Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Would someone please slap the motivation back into me .

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-08-16, 04:47 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts

That's it, I'm out of motivation, and it's been a couple of weeks now. The thing is, it's prime time in Tucson right now and I'm missing some good riding days.

Hopefully it's like in the movie "Tincup" and all I have is the riding equivalent of the shanks. I should be riding more than one day a week right now.
Old 12-08-16, 05:06 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
fronts blow dust through, and that demotivates everybody.
I've reached the point now that the only time I feel right is when I get off a bike (ok, in those last few miles before I get off the bike, too).
May look for that feeling again.
It's an improved state of health and consciousness.

Plus, the way I eat, I have to burn the calories.
Old 12-08-16, 05:13 PM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Just be thankful you are not in a cold place, it's a balmy 29 outside here in Western CO today!
Ride on!
R&J
Old 12-08-16, 05:13 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
That's it, I'm out of motivation, and it's been a couple of weeks now. The thing is, it's prime time in Tucson right now and I'm missing some good riding days.

Hopefully it's like in the movie "Tincup" and all I have is the riding equivalent of the shanks. I should be riding more than one day a week right now.
Go do something you definitely do not like for a few days (golf, tennis, bowling, etc) and them re-think bike riding.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-08-16, 05:29 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Calm down, get a hold of yourself

Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-08-16, 05:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Riding isn't some kind of obligation. If you want to you'll ride, if you don't want to you won't, and maybe take up some other activity. Who knows, maybe you'll come back to cycling later on.

So, do what suits you now, and what suits you later.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-08-16, 05:33 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

You may not have the right bike to motivate you, so go bike shopping.
Old 12-08-16, 05:35 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Fly to Seattle = cold wet damp w/ groady roads & bike lanes. Very short days (condolences to more northern climes) Easy to excuse reduced saddle time.

OR, just go for an easy ride. If you don't push too hard it can be a blast.
Old 12-08-16, 05:46 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts
When this happens to me, I just remind myself that I own the bicycle.., not vice versa: If I want to let it rest against the wall until the year 2000, I feel entitled to that and am perfectly ok with it.
Don't second-guess yourself. I don't think there is such a thing as laziness: I think we have ambivalence, sometimes, and the hidden reasons we refrain from activities we love are sometimes good reasons (we need to focus on other things or put some balance in our lives).
If you really want to ride, give yourself a "dream task": When you lay down at night, for ten minutes, repeat something simple in your mind, like: "I want to have a dream that will give me the motivation to ride".
Old 12-08-16, 06:12 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Riding isn't some kind of obligation. If you want to you'll ride, if you don't want to you won't, and maybe take up some other activity. Who knows, maybe you'll come back to cycling later on.

So, do what suits you now, and what suits you later.
What? You're suggesting apostasy. There's consequences to such behavior, you know.
Old 12-08-16, 06:28 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The first step is admitting you have a problem........

O hell that was just a joke.

By starting a thread, you will find out you are not alone. And how others feel about their own ups and downs.

Our weather is not conducive to safe, enjoyable bike riding here (northwestern Ontario). I will be on the forum, and watching YouTubes until I need to ride.

But, I'm thinking you got out.

-Snuts-
Old 12-08-16, 06:31 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
DANNNNNGGGG! You are starting to look like Jabba the Hut, cool!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 12-08-16, 06:51 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I can relate and am in a similar situation. However I've been enjoying my other favorite past time and have been playing golf Monday-Friday. Cycling has taken a backseat but that's okay for now. It's been a little bit of a mental challenge to find more motivation after the cross country ride but sooner or later something new an different will light a new flame.

Do you have other interests that you're enjoying??

I'm really jealous of Tucson....in fact I mentioned to one of my golf buddies today that we looked at housing in the Marana area last year but didn't close the deal. With the new grand kids it's really nice being close by to where we live now.

I'd be perfectly happy being a snowbird if it came down to it.
Old 12-08-16, 07:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I just remind myself of how many delicious imperial stouts, porters and Scottish ales I can drink without needing larger pants by burning off some calories en route to the pub, and back home.
Old 12-08-16, 07:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I just remind myself of how many delicious imperial stouts, porters and Scottish ales I can drink without needing larger pants by burning off some calories en route to the pub, and back home.
Yep,

It's so many miles per Pizza.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-08-16, 07:28 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
If riding your bicycle is not required to pay the bills, what the heck does it matter. Ride or not, enjoy what you have because there are millions of others who would love to be where you are.
Old 12-08-16, 08:20 PM
47p2

Bikes: N+1+1+1+1+1 etc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When I'm unmotivated and the weather is crap here in Scotland I just think of all the hard work/effort I've put into getting where I am. I know if I don't go for a cycle for a week or two I will loose that 'edge' I have built up over the past few months and it will take me forever to get back to where I am at the present time. The temperature the past couple of weeks here have been down to as low as 20°F so not exactly inviting but I'm determined this year not to let things slip and hopefully keep a reasonable level of fitness for next spring.

The last two days the temperature has rocketed up to 55°F and it's now raining which makes cycling even less inviting than in the frost. I never went out yesterday but decided to do a 22 mile ride today between showers. I wasn't looking forward to it, but once out I felt good and by the time I returned home I felt great. Now that I've been fed, watered, and now tucked in bed I feel awesome, yet I know if I hadn't went out today I would now be feeling miserable and annoyed at myself for not making the effort.

Hope you get your mojo back soon, there's nothing better for mind, body and soul than a bicycle ride to blow the cobwebs away
Old 12-08-16, 08:21 PM
Wileyrat

Thanks for the replies.

I'll hit the gym tomorrow to get my strength work in for the week, and jump on one of the bikes this weekend.

Next week is a new week.
Old 12-08-16, 08:27 PM
47p2

Bikes: N+1+1+1+1+1 etc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good on you
Old 12-08-16, 08:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
out of motivation
tough luck. motivation is highly personal & no one can give it to you. not for exercise. it's not like a sales job. except there is payback for performance. meaning, you get to buy something for the bike or yourself, you can post pictures here, you can share your ride for others to consider, some ppl will appreciate it while others might jab at it. either way, it's more fun than chatting about how you don't ride
Old 12-08-16, 08:55 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You are just riding in the wrong place.

Old 12-08-16, 09:01 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
This may sound silly but pick a coffee shop at a distance that makes sense. Ride to coffee shop and drink coffee. Repeat. Pretty soon your body will equate your bike ride with that caffein boost.
Old 12-08-16, 09:04 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,071 Posts
As my elder friend Neal asked me one day, "what do you think this is, a practice life?"
Old 12-08-16, 09:12 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Then again, you only die once, do it right?

Oh, nevermind. remember that you don't meet any new people at home, unless they have pamphlets or want your money.

(It's okay if they have thin mints)
Old 12-08-16, 09:18 PM
Wileyrat

Been thinking about it. The problem might be as simple as this time of the year the bike usually goes with me to work, and I hit one of the mups on the way home. That way I don't go home, lose the daylight and motivation.

For some reason I haven't been doing that yet this year, I think it's time to bring back my winter cycling habits.

At least that's what I'm telling myself tonight.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 12-08-16 at 09:22 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.