Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Something's wrong with my rear dérailleur -- Any ideas?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-18, 03:38 PM
bikerbobbbb

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I put a new chain on a few months ago. One new chain per year. That's worked well enough.

I noticed it clicked a bit but I figured it was a new chain. I didn't notice clicking as much after a while.

I do remember having the chain lock up a bit on one ride home a few week ago. And then two more times it didn't catch. That may be on the front chain ring part though. Although I solved that with the right shifter, so it's probably related to this current issue.

I've noticed it clicks more when it's on the largest cog in back. Definitely still doing that today. But today it was clicking in most or all of the rear dérailleur cogs. That can't be good if it's clicking, making noise. It's not shifting to any gears. All the gears still work normally. It's just clicking.

I took a closer look. It appears to be on the lower idler pulley, going by terms here.
Rear Derailleur Adjustment - Bikes on Robson

I don't wash my bike much, if at all. So I use a kitchen brush on the jockey, hanging part there to clean gunk out. At first that improved it. But the clicks are still there.

Between the lower and upper pulley, I'm also wondering about the metal part sticking out. Is the chain supposed to go over a static piece of metal like that?

Here's a pic.

I'm pretty sure it's just clicking on the lower pulley. I pulled the chain up and it still clicked (I think). This was the first time I stopped and started investigating it.

Any ideas?

Is it fixable? Just bend something back in place?

Whole new derailleur or lower jockey part? Another new chain too (or breaking/reconnecting the current chain)?

I can't imagine this is going to improve. Today was noticeably worse. If the chain locked up before, that might happen again. Clicking might worsen (or maybe that's when it actually locks up).

I was trying to find a video of a rear dérailleur moving from the side though, to see how this jockey part is supposed to behave.
Old 07-28-18, 03:50 PM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like your jockey wheels are shizzled. Time to replace.
Old 07-28-18, 03:54 PM
bikerbobbbb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just worn out? Those are original from the bike purchase about nine years ago.

What would need to be replaced? The whole dérailleur or just the jockey part?

I'm really wondering what that metal bump is between the two pulleys... The chain is supposed to actually rub against that? I guess that would line the chain up or keep it taut but... It looks like it's just causing wear, the way it is on my bike.

I was searching for videos, but getting nothing. These looked more interesting though.
Old 07-28-18, 03:57 PM
bikerbobbbb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just the jockey wheels? Nothing else would need to be replaced?

Found a video...

I don't want to jinx it but that's looking like cake compared to other things.

So where/how do I buy new jockey wheels....
Old 07-28-18, 03:59 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
Chain is misrouted between the pulleys.
It should run straight from one pulley to the next, not detour over that tab.
Old 07-28-18, 04:02 PM
bikerbobbbb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's up with that extra bump between my jockey wheels?

I don't that here, but it's a different model...

I checked on my bike before, and it was worn. But the chain is sliding against it so it would be worn.

Is my lower jockey part bent inwards there? And the chain is going over the top of that instead of inside that? (Maybe I put the chain on wrong before...)

I do see that bump between jockey wheel on here. It looks more like it's supposed to hold the chain under it though, to keep it from jumping...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Tou...cAAOSwBRVaa3yw
Old 07-28-18, 04:17 PM
bikerbobbbb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Thanks.

I ended up taking a pair of needle-nosed pliers (just pushing, twisting the chain didn't squeeze it in), bending that guard part up, pushing the chain back in, and bending the guard back (probably not the correct position).

No clicks. I'll give it an actual test ride in a bit.

I'm guessing something futzed up a few weeks ago on a commute ride. Stomping the pedal a little isn't great, but things seemed to work again. That probably had enough force to pop the chain over that. And then I only noticed it in certain gears. It probably depends on how the pulleys line for really pressing on that guard to get a good click sound produced. The rest of the time it was just rubbing. Phew... I'd guess a couple hundred miles or wear on that guard and the chain.

The guard metal material was easily bendable with pliers. That didn't take much effort. That's with hands. If the bike bumped something or even raw foot/leg power could easily bend metal that soft.

Assuming that "fixes" it, the next/real question... Is that a good enough solution? I mean it will probably not click and ride now, but does that need to be replaced? Someone said the jockey pulley/cogs need to be replaced. Would it just be those or the whole jockey/hanging part?

Here's a pic before I forget.
Old 07-28-18, 04:22 PM
bikerbobbbb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or another way of asking -- How often do you replace things back there? The whole derailleur, the lower jockey part, the pulley/cogs? Is that something to replace like the cassette and chain rings -- Whenever they get worn? What would I look for for wear and tear? These pics are probably showing worn cog teeth, right?

If it's just that lower jockey part or even just the cogs, that might not be so bad for a repair, esp. if I actually don't have to take the chain off and the derailleur settings don't change.

I still see the trend I have of only noticing this stuff when it breaks though. This isn't 100% broken though. I probably have caught something here before it gets worse.

Otherwise, I was thinking, the bike is worn but seems ok. Next spring will be ten years since I got it. I'm sure it's not as efficient as it used to be but it feels smooth for pedaling, except for today's excessive chain clicking noise.
Old 07-28-18, 04:52 PM
bikerbobbbb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Test ride -- Successful. No clicks. A bit smoother (since it's not rubbing and since it was cleaned up a little). Pedalling feels smooth, power connected to the push. I also lubed up the chain again since I washed off that jockey part before so that always helps.
Old 07-28-18, 06:13 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
That last pic looks much better. Chains should never run over a solid surface (tab). Now you need to really clean it up and get all that metallic dust/dirt/grime out of there. Congrats on your self-diagnosis.
Old 07-28-18, 06:46 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerbobbbb
I ended up taking a pair of needle-nosed pliers (just pushing, twisting the chain didn't squeeze it in), bending that guard part up, pushing the chain back in, and bending the guard back (probably not the correct position).
Not to bust your backside here but next time just unscrew the two bolts going through the jockey wheels and one side of the cage comes off allowing you to re-route the chain, no bending required (or recommended for that matter). Having a quicklink in your chain would also make it easier to just take the chain apart and re-route it.
Old 07-30-18, 02:04 PM
globie

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. This was definitely your issue.
However, I'm wondering why your new chain is so full of black gunk. A cleaner chain and derailleurs will also help shifting. I'd clean the drivetrain and relube, applying just a drop at each roller, then wiping with a clean cloth. Repeat as necessary.