Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread

Old 10-12-16, 03:59 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
on a sick afternoon, reading this post. this is truth and i'm already feeling better
I'm sorry to hear you're sick, happy you're feeling better, and appreciate the compliment, however, thoughtfulness is Totally pointless, so I invite you to forget my earlier remarks and rather, perhaps, marvel at the vast, borderless expanse of modern steel road bike appreciation possibilities where even wood rims have a happy home! Me? I'm staying busy updating my '74 Motobecane, so really embracing modernity to the fullest. #allbikesmatter
Old 10-12-16, 09:38 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by katzenfinch
Is everyone done bickering yet?

Here’s a photo of my bike. It looks traditional, but the frame and components are new. I like it a lot.

Cool bike. And cool bags, too. Where did you get those?
Old 10-13-16, 08:58 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Originally Posted by Scarbo
Cool bike. And cool bags, too. Where did you get those?
From the early 1900s, perhaps?
Old 10-14-16, 09:58 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I want to know about those cool fenders, too. Did they come with the bike? Katzenfinch, oh katzenfinch, wherefore art thou, katzenfinch?
Old 10-14-16, 06:41 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I want to know about those cool fenders, too. Did they come with the bike? Katzenfinch, oh katzenfinch, wherefore art thou, katzenfinch?
I'm with ya...nothing quite captures the spirit of modernity as much as hand worked metal fenders from those early days of Japan's post WWII recovery era!
Old 10-14-16, 06:57 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Chaadster, so do you know about these types of fenders? Is the tooling a Japanese tradition, then, of that era? I grew up with carbon fiber and I love my CF bikes, but I have to say that I'm totally enchanted by this bike and I love looking at it!
Old 10-14-16, 07:57 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
I want to know about those cool fenders, too.
They're "hammered" fenders. Especially popular on bikes with skinny tubing and subdued colors (browns, marroons), and when you want silver as your component color but don't want to aim the bike at an entirely loud sleek chromed-up look. They're pretty good in terms of not revealing dents and scratches.

I have to say that I'm totally enchanted by this bike and I love looking at it!
Time for you to N+1 a classic-styled 650b steel randonneuring bike!

Last edited by HTupolev; 10-14-16 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-15-16, 02:58 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Chaadster, so do you know about these types of fenders? Is the tooling a Japanese tradition, then, of that era? I grew up with carbon fiber and I love my CF bikes, but I have to say that I'm totally enchanted by this bike and I love looking at it!
I dunno how much I know about the "type," but those look like Honjo fenders to me. Similar styles can be had from producers like Berthoud and Velo Orange. Whomever the producer, the style and tech are decades old; not at all modern in any respect.

That you're enchanted by the bike is fine (I like it, too), but it is the antithesis of modernity, and as such, a shame it was presented in this thread.
Old 10-15-16, 09:43 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I dunno how much I know about the "type," but those look like Honjo fenders to me. Similar styles can be had from producers like Berthoud and Velo Orange. Whomever the producer, the style and tech are decades old; not at all modern in any respect.

That you're enchanted by the bike is fine (I like it, too), but it is the antithesis of modernity, and as such, a shame it was presented in this thread.
*Whoever
Old 10-15-16, 09:57 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by redfooj
*Whoever
Ah yes, thanks for the correction.
Old 10-15-16, 12:05 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Is that the acceptable modern steel grammar? Wouldn't want anything else in This thread. ")
Old 10-15-16, 12:51 PM
Maxacceleration
I like bikes

Bikes: A couple new and a couple old

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster

As the OP originally stated...

Any steel-framed drop bar bike made in 1996 or after is welcome in this thread.

New frame, new components, its a gem!
And yes, pre 1996 design for sure. But hey, the comfort of the bar tape, broken in (hopefully) replica saddle and geometry shouts of modern comfort, for that style of bike!
Nice sum of parts.
My retro bike posted above is also 2010 & newer frame & components.
Individuality is good! Not everyone wants modern steel and aero disc brake wheels, though certainly nice...

I can hear the classic & vintage guys saying; nice new vintage style bike, but its not vintage in any way.

Hmmm...

Last edited by Maxacceleration; 10-15-16 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-15-16, 02:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
At some point "modern" lost all connection with being modern ... then we had to be "post-modern" ("After right now" or futuristic? No, because for the people with nothing to sell but BS, "modern" was already over ... because they couldn't make money from people who actually understood the meaning of their words.)

So ... is a bike styled after an older bike "modern" if it was just constructed? Is it "ironically modern"? "Hipster current"?

Once "modern" has a definition besides "stuff from now," it becomes meaningless. So here we have a bike from 2010 which is not "old-fashioned" (because that is an old-fashioned thing to say) and is in fact the "Antithesis of Modern" .... despite its being a modern bike, strictly defined. On the other hand, a bike which is fifteen years Older, can be labelled "Modern."

Normally I can find some humor in this sort of thing ....
Old 10-16-16, 12:34 AM
Sonof12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
My steel ride

In between vintage and modern but here is my 1995 Novara Trionfo chrome plated Tange Prestige frame with original Shimano 600 (ultegra) groupset. My daily rider and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (20.8 KB, 709 views)
Old 10-16-16, 03:48 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Stainless steel, custom frame with S&S couplers. Used for commuting, hauling groceries and group rides every once in a while. As well as touring and traveling. It's a bit on the heavy side, but sturdy like an ox.
Old 10-16-16, 06:51 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scummer
Stainless steel, custom frame with S&S couplers. Used for commuting, hauling groceries and group rides every once in a while. As well as touring and traveling. It's a bit on the heavy side, but sturdy like an ox.
it's a bike that works and plays. a modern saddle and no kickstand would cut some of the pork, but otherwise, well done.
Old 10-16-16, 03:37 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every time I read "modern steel," I keep thinking that the qualification would be a matter of when the alloy or tubing was developed. It's the steel that's modern. In that case, the components or "styling" don't matter at all.

My steel bike happens to have mostly modern style components (threaded stem, current gruppo, etc., but old-school box section-rimmed wheels), but the tubing is Dedacciai DR Zero Superleggera, which was introduced in 2004 - i.e., well after 1996
Old 10-17-16, 02:16 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Originally Posted by pdedes
it's a bike that works and plays. a modern saddle and no kickstand would cut some of the pork, but otherwise, well done.
The saddle i've already replaced with a Fizik Arione, since the Brooks was not comfortable to me.
The kickstand needs to stay, otherwise it turns into a pain to attach the trailer loaded with 4 cases of beer.
Old 10-23-16, 06:24 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 57 Posts
Battaglin to focus on steel and phase out carbon fiber frames | Handbuilt Bicycle News

This interview with Alessandro Battaglin is interesting. It is the thought process behind a storied Italian builder's decision to revert to its core competence by abandoning CF frame production and redirecting focus on building quality steel frames.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 10-23-16, 07:34 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Just realized I hadn't ever put a pic of the Giordana XL Super into this thread. It's a mid to late 90s Excell Podium tubed bike made by the Billato Brothers in Italy and imported by Gita. Alberto Billato said they did not do the painting on these bikes. Dario Pegoretti confirmed via email that he helped design these. This is easily one of my favorite rides and the one I've put the most miles on this year. Built up with a 11-speed Campagnolo groupset and now sporting a pair of fast riding Campagnolo Shamal Ultra's that's not in the picture.

This bike is fast, carves the curves, and yet is a comfortable ride for doing a century on rough chipseal. It climbs pretty darn good too. It's just a sweet riding, good all-around piece of italian glory. Weighs in at about 19.5 lbs equipped to ride with pedals, bottle cages, computer mount and sensors. Basically everything but the kit bag and water bottles. Not too bad.

Just remembered, I have a pic of it with the Shamal wheels too. That's it's older brother above it, a 1989 Giordana Antares that pretty awesome in and of itself.

Old 10-23-16, 07:41 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

I've also got this piece of modern steel. A 2003 Lemond Tourmelet built back up with Ultegra and Dura Ace parts. Light, fast, direct, and the paint is so much better than the paint on my 2002 LeMond Zurich. This bike is sporting a crazy set of 53/34 chainrings by Wickwerks. You would not believe how quickly and cleanly these chainrings work despite the wide range. The ramp technology they use to shift from the small to large chainring is amazing. Just using a standard Dura Ace FD to shift these.

Old 10-23-16, 07:50 PM
jamesdak 

Finally, my latest find is this dang near mint 1999 Bianchi Campione in New Pearl Lime. I cleaned a bunch of dried up grease off this yesterday but haven't gotten it out for a test ride since. I did do a 22 miler on it earlier this week and things went well. Those are the original tires and they are still soft and supple. Not dried out like I'm used to finding.

Look how complete the paint still is. Everything you see is dirt and grease and has now been cleaned up.

Old 10-24-16, 12:13 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Finally, my latest find is this dang near mint 1999 Bianchi Campione in New Pearl Lime. I cleaned a bunch of dried up grease off this yesterday but haven't gotten it out for a test ride since. I did do a 22 miler on it earlier this week and things went well. Those are the original tires and they are still soft and supple. Not dried out like I'm used to finding.

Look how complete the paint still is. Everything you see is dirt and grease and has now been cleaned up.

Nice and clean.
Old 10-24-16, 10:38 AM
MZilliox

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Waterford St-14, my new do it all rain bike: Walter

Ambrosios by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

Walter by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-25-16, 03:54 PM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I’m over here!

The bags are from Acorn. The fenders are hammered Honjos, which are available from a number of sources.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.