Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter Wheel build

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Winter Wheel build

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 11:51 AM
biffstephens
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter Wheel build

I am going to build a set of wheels this winter. I am going to start collecting parts and whatnot.

I am thinking about doing the whole thing using DT Swiss products. It seems that people are generally happy with there stuff so it seemed like a good theme.

Has anyone used the DT aerolite spokes? I am thinking of the black ones.....I am also liking the RR1.1 Rims and the 240's for hub or the 190 Ceramic....Radial 20 in the front and 3X 28 in the rear....

This is my first build and I hope to have a strong and lite wheelset. Any thoughts?
Old 09-20-07, 12:20 PM
Stray Cat
wussy

Bikes: Scott CR1, Trek 2200, Gary Fisher Tassajara, PedalForce ZX3 (coming)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*Cue WaterRockets*
Old 09-20-07, 12:59 PM
dur4ce

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I would skip with 190 Ceramic and opt for the 240. I have nothing against ceramic bearings except they only show their true value when things are spinning in the thousands of revolutions per minute. At the speed that bicycle parts move, the difference is negligible, and weight difference is about 1/2g in a small bearing (versus steel), and 1g in a large bearing.

If its about weight fine (although you did say it was a set of winter wheels, so I would think that weight is not of supreme importance), if its about performance, just go with the 240s.

-Steve