Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

small Miyata - worth looking into?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 08:15 PM
xanthochrome

Bikes: circa 1984 Mark Nobilette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
small Miyata - worth looking into?

I know it has some sort of odd shifters, which aren't ideal, but my BF is 5'4" with short legs: would it be worth looking into? It's on the pricey side ($180), but I know that it's harder/more expensive to get small frames.

You have to see this bike to appreciate it's quality. perfect for someone 4'9-5'5"
unique shifters.
shimano biospace cranks.
double walled alex rims.
frame was made in japan using machinery for making gun barrels.
everything is original except for the seat and wheels(which are an upgrade).
12 speed. index shifters. rides very nice. no work needed on the bike.
********emails with phone numbers get higher priority

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
miyata cl..jpg (61.9 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by xanthochrome; 09-08-10 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-08-10, 09:06 PM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Nearly impossible to know what is being advertised.
Could be a great deal, if the tubes on THIS bike are triple-butted chromoly with the helix formed tubes. That would be a higher end Miyata.

What does "emails with phone numbers get higher priority" mean?
Old 09-08-10, 09:08 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Who knows without any pictures, a model number, or anything useful. Good to know the same machine made gun barrels, but some information about the bike itself would be more useful.

It all depends on condition, size (fit), model and components. I would not consider $180 to be on the pricey side of vintage bikes. A lot of Miyatas are easily worth $180 or more, and some are not.

I can tell you for sure, a bike that fits someone 4-9 WILL NOT fit someone 5-5.
Old 09-08-10, 09:08 PM
xanthochrome

Originally Posted by David Newton
Nearly impossible to know what is being advertised.
Could be a great deal, if the tubes on THIS bike are triple-butted chromoly with the helix formed tubes. That would be a higher end Miyata.

What does "emails with phone numbers get higher priority" mean?
How can you tell if it is the chromoly? Do you just have to know a serial number and search, or is there a way to tell from looking?

And I assume he means that if you give him your phone number, he likes you better.
Old 09-08-10, 09:13 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Originally Posted by xanthochrome
How can you tell if it is the chromoly? Do you just have to know a serial number and search, or is there a way to tell from looking?

And I assume he means that if you give him your phone number, he likes you better.
You go look at it in person. Focus on fit first, then pick up the bike (is it heavy), condition (rust, etc), then look for decals on construction. Read up on the online Miyata catalogs to prepare yourself. They have pics of all of the models, and the decals.

Don't expect to get very far until you see the bike in person.

Yes, sellers are often pestered by emails from people that are not serious buyers. Provide a phone number, have a conversation, inspect the bike in person.

An educated buyer will get the best deals. Spend some time on google, looking at catalogs (on line), etc.

And it is really best to know the size that fits your BF first, and how to measure size on bikes. Ads rarely get sizing information correct.
Old 09-08-10, 09:15 PM
xanthochrome

Originally Posted by wrk101
Who knows without any pictures, a model number, or anything useful. Good to know the same machine made gun barrels, but some information about the bike itself would be more useful.

It all depends on condition, size (fit), model and components. I would not consider $180 to be on the pricey side of vintage bikes. A lot of Miyatas are easily worth $180 or more, and some are not.

I can tell you for sure, a bike that fits someone 4-9 WILL NOT fit someone 5-5.
Yeah, I know it isn't actually pricey, but for not having any idea what it is, it could be. I should have been more clear. For some reason the picture didn't upload - I just did it from my computer, so hopefully that will help.

I know that frame sizes don't have that much range - if it's worth it, we'll just have to look in person and check it out.

edit: it looks like it's a 1989 Miyata 110 - so a lower-end model does that change anything?

Last edited by xanthochrome; 09-08-10 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-08-10, 10:31 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Yep, a 1989 110 is at the lower end, still decent, but low end. Price is kind of strong for a 110. You have to decide how hard you want to look, and how much you want to spend.

It came with goofy handlebar shifters, I do not care for them. Personally, I would aim higher, but I am patient (it took me two years to find my Prologue, and I had it shipped from UT to the Carolinas).

This bike does not have the better tubing we were discussing above. It has "Special Steel Tubes" code for high ten steel. One model up (the 112) came with full cromoly frame.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-08-10 at 10:34 PM.