Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 41 refugee thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 10:09 AM
NickDavid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadiejorge
Yeah I saw you mention that in another thread, I wonder if it was one of the less experienced guys because I only know a small group of them mainly the guys at the front of the pack who are racers/ex-racers. We're riding out to New Hope, PA from Newark which is about 112 miles RT or something to that effect. I'm considering joining the group because I don't want to keep latching on without being a part of it, my hesitation has been not being able to commit to going on all of their rides but one of the leaders said it wouldn't be a problem and he'd like me to join so I think I will.
Sounds awesome! If I didn't have plans on Sunday, I would join you.
Old 08-04-10, 10:10 AM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ijen0311
OK, here's one I don't get.

I have these pedals on my bike and I'm always being told to change them. I like them and they work for me. What's the downside to them?

Those are road spd's so if you want to keep using them then feel free..advantages:

Cleat will last forever.
Bullet proof
You can use mtb shoes
easier to walk in.
Disadvantages:
Heavy
Can't adjust float
Old 08-04-10, 10:11 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by jwible
bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?41-Road-Cycling

Each forum has an ID number in the URL. 41 is Road Cycling. 33 is Road Racing.
Ah yes. Don't I feel foolish. Actually, I'd been wondering that for some time, so I'm glad I found out.
Old 08-04-10, 10:17 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich
Give me your Freds, your ill-adorned,
Your huddled Posers yearning to drink expensive coffee,
The wretched refuse of your C rides on Sunday morn'.
Send these, the clueless, hammerfest-tost to me,
I lift my CO2 pump beside the Starbucks door!

-Emma Lazarus

but Jorge, you do realize that your internet handle might be 33-cized, right?
ftfy

well it hasn't been thus far but we'll take it one step at a time.
Old 08-04-10, 10:23 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge
ftfy

well it hasn't been thus far but we'll take it one step at a time.
very well done. all you need know is to take credit for it
Old 08-04-10, 10:25 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Everyone wants to know, but apparently I'm the only one willing to ask: what the heck did you do to Mr. Beanz? And no playing coy. Out with it, young man!

Oh yeah, did you check your bars after your crash? No need to repeat the snapped bar incident.
Old 08-04-10, 10:26 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Those are road spd's so if you want to keep using them then feel free..advantages:

Cleat will last forever.
Bullet proof
You can use mtb shoes
easier to walk in.
Disadvantages:
Heavy
Can't adjust float
I'll add an advantage for tri-geeks: mtb shoes are much easier to run in --- which is a plus if your event has a big transition area. If you do a short course with a big field, it could make a difference.
Old 08-04-10, 10:28 AM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I'll add an advantage for tri-geeks: mtb shoes are much easier to run in --- which is a plus if your event has a big transition area. If you do a short course with a big field, it could make a difference.
I have tri shoes currently. I love them! They ventilate nicely during hot rides.

Old 08-04-10, 10:40 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo

Cleat will last forever.
Bullet proof
You can use mtb shoes
easier to walk in.
Disadvantages:
Heavy
Can't adjust float
Another disadvantage is the contact area is so small and concentrated, it feels like a lump in the bottom of your foot.
Old 08-04-10, 10:50 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Another disadvantage is the contact area is so small and concentrated, it feels like a lump in the bottom of your foot.
With stiff shoes you won't really feel the cleat.

I use really stiff MTB shoes on my MTB with Crankbrothers pedals, and I never feel the cleat. Not that easy to walk in, but great for pedaling.
Old 08-04-10, 10:53 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
refresh me on bar tape wrapping, clockwise on the right, counterclockwise on the left --but is this from standing in front of the bike, or straddling the top-tube?
There's a simple way to remember. You want the tape wrapped so that you won't unravel it while you ride. This means that when riding in the tops, the bar tape goes over the top away from you, and under the bar towards you.

In the drops they go over the top to the outside of the bike. Just think about putting your hands on the bars and how they're likely to move as you ride. Your hands tend to move away from the bike always.
Old 08-04-10, 11:07 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure
Why do I see a lot of racer guys wearing full fingered gloves in the summer?
Originally Posted by bcellis
I noticed a bunch of guys wearing them in crits this spring... still not 100% sure why either.
Just for added finger protection. I don't wear them myself (though at crits and on the track I do wear a set of Ironclad fingerless gloves which protect the hand better than your typical cycling gloves), but I understand why. In my last crash, my fingertips got a bit torn up. Nothing serious, but a PITA for a few days until they healed up. You don't see them in road races much simply because full fingered gloves are too hot.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 08-04-10, 11:14 AM
mrbUSA

Bikes: Scott CR1 Home Spun

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Big fan of the 33 here [in a lurking capacity only]. Thanks for letting me post. I want to get faster to get into group rides but I'm intimidated greatly because I can't or just don't think I can hang. Need a sampling of advice that does not include HTFU.

Thanks, Mike
Old 08-04-10, 11:19 AM
Out-The-Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone with roadrash on the tops of my knuckles right now, I'm definitely thinking about better gloves with a bit more protection for the next race.
Old 08-04-10, 11:25 AM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbUSA
Big fan of the 33 here [in a lurking capacity only]. Thanks for letting me post. I want to get faster to get into group rides but I'm intimidated greatly because I can't or just don't think I can hang. Need a sampling of advice that does not include HTFU.

Thanks, Mike
At the top of the 33 there is a workout recipe sticky. Look through it and you'll see some great workout that will make you stronger but entail suffering. Tabatas and ZeCannon intervals are my workouts of choice. And it's true, if you are slower than the group the only way to hang is to get stronger which means pushing harder i.e. HTFU.

-- Edit --

If you don't have a power meter you go by HR or perceived effort. TrainingPeaks.com should have good info on finding HR based zones and probably a description. FTP in general is the maximum steady state effort you can endure for 20 minutes. Do a 20 minute time trial, monitor your HR. That's your FTP. Base workouts on that number

Last edited by jwible; 08-04-10 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-04-10, 11:25 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Crashing a granfondo

There is an organized ride coming up from Vancouver to Whistler (Whistler GranFondo) on a scenic stretch of highway. They will be closing a lane and providing feed and aid stations along the way. The ride is full and cost was around $175.

What are your thoughts on doing the ride and enjoying the closed lane but not using any of the support? I have several friends who are planning to do this. I like the idea of a dedicated lane but have no interest in stopping at the feed stations.
Old 08-04-10, 11:30 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
There is an organized ride coming up from Vancouver to Whistler (Whistler GranFondo) on a scenic stretch of highway. They will be closing a lane and providing feed and aid stations along the way. The ride is full and cost was around $175.

What are your thoughts on doing the ride and enjoying the closed lane but not using any of the support? I have several friends who are planning to do this. I like the idea of a dedicated lane but have no interest in stopping at the feed stations.

This is typically frowned upon.
Old 08-04-10, 11:31 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83

It's poaching.

The organizer have permits for X number of riders, for which they have to pay for police, road closure, insurance, etc. If more show up the permitting organization may notice and get the organizer in trouble. Its hard enough getting people to put on rides without that hassle too. Sign up or do something else that day.

^^
better response from Eric, below.

Last edited by Ygduf; 08-04-10 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-04-10, 11:44 AM
mrbUSA

Bikes: Scott CR1 Home Spun

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jwible
At the top of the 33 there is a workout recipe sticky. Look through it and you'll see some great workout that will make you stronger but entail suffering. Tabatas and ZeCannon intervals are my workouts of choice. And it's true, if you are slower than the group the only way to hang is to get stronger which means pushing harder i.e. HTFU.

-- Edit --

If you don't have a power meter you go by HR or perceived effort. TrainingPeaks.com should have good info on finding HR based zones and probably a description. FTP in general is the maximum steady state effort you can endure for 20 minutes. Do a 20 minute time trial, monitor your HR. That's your FTP. Base workouts on that number
Thank you for your information. I have an HRM and usually blow it out of the zone on each and every ride. I don't think I am terribly out of shape at all but my HR is huge compared to what it is "supposed to be."

I will check out the sticky.

M
Old 08-04-10, 11:45 AM
timster
ɹǝʇsɯıʇ

Bikes: 2011 Focus Whistler // 2011 Cannondale CAAD10 // 2009 Scattante XRL TT // 1993 Cannondale R400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are the little screws that hold brake pad cartridges in place really necessary?

I have gone several rides without them and didn't notice any problem. The pads already fit pretty snug. Not having them makes pad swaps a little less annoying.
Old 08-04-10, 11:48 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrbUSA
Thank you for your information. I have an HRM and usually blow it out of the zone on each and every ride. I don't think I am terribly out of shape at all but my HR is huge compared to what it is "supposed to be."

I will check out the sticky.

M
Don't compare your heart rate to others. Find your lthr and base your zones off of that.
Old 08-04-10, 11:50 AM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timster

I have gone several rides without them and didn't notice any problem. The pads already fit pretty snug. Not having them makes pad swaps a little less annoying.
That's a risk you shouldn't be willing to take. I would put those screws back in.
Old 08-04-10, 11:53 AM
timster
ɹǝʇsɯıʇ

Bikes: 2011 Focus Whistler // 2011 Cannondale CAAD10 // 2009 Scattante XRL TT // 1993 Cannondale R400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well if there is any risk, I will put them back in. I'm wondering if there is any risk, or if they are just "lawyer tabs" for brakes.
Old 08-04-10, 11:57 AM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Do external bearing bottom brackets work on older steel frames with english threaded bottom brackets? I'm trying to build a cheap racing bike and am looking for some kind of cheap crankset + bb on ebay.
Old 08-04-10, 11:59 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by timster

If you roll backwards and apply the brakes you can yank them out. I don't run them in my TT stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.