of the toughest climbs on the course.

From there things open up, and double track quickly leads to a gravel road, taking you down to the base of a fireroad, where you begin a fast, smooth climb up another 300 feet in 1.3 miles. At the top, turn left onto some familiar singletrack (24hrs, or Sea Otter 04) which winds and rolls, eventually sending you down a series of tight, loose turns, dumping you at the bottom of "3 *****es", but in reverse.

That's right, the "3 *****es" backwards. They are considerably easier in this direction, although the first one is pretty brutal. Watch out for deep rain ruts on the back side of 2nd ***** (stay left), or your race could end early.

The next section will be familiar to veterans of the race, only this time in the other direction, but quickly you are on new ground, taking a few off-camber turns down to the next, and last, technical descent (another sandy beach). Same as before, no front brake and you will live.
MTB XC 06

One more switchback trail takes you up to a plateau, and then back down to a nicely paved road. Climb out on the road (that gets really steep) and tie back in to the old course, backwards.

The climb home is still long, but it is broken up by moderate climbs, rollers, and false flats. The wind will be a factor, and the climb gets hardest near the top, where you climb what used to be at the very start of the course and drop into a short section of singletrack before tying back in to the raceway to the finish (or the start of your second lap).

Considerations? This is a fast course, faster than ever, and "roadies" will do well (as usual). Less bumpy than the old course, a hardtail is the recommended tool. Tire choice will be important; for control on the "beaches" and fast rolling on everything else, look for high volume and low rolling resistance. Thinking single speed? This course seems custom made for the event, I'm guessing a 34x16 will be the gear under the strongest legs this year.

Overall, the Sea Otter XC has lost none of the magic that makes it into a world-class cross-country venue. The trails are awesome, the scenery and landscape are beautiful, and the racing will be as exciting as ever. Look forward to some tight finishes in the Pro events. This is going to be fun. I can't wait!
Here's a link to turn-by-turn directions and a course map.

Based on your description, I think the XC has the best prospects for an enjoyable race for him. It will be fast b/c of all the fireroad stuff and the relatively smooth trails, but almost every time the course goes onto a road/fireroad, the road is going up, so that may help him. Plus, the last few miles will likely be into a headwind so that will probably help someone with less frontal area.

Any detailed questions about the course, let me know. I've ridden all those trails a lot except for three (55, 35, and 32). I just haven't done a couple of them 'backwards.'
Old 03-02-06, 10:04 AM
The Tortoise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks MTB-Chop

The XC is what we are favoring too. I have the directions and looked at the motion based maps too. May get me a new Garmin and use Motion Base database for fun

doug
Old 03-02-06, 11:59 AM
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One thing to keep in mind about NORBA races is that sometimes a 10 year old's XC race is actually a 10 minute short Track race, and sometimes its the regular XC course, and sometimes its a beginners XC course. Sometimes they will have an actual XC and Short Track, and you can usually find out EXACTLY what's going on with these races AFTER you've paid your money.
Old 03-02-06, 09:48 PM
The Tortoise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Hostess of the Sea Otter that I emailed plus a couple of other people said it was the 19 mile course for the under 14.

doug
Old 03-03-06, 07:20 AM
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All I'm saying is that in NORBA, kids are considered beginners, and therefore must race in thier age class.... Just to avoid your son's disappointment, make sure the Sea Otter folks will let your 10 year old race in the 13-14 group. I've run into this problem at NORBA races, despite phone calls, e-mails, etc. to the contrary.......
Old 03-03-06, 01:35 PM
leonardotmnt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not really into racing myself but at that age is it really all about winning? Since it's not going to be making a living for him maybe just entering some races to get used to them, whether or not you think he'll win, will be good for him. I'm all for competition and all that but he has plenty of time to race and maybe it will help to just try a variety of things for now.
Old 03-03-06, 04:45 PM
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE]

I definatley agree with you... in fact, my 14 year old started racing xc in WV when he was 7 or 8, and what it taught him was how to have fun and lose at the same time.
Old 03-05-06, 11:28 PM
konaguy1123

Bikes: trek and a kona stinky primo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone know how hard the downhill trail is? and are these trails open only for the event or all the time?
Old 03-05-06, 11:33 PM
mtb-chop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by konaguy1123
does anyone know how hard the downhill trail is? and are these trails open only for the event or all the time?
I had to ask dminor where the DH course was and I ride the Ft. Ord trails a few times a week...According to the trail map, there aren't any trails on that side (west) of Laguna Seca, nor have I tried to ride over on that side...I know there's a shooting range over there and I have no interest in being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sorry to only give you a partial answer...

Edit: It was dirtbikedude that posted this:
Originally Posted by dirtbikedude
As far as I know it will be the same general area as previous years. The start will be on the large hill behind the shooting range, run down along the ridge and fire road, then cross the pavment to the dirt road at the bottom with the 1/4mi pedaling section to the finish. I also believe they will have the ladder drops again as well.

I am not racing this year so I have not really been folllowing the course maps. i have a friend that usually helps design the course and I can ask him if there are any changes.

DBD
It's the last post of this thread.

Last edited by mtb-chop; 03-05-06 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-30-06, 06:45 AM
dirtbikedude
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by konaguy1123
The DH course is very, very easy. There are a few spots you may use the bail-out lines but 95% of the course any beginner can get through with no problems. Just watch out for the "gap" at the bottom (do not worry, there is a line around it). If you plan on racing it you should get their early enough to do a walk through (if not a day or two before), both down and up. You can always tell the riders who just come to race and never walk or do a slow pre-ride, they make for some great crashes.

DBD

p.s. No matter what the weather reports say, be prepared for rainy, muddy conditions.