Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New Embarrassed Rider

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 04:05 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamejedi
Glad I read this. I'm 350# and share just about every anxiety posted here. I'm bike shopping anyway. Thank you all for the inspiration!
Buy whatever bike you feel comfortable with. Road test a bunch of them. Flat bar and Drop bar. And different brands.

Buy some bike shorts. If you feel a little uncomfortable with the Lycra, then buy some MTB shorts that have lycra underneath and a shell that looks like regular shorts. Then when they start getting uncomfortable as you increase your distance, go out and buy the lycra shorts with a good chamois.

You have to start riding a bike at some weight. And the sooner you start riding, the sooner you can start losing some of that weight. But remember that weight loss still comes from limiting what you eat. Biking just lets you eat a little more, depending upon how much you are riding. Just don't eat more than you're burning off.

Have fun riding.

GH
Old 11-05-15, 05:25 PM
LOF1

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi!

My cycling "career" ground to a halt for a while. I gave my two bikes to a friend who was really down on her luck - she sold one to fix her truck, and will be riding the other (she's in poor shape). I hear she's just got a great new job, so that should perk her up some - steady income, fewer money worries, health care partially subsidized...

Have just purchased a 2016 Giant Roam 2 (HATE the blue color, but whatcha gonna do?) - hopefully the Schrader valves will be easier for my clumsy hands to handle.

Not a ton of good weather remaining this fall, but I'll be getting out whenever I can. As well, am doing 2-4 days at the local Fitness Center for 45-60 minutes (recumbent bike, weight machines). Am 6'1" and roughly 270 pounds.

Happy cycling, all!
Old 01-04-16, 07:45 AM
customsound79
Twitching Dead Elephant

Bikes: Kona Zone Two, Giant Contend, Polygon Path 3, Specialized Enduro 29

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to be embarrassed. Now I think my 3 year old is the only shy one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5782.jpg (102.0 KB, 861 views)
Old 01-11-16, 03:43 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
I have wonderfully violent fantasies in response to rude drivers, no matter why they were rude. I have this vision of a band of fat and old and middle-aged ladies carrying automatic weapons and dealing out justice wherever we go. Think Kathy Bates as batman and goldfinch as robin.
GF; 1) Generally it is best position to "Reply in Kind" meaning that a rude driver gets a stern stare and a few choice curse words regarding his wife's fat ass. 2) If the rider shoots at you with a real gun, then its time to think about how to escape the situation and live to fight another day (and to get the license number to the police asap). Getting into a "bike vs car/truck gun battle" with a armed zealot is not likely to end well for the cyclist. Very well likely also that the shooter might be a kid in the back seat with toy gun reenacting one of the many video games geared it seems only to lowering the inhibitions to escalation of its players. 3) Just because the shooter missed you the first shot does not mean he/she will miss on their second round which gave you time to ponder a return fire. Return to #2 .

While I am very firm proponent of the 2nd Amendment... survival to fight on is really best strategy in the given scenario.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-28-16, 12:32 PM
Jason9142002

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Cannondale Trail 6, Fuji Track Bike, Giant OCR

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Pub,
I am 325. I ride all different kinds of bikes. I am not fast either. I have a road bike and I just did my first ride of the year. 20 miles and there was a little bit of wind. I used to feel that people were looking at me too but I try to stay focused. I broke a rim before on my road bike. I was not worried about looking bad, I was worried about getting me and my bike home. I see plenty of bigger people riding. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-26-16, 05:26 AM
riley23

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjenn Metro 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really love all of the success, encouragement, and confidence in this thread. I am a beginner, haven't ridden in years. So for now I decided I would start out on a trainer for a bit. I've always been extremely self conscious and if I start riding outside when I am not completely comfortable, I don't think i'd stick to it for very long. Hopefully, within the next couple months, I'll build up some confidence because there are a bunch of biking events in NYC that I'd love to give a go.
Old 03-29-16, 08:58 AM
SavageSam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riley23
I really love all of the success, encouragement, and confidence in this thread. I am a beginner, haven't ridden in years. So for now I decided I would start out on a trainer for a bit. I've always been extremely self conscious and if I start riding outside when I am not completely comfortable, I don't think i'd stick to it for very long. Hopefully, within the next couple months, I'll build up some confidence because there are a bunch of biking events in NYC that I'd love to give a go.
Don't worry (I know, easy for ME to say) you will notice after you get out there people are NOT looking at you.
Old 03-29-16, 11:54 AM
customsound79
Twitching Dead Elephant

Bikes: Kona Zone Two, Giant Contend, Polygon Path 3, Specialized Enduro 29

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know how it is in NY, but the only negative comment I heard was from loser freeloaders hanging around a car wash. Cyclists are much more eager to see you succeed. Find a ride for beginners and jump in! Personally, I actually prefer to ride 2 hours in pouring rain than 10 min on a trainer. I know we are all different, but don't let the trainer be the sum of your cycling experience before you jump in with some folks. You will make so much more progress by just getting out there. Good luck!!
Old 03-30-16, 05:46 AM
riley23

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjenn Metro 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by customsound79
I don't know how it is in NY, but the only negative comment I heard was from loser freeloaders hanging around a car wash. Cyclists are much more eager to see you succeed. Find a ride for beginners and jump in! Personally, I actually prefer to ride 2 hours in pouring rain than 10 min on a trainer. I know we are all different, but don't let the trainer be the sum of your cycling experience before you jump in with some folks. You will make so much more progress by just getting out there. Good luck!!
Ahh yes. I'm actually starting to realize how insanely boring being on a trainer for any length of time is. I think I'll just go for it now, if I stay inside on the trainer I think I'd just lose motivation.
Thank you so much!
Old 03-30-16, 09:18 AM
SavageSam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ahh yes. I'm actually starting to realize how insanely boring being on a trainer for any length of time is. I think i'll just go for it now, if i stay inside on the trainer i think i'd just lose motivation.
Thank you so much!
right on!!!!
Old 04-19-16, 08:55 PM
efatras

Bikes: Cannondale Althea 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I'm Elizabeth. I'm 5'4" and weigh in at 255. I dropped 15 lbs recently. Just purchased a cannondale Althea 2 and am looking to lose at least 100 lbs. I'm uncomfortable in my own skin and am terrified of getting made fun of while trying to improve my health. I'm embarrassed because the gear shows my flab but I'm excited to take better care of myself and get fit.
Old 04-19-16, 09:00 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
What Color is your bike?

Old 04-19-16, 10:10 PM
bransom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, Elizabeth. Don't worry about getting made fun of — most people are so wrapped in their own world that they'll never notice. If someone does notice, so what. Remember, you're actually out there *doing something about it.* You could be sitting on your sofa eating chips but you're not. Chin up and just keep riding.
Old 04-20-16, 07:18 AM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by efatras
Hi I'm Elizabeth. I'm 5'4" and weigh in at 255. I dropped 15 lbs recently. Just purchased a cannondale Althea 2 and am looking to lose at least 100 lbs. I'm uncomfortable in my own skin and am terrified of getting made fun of while trying to improve my health. I'm embarrassed because the gear shows my flab but I'm excited to take better care of myself and get fit.
Don't let the possibility of some people being inconsiderate stand in the way of improving your health. Join a site like Strava, follow other riders, give them kudos, and they'll give some back. It gives you a boost when you need one.
Old 04-20-16, 07:17 PM
efatras

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing and for your advice. I will definitely follow it
Old 04-20-16, 07:19 PM
efatras

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
Buy whatever bike you feel comfortable with. Road test a bunch of them. Flat bar and Drop bar. And different brands.

Buy some bike shorts. If you feel a little uncomfortable with the Lycra, then buy some MTB shorts that have lycra underneath and a shell that looks like regular shorts. Then when they start getting uncomfortable as you increase your distance, go out and buy the lycra shorts with a good chamois.

You have to start riding a bike at some weight. And the sooner you start riding, the sooner you can start losing some of that weight. But remember that weight loss still comes from limiting what you eat. Biking just lets you eat a little more, depending upon how much you are riding. Just don't eat more than you're burning off.

Have fun riding.

GH
thanks for sharing. Glad I read this. I needed to hear this too
Old 04-20-16, 07:24 PM
efatras

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bransom
Hi, Elizabeth. Don't worry about getting made fun of — most people are so wrapped in their own world that they'll never notice. If someone does notice, so what. Remember, you're actually out there *doing something about it.* You could be sitting on your sofa eating chips but you're not. Chin up and just keep riding.
thanks!! so true!!
Old 04-20-16, 07:25 PM
efatras

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
What Color is your bike?
Its Grey. It's beautiful. I love it
Old 04-21-16, 06:50 PM
SavageSam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by efatras
YOU GO GIRL!!!!! Don't ever let someone else dictate the fun you can have! Ride on! Let this be YOUR year!
Old 04-21-16, 07:03 PM
efatras

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageSam
YOU GO GIRL!!!!! Don't ever let someone else dictate the fun you can have! Ride on! Let this be YOUR year!
Thanks for the encouragement!!
Old 04-23-16, 05:08 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'me not the thinnest guy around either. I know my weight's a bit more than it should be and i'm dedicating to get out for a decent length ride at least every other day.
I'm really fortunate because in about 10 minutes riding East or South, 15 minutes riding West and 25 minutes riding North will get me out of town an onto nice country roads with varied scenery. Some roads are asphalt and some are dirt or gravel. Some roads are gently rolling and others have some very steep but fairly short hills. Then there are the rail-trails but I tend to avoid them because of dog walkers etcetera.

I see lots of people out and about on bicycles and many of those people are rather stout. My thoughts aboutthem are that hopefully they are enjoying their ride. If I see them at the side of the road i'll slow or stop and make sure they and/or their bicycle are okay. It's great to see anyone on a bicycle no matter how slow they may be riding it or how they look whilst doing it. The MOST IMPORTANT things are that they are getting exercise and that they are enjoying themselves.

Cheers
Old 04-24-16, 04:26 PM
Yunko Rista

Bikes: '16 Specialized Roll Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 290 and back on a bike for the first time in probably 30 years. I always admired seeing people my size exercising, swimming, in a kayak, power walking, etc.

Righteous folk will admire you. Hold your head up, look people in the eye with confidence, and rock out.
Old 05-11-16, 11:46 AM
amchef

Bikes: Felt Z3, Rocky Mountain Vertex 950

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm late to the game and admit I didn't read through all 21 pages, so I imagine this has been noted any number of times but it always is worth noting again:

Ride in an event. You will see EVERY imaginable outfit, bike, body and age. I'm a clyde, my wife is not, but she is self-conscious come this bike stuff. Still prefers mtb shorts or knickers over her chamois, where as I just brazenly squeeze myself into XXL or XXXL bibs and a Voler XXXL jersey (You want to avert your eyes? Make a joke? Go ahead. I like the comfort and you're the arse in the car.) Anyway, we got her into riding around home and then baby-stepped her into her first event at last year's Patriot Ride in the desert. She was all nerves. So we pulled in that morning to the fairgrounds, people were riding in and pulling bikes off racks and she started to notice ... EVERY imaginable outfit, bike, body and age. She's now done three such events since October and bought her first Izumi jersey last week! She's a plodder, she looks around, and is having a ball.

As every other post is saying, just be you, that's all that matters!
Old 07-28-16, 07:43 PM
cyclobear

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not new to BF or even the Clyde/Athena section but it's been about two years since I've been active on my bike. I've put on a lot of weight and I'm probably hovering around 300 lbs. I'm 5'11". Just feeling like crud in almost every other facet of my life except for cycling. I love everything about it if I can just get through the darkness I've faced the past 12 months. I'm so proud of everyone in this sub-forum and cheering for all of you. I'm tired, exhausted, and hurting emotionally and just trying to find the will to get back on the bike after making an upcoming move. Have my eye on a custom frame some day when I lean out. Thanks for reading and appreciate this place a lot.
Old 07-29-16, 12:37 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
@cyclobear - I know it's easy to say, but just get on the bike and go for a ride, any ride. For me it only takes a couple miles before the endorphins start in. The worse I feel when I start, the bigger the turnaround when I get a few miles down the road on my bike.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.