Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Camp Pendleton closed to cyclists now?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-13, 01:21 PM
Carloswithac
Certifiably crazy!

Bikes: Felt Z5, Edict 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was coming back through Pendleton from San Onofre and the Marine at the entrance told me they are no longer allowing bicyclists through the base after today. Has anyone heard anything about it? I don't see it on their site. I go through Pendleton once every couple of months, so its no big deal to me. Just passing along information.

Carlos
Old 07-07-13, 02:02 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
That's not good. It will force us onto the freeway.
Old 07-07-13, 02:03 PM
MoreBlackSwan

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 5, 90's Scott Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang, was doing to head through there next month on a la to sd ride. Any idea if this is just a temporary closure?
Old 07-07-13, 06:21 PM
robertkat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hmm. No surprise there. I never go through the base anyhow. I find using I5 to be safer and easier. Just bring an earplug for the noise and you'll be fine.
Old 07-07-13, 11:35 PM
John R
so cal com

Bikes: Trek hybrid commuter, Specialized Tarmac, Cannondale Cad 6, Shwinn Homegrown MB, Specialized FSR MB Cannondale Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's nothing like a tractor trailer passing you at 70 mph!!!
Old 07-08-13, 07:21 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Bummer! I hope not. I don't mind riding South on the 5, but riding North in all that exhaust is for the birds.
And I disagree that riding on the Interstate is safer--it's faster, but much less pleasant than riding through P'ton.
Old 07-08-13, 09:25 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Fewf! I just spoke with the Provost Marshal Desk Sergeant and he said civilian cyclists are indeed still permitted through. Perhaps the Marine gate guard meant that no more cyclists would be allowed for the rest of the day? After dark, they don't let us through, so if it was getting late, perhaps that's what he meant?

Just a reminder to bring your drivers license or other ID, wear a helmet, ride only on Stuart Mesa Road, and please ride politely on Pendleton. It's not a public road and we're permitted through there at the Post Commanding General's pleasure. If enough of us "take a lane", throw our Gu packets on the side of the road, run stop signs, or engage in rude behavior, we all get the boot, and we're stuck riding on the interstate with the texting, 90+mph luxury SUVs.
Old 07-08-13, 09:40 AM
Carloswithac
Certifiably crazy!

Bikes: Felt Z5, Edict 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weird. I passed through around 10:30ish A.M. Thanks for the update.

Originally Posted by calamarichris
Fewf! I just spoke with the Provost Marshal Desk Sergeant and he said civilian cyclists are indeed still permitted through. Perhaps the Marine gate guard meant that no more cyclists would be allowed for the rest of the day? After dark, they don't let us through, so if it was getting late, perhaps that's what he meant?

Just a reminder to bring your drivers license or other ID, wear a helmet, ride only on Stuart Mesa Road, and please ride politely on Pendleton. It's not a public road and we're permitted through there at the Post Commanding General's pleasure. If enough of us "take a lane", throw our Gu packets on the side of the road, run stop signs, or engage in rude behavior, we all get the boot, and we're stuck riding on the interstate with the texting, 90+mph luxury SUVs.
Old 07-08-13, 10:00 PM
cptsilver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does someone have a strava route link handy for a LA - SD ride? I'd like to try it some time.
Old 07-09-13, 12:19 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by cptsilver
Does someone have a strava route link handy for a LA - SD ride? I'd like to try it some time.
Click the blue words above in my previous post. "Stuart Mesa Road."
There's very little climbing, and even fewer stoplights, and even less traffic... it's pretty sweet.

Edit: Where in LA are you coming from? Give us a neighborhood and I'll give you a recommended Gmaps route.

Last edited by calamarichris; 07-09-13 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-09-13, 12:17 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
The base is subject to random closure, either the security misspoke, or was misunderstood. This usually occurs when a 70 mph semi tractor on your left becomes a more attractive alternate to a 70 ton tank screaming straight at you.
Old 07-09-13, 12:24 PM
cptsilver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Click the blue words above in my previous post. "Stuart Mesa Road."
There's very little climbing, and even fewer stoplights, and even less traffic... it's pretty sweet.

Edit: Where in LA are you coming from? Give us a neighborhood and I'll give you a recommended Gmaps route.
I'd most likely take SGRT to Seal Beach and continue from there. Thanks!
Old 07-09-13, 12:30 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
The base is subject to random closure, either the security misspoke, or was misunderstood. This usually occurs when a 70 mph semi tractor on your left becomes a more attractive alternate to a 70 ton tank screaming straight at you.
I've ridden through Pendleton more than 100 times over the years and the only time they've ever refused me passage was immediately after 9/11.
And only seen tanks twice, neither time were they screaming straight at me. (?)
Old 07-09-13, 12:43 PM
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just rode through Camp Pendleton this morning, going both ways. No problem at all.
Old 07-09-13, 12:45 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Thanks for the report Chaco!!

I'd most likely take SGRT to Seal Beach and continue from there. Thanks!
This is the route I'd take, (except I don't mind living dangerously, and I just stay on PCH through Laguna beach, despite the high traffic, parked cars, and lack of bike lane.)
It's a fun route, and you should have a nice quartering tailwind much of the way. Then you can just take your bike on the train back up.
I recently took my bike on the train up to Santa Barbara and rode back down, and was very pleased at how bicycle-friendly California as-a-whole has gotten. It's a very pleasant ride.

Old 07-09-13, 12:53 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I've ridden through Pendleton more than 100 times over the years and the only time they've ever refused me passage was immediately after 9/11.
And only seen tanks twice, neither time were they screaming straight at me. (?)
That's because they close the base to bikes when they do take tracked vehicles on the old coast highway south of the state park. You may have noticed that near the bridge under I-5 there is a turnoff to another bridge into the interior of the base. Look even more closely, and you will see tank tracks.

There was a closure about a month ago where they were transporting supplies by semi truck on that route to the helicopter pads for transport to ships offshore (a VertRep exercise).

The closures are never for more than a day or two, and unless you ride it every freakin day, it is not surprising you have never been turned back. It's simple mathematics (Probability) These closures never amount to more than a few days per year.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 07-09-13 at 01:05 PM. Reason: give it a rest or you'll get your nose rubbed in it.
Old 07-09-13, 01:53 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
The closures are never for more than a day or two, and unless you ride it every freakin day, it is not surprising you have never been turned back. It's simple mathematics (Probability) These closures never amount to more than a few days per year.
Yeah, the Marines probably prefer to train M-F while the rest of us are also working. Almost all of my Pendleton gambols have been on Sat & Sun.
Old 07-09-13, 01:57 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
Sorry no strava from me, but here's an idea if you're not in a hurry...