Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Options for fitting a 6 speed hub to dropouts designed for 7 speed

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-22-08, 04:57 PM
py272

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I picked up an older Specialized Hard Rock mountain bike that was missing wheels as I had some wheels laying around. The front wheel fitted but the back wheel had a large gap between the rear dropouts and the hub axle nuts. I then realized that my wheel was an older model with a six speed freewheel and I think the spacing between the dropouts of the Hardrock is designed for a 7 speed axle. Not wanting to buy another wheel, I was wondering what are my options.

Can I just add spacers to my current 6 speed wheel? Would this create another other problems?

Thanks
Old 01-22-08, 06:07 PM
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: https://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by py272
I picked up an older Specialized Hard Rock mountain bike that was missing wheels as I had some wheels laying around. The front wheel fitted but the back wheel had a large gap between the rear dropouts and the hub axle nuts. I then realized that my wheel was an older model with a six speed freewheel and I think the spacing between the dropouts of the Hardrock is designed for a 7 speed axle. Not wanting to buy another wheel, I was wondering what are my options.

Can I just add spacers to my current 6 speed wheel?
Yes. Add the spacers to the left side, then re-dish the wheel (this will make the wheel stronger.)

Sheldon "https://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing" Brown
Old 01-22-08, 06:33 PM
py272

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sheldon_brown,

Thanks for the reply but I was wondering why just to the left side and not equally to both sides. I am thinking if I add an equal size to each side I would not need to redish the wheel. And if I decide to use a 7 speed freewheel, would adding just the spacer on the left side cause the freewheel to be too close to the right dropout?

Thanks
Old 01-23-08, 01:27 AM
tengu
Igor

Bikes: peugeot fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
py272, your frame spacing should measure 130 or 135mm. Your wheel will measure 126 or 130mm at the locknuts. Right? If your frame is a good distance off from this you need to cold set it (bend). The Hardrock frame is super strong and can handle this a few times. Bend the rear triangle (with the help of your lbs of course) to the same size as your rear hub. That 6 speed wheel is plenty strong and if it's old you don't want to mess with it too much.
Old 01-23-08, 05:18 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Well, adding spacers to the left side only allows you to redish the wheel for reduced dish and this yields a stronger more reliable wheel. Also the shifting performance and range won't be compromised. The swing of the RD may not be enough if you try to center the wheel with spacers equally on both sides.