Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

seat that won't cause "women problems"

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-08, 09:06 AM
rustmyrtle

Bikes: 48cm gitane reynolds 501 road bike; 1992 specialized rockhopper with slicks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So my husband and I just finished the Allegheny and C&O Canal trails--Pittsburgh to Washington DC. It was our first time doing a multi-day distance trip.

By the time I got to DC, I had an advanced case of what I think is called vulvitis (men, cover your ears).

Women out there, any suggestions about what seat to get that's not too weird that won't cause this?

Thanks so much,
Kristin
Old 08-14-08, 07:30 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Welcome to BF, hey, I asked some of the female mods to chime in and to let the women's forum know about this post. If you want access to the women's forum, contact Donnamb via pm.

Old 08-14-08, 07:32 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello Kristin, my stock answer is to try to find the Specialized Dolce saddle. It has a cut out, and it's been the most comfortable saddle I have ever used (until I got the Brooks Imperial, but that's not yet available to the public). My Dolce Elite came equiped with that particular saddle, and I have bought several more through eBay because I love it so.

East Hill
Old 08-16-08, 12:06 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
1. Make sure your bicycle fits.

2. Buy a hard saddle, like a Brooks.

3. Work on your core ... do crunches, build up your ab and back muscles.

4. Perch on the saddle ... in other words, tuck your pelvis under and suck your abs in when you ride. You need a strong core to do this properly and comfortably.

Do all that and the area you're referring to will barely come in contact with the saddle.
Old 08-16-08, 08:09 AM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why is there a secret woman's only forum???
Are bikeforum member THAT immature that they can't handle questions like this?
Or are the female bikeforum members to girly and sensitive to handle comments from the aforementioned immature males?

My wife couldn't give a crap about internet forums, she's much too busy with real life for that. But I sure wouldn't mind being able to find answers to stuff like this for her sake.

Grow up, people.
Old 08-16-08, 09:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by d2create
Sadly ....... yes.

Keep in mind that a large percentage of the male members here are high school and college kids.
Old 08-16-08, 02:07 PM
JusticeZero
Rider

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm sure if saddles had more tendency to abuse the toolbag and lumber in various ways, the guys would have a good reason to have a restricted forum for it. Reasonable enough?
Old 08-16-08, 02:21 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back to the topic, and I'd suggest Terry Fly saddles. Just the right degree of firmness, and a nice cutout to avoid pressure on those sensitive bits that could really do without pressure. But every backside is different. Most bike shops will have a return policy of some sort that allows you to try out a saddle for a bit, and if you don't like it you can change it for something else.
Old 08-16-08, 05:07 PM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone is different, so a saddle that works for me might be horrible for you. You just have to try them out. Machka's suggestions are imperative to comfort, too. I have a Terry Butterfly, which I find very comfortable. I have one on each of my three bikes. I've also had each of my bikes professionally fit to me, and I'm a big fan of Pilates.
Old 08-16-08, 09:27 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JusticeZero
I'm sure if saddles had more tendency to abuse the toolbag and lumber in various ways, the guys would have a good reason to have a restricted forum for it. Reasonable enough?
huh??? I see posts about numb twigs and berries all the time.
Why would that need a restricted forum?
So is that all that's in the women's forum... posts about abused v-jay's?
Maybe there should be a special 'private parts' forum moderate by howard stern.
Old 08-16-08, 10:05 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
huh??? I see posts about numb twigs and berries all the time.
Why would that need a restricted forum?
So is that all that's in the women's forum... posts about abused v-jay's?
Maybe there should be a special 'private parts' forum moderate by howard stern.
How does this help the poster with her saddle issue?

I'm another one that give props to the Brooks Imperial. I'm hoping the women's version will be available soon. I'm betting that it would be wonderful since the men's version really doesn't fail to prove itself.

Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-16-08, 10:05 PM
mark9950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dont get a hard saddle.
Old 08-16-08, 10:09 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Why not? It's has helped me tremendously. I have to sit positioned differently because of my bulging disks.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-16-08, 10:56 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by mark9950
Dont get a hard saddle.
Yes, DO get a hard saddle.

Don't get one of those soft gel saddles ... OUCH!!
Old 08-16-08, 10:59 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Incidentally ... how are your padded cycle shorts? Are they getting a little bit loose and baggy after using them on your tour?

The one and only incident I had, similar to yours, I was wearing lycra shorts which were a bit old and had become a bit baggy .... I was using a gel saddle .... and I was riding in pouring rain. BAD combination!
Old 08-17-08, 07:37 AM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
How does this help the poster with her saddle issue?
Anything I would have suggested has already been said, and since I don't have women parts it would be a guess on my part which is not helpful at all. Plus, if the uber hush hush secret ladies forum was available to everyone, she might have been able to find the answer to her question much easier.
Old 08-17-08, 09:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Anything I would have suggested has already been said, and since I don't have women parts it would be a guess on my part which is not helpful at all. Plus, if the uber hush hush secret ladies forum was available to everyone, she might have been able to find the answer to her question much easier.

1) If you didn't have anything helpful to say, or anything to say about the topic at hand, why did you respond?

2) She got the answer ... quite easily. Now we'll just wait and see if my suggestions improve her situation.
Old 08-17-08, 12:00 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Go cry in a corner somewhere else. You've been a member of this forum since April 2003 before the Women's Forum was restricted, and it was restricted largely because of the behaviour of immature, college/gutter males who haven't passed puberty and probably haven't had a meaningful relationship with a woman yet. Most everyone who's been here since then couldn't care less now.
Old 08-17-08, 12:10 PM
desederada

Bikes: Gary Fisher Marlin GS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So where is this women's forum?
Old 08-17-08, 12:13 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by desederada
So where is this women's forum?
Send Donna a pm. She has the keys.
Old 08-17-08, 01:54 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unfortunately, enough members are such that there has been a need for a restricted forum for the last 4 years.

Grow up, people.
I agree! I wish they would.

I am leaving this thread here for a little while longer because it's generated a lot of messages from women I didn't know existed. If you sent me a message and did not get a reply this afternoon, please message me again. We just experienced a power surge, and I'm pretty sure at least one message got deleted before I had a chance to change user permissions.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 08-17-08, 05:45 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
1) If you didn't have anything helpful to say, or anything to say about the topic at hand, why did you respond?
Because I can. Woohoo!
Old 08-17-08, 05:46 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by donnamb
Unfortunately, enough members are such that there has been a need for a restricted forum for the last 4 years.
That's too bad. I say we weed them all out. Thin out bikeforums a little bit... some spring cleaning if you will.
Old 08-17-08, 05:49 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rowan
Go cry in a corner somewhere else. You've been a member of this forum since April 2003 before the Women's Forum was restricted, and it was restricted largely because of the behaviour of immature, college/gutter males who haven't passed puberty and probably haven't had a meaningful relationship with a woman yet. Most everyone who's been here since then couldn't care less now.
2 months before you! ha! Kneel before me, newb!
Old 08-18-08, 08:45 AM
rustmyrtle

Bikes: 48cm gitane reynolds 501 road bike; 1992 specialized rockhopper with slicks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. And I was surprised at the women's only forum ....

I actually had a real problem finding bike shorts--I'm tiny (wear a size 0 - 2) and couldn't find any xs sizes in the stores. I ordered some online but they were still a little big.

The full cut out seats look great. Right now on my regular commuter bike (a raleigh mixte frame single speed) I have one of the cut out seats from Dick's Sports. It's better, but doesn't have the full cut out. I just put one of those on my road bike (a 1980s Gitane--yes, I have really classy bikes. I did the 184.5 mile C&O canal trail on a 20 year old pink and purple roadmaster) because was in so much pain from the recent tour that even a 35 mile weekend ride was terrible. Is there really big difference between the full cut out and the little hole in the seat from Dick Sports?

And about the strong core/hard seat thing ..... I used to be a professional dancer and still take ballet class / modern class a couple times a week so have a pretty strong core and generally prefer the hard seats. Maybe that was my problem on this recent tour--the pink/purple roadmaster has a bell gel seat of some sort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.