Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help,divine guidance, further instruction on removing freehub body

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 10:33 AM
Don777

Bikes: Cannondale R600 and Beater MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 9 speed freehub body that I am trying to remove. With 20K miles I would like to flush it out. Checked the Park site for instruction. Seems mostly clear. I used the 11 MM Allen wrench with and 18 inch pipe for leverage. The Park site said it would be difficult. That is an understatement. I am attempting to turn the thing counter-clockwise, all to no avail. I feel that I might break something, warp the wheel, etc. and I do not have a back-up wheel. Any wisdom is appreciated.
Old 01-21-08, 11:41 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
11mm? All of the Shimano freehub bodies I've worked on use a 10 mm Allen wrench. They can be TIGHT but they unscrew counterclockwise just as you are attempting.
Old 01-21-08, 12:23 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I vaguely remember having to find an 11 mm wrench for one but, like hillrider, most of the Shimano freehub bodies that I have removed have been 10 mm. An 18 inch breaker bar would freak me out too. I've never needed to use anything like that for removing a freehub body bolt.
Old 01-21-08, 12:40 PM
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Don777
I have a 9 speed freehub body that I am trying to remove. With 20K miles I would like to flush it out.
You don't need to remove it to flush it. My advice is to leave it on the hub, unless/untill you decide to replace it for some reason.

Originally Posted by Don777
Checked the Park site for instruction. Seems mostly clear. I used the 11 MM Allen wrench with and 18 inch pipe for leverage. The Park site said it would be difficult. That is an understatement. I am attempting to turn the thing counter-clockwise, all to no avail. I feel that I might break something, warp the wheel, etc. and I do not have a back-up wheel. Any wisdom is appreciated.
Put the wrench in a vise, that way you can apply balanced torque to the wheel with your two hands 180 degrees apart. This minimizes any risk of damaging the wheel.

Sheldon "Couple" Brown
Old 01-21-08, 01:17 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
11mm? All of the Shimano freehub bodies I've worked on use a 10 mm Allen wrench. They can be TIGHT but they unscrew counterclockwise just as you are attempting.
I have a Bontrager freehub that takes an 11mm hex wrench. I couldn't find an 11mm, but found that 7/16" is pretty darn close. Riding torque is not exerted through that bolt. Rather, the bolt holds the freehub body so it engages a mechanical lock.

That screw holding the freehub body to the hub shouldn't be on that tight. Installation torque is probably in the 30 ft-lb range.

What brand freehub do you have? If it's Shimano, then it's probably 10mm. An 11mm in a Shimano may be catching on something other than the freehub body bolt.

Also, I use 3/8 drive hex bit socket tools. These are stiffer and provide a more positive engagement than typical L shaped wrenches.
Old 01-21-08, 05:16 PM
Don777

Bikes: Cannondale R600 and Beater MTB

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Yes, it is an 11 MM. The Park site said a Shimano hub would be 10 and some others will be an 11. I tried the 10, but it was too small so I ordered an 11 from my hardware store. The 11 fits good.
I may try the vise method as suggested by Mr. Brown and if that does not easily/comfortably remove the pin, I will take Mr. Brown's advice and try to flush it out while still on the hub. Again, thanks
Old 01-21-08, 05:27 PM
tellyho
Your mom

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd definitely just leave it on there and flush.