Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Ask the Community

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Ask the Community

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 06:00 PM
klhada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Upping this tread with a question: how much can my frame flex? Bike is a Langster street, size 58, with Sram Omniuns. Sorry for the bad picture, but it shows that I can put a pencil between the frame and chainring, and it's almost one finger of clearance in the part where the chainring would contact the frame.

BUT, cleaning the bike today, I found some weird scratches on the paint in that part (right now covered by tape). I can post pictures of the scratches lately, but it REALLY looks like the chainring touched the frame. The scratches were a bit deep. Can the frame flex that much, moving more than 1cm in the chainring area? Right now I weight 90kg, and use the bike on some good climbs. I used some black tape to cover the scratches, just as a guide. I will try to go to the hard climb tomorrow, and see if it touchs the frame. If so, I'm actually scared to use the bike
Old 01-12-19, 08:49 PM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by klhada

Upping this tread with a question: how much can my frame flex? Bike is a Langster street, size 58, with Sram Omniuns. Sorry for the bad picture, but it shows that I can put a pencil between the frame and chainring, and it's almost one finger of clearance in the part where the chainring would contact the frame.

BUT, cleaning the bike today, I found some weird scratches on the paint in that part (right now covered by tape). I can post pictures of the scratches lately, but it REALLY looks like the chainring touched the frame. The scratches were a bit deep. Can the frame flex that much, moving more than 1cm in the chainring area? Right now I weight 90kg, and use the bike on some good climbs. I used some black tape to cover the scratches, just as a guide. I will try to go to the hard climb tomorrow, and see if it touchs the frame. If so, I'm actually scared to use the bike
thats crazy! I guess anything is possible. Some quick and obvious questions. Does the chain ring seem to be spinning true? Does ur bottom bracket appear to be straight? Everything tight, no slop?
Old 01-13-19, 01:30 PM
klhada

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
yeah, everything works fine. Today I rode 94km with the bike, and nothing out of ordinary.

BUT, then it hits me. If the frame flexed that much, it would be impossible to ride, since I use a rear brake as well. It would touch the rim far before the chainring hit the stays (and THAT I know how it feels).

So, maybe it was just some gravel/whatever which got stuck in that exactly place.
Old 01-13-19, 08:52 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yeah, everything works fine. Today I rode 94km with the bike, and nothing out of ordinary.

BUT, then it hits me. If the frame flexed that much, it would be impossible to ride, since I use a rear brake as well. It would touch the rim far before the chainring hit the stays (and THAT I know how it feels).

So, maybe it was just some gravel/whatever which got stuck in that exactly place.
Possibly. I would think you would feel something funky going on if it were flexing that much. And you would probably hear and feel something if it was mashing into your chainstay. Odd, I’d just keep a close eye on it for the time being
Old 01-13-19, 09:42 PM
hardboiled718

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
An aluminum frame should never flex that much. It's possible you picked up something that got stick in your chainring, and when it scratched the chainstay it knocked itself off.
Old 01-13-19, 10:08 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
1 - Rode with double brakes and without straps. Worked fine, but will I die soon? In one of the descents, my feet slided on the pedal, but not enough to lose contact..
Maybe, everyone says that you will. I ride mine that way though without issue, just use my brakes when my cadence gets to about 130.
Old 01-13-19, 10:14 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Maybe, everyone says that you will. I ride mine that way though without issue, just use my brakes when my cadence gets to about 130.
Never have I ever heard that. Foot retention seems like a good idea brakes or not
Old 01-13-19, 10:23 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by mouse

Never have I ever heard that. Foot retention seems like a good idea brakes or not
Never heard that you'll suffer a calamity and die if you don't use foot retention, or never heard of someone riding FG without foot retention?
Old 01-14-19, 12:21 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Never heard that you'll suffer a calamity and die if you don't use foot retention, or never heard of someone riding FG without foot retention?
It's a good idea for fixed gear drivetrains where there's no freewheel letting you coast.
Constantly driven by the rear wheel's inertia via the drivetrain, a fixed gear's pedals won't stop rotating until the wheels do.
It's not fun to have the skin on the back of your legs skinned by your pedals when your feet slip in a higher cadence.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 01-14-19, 04:49 AM
klhada

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
well, since I'm the original poster of the actual responses, I might say that I still use double brakes, but now use SPDs Less pratical, but easir on the mind, and specially helpful on the climbs
Old 01-15-19, 10:26 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
It doesn't get much interest nowadays, but wayyy back when, there were more than a few discussions here about very light wheelsets, and what parts to use to build your own...

Some of the hubs that got a lot of love for this purpose were low spoke hole, low flange Novatec & Gran Compe SF. Maybe it's the times, but I've been checking around the interwebz lately and I couldn't find low hole versions of these hubs. Retrogression carried the Gran Compes but was out of stock the latter part of last year, and who knows what they will be doing after their move. I've also asked several LBS around me about ordering them and been told that none of their distributors have them. I've run into a brick wall.

So my question for the group is - does anybody know anywhere that one can currently buy low spoke count, low flange Novatec or Gran Compe SF hubs in Silver?

TIA...
Old 01-15-19, 07:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
^^ Maybe try Alex's Cycles.
Old 01-16-19, 08:52 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Are carbon bars ok on a fixie? Was thinking about putting some Easton carbon bars on my kilo TT mostly for comfort (got 37cm wide bars now, will go to a 40cm) but also for vibration damping. Are they safe to use since there is more stress on a fixie? If I am climbing a really steep hill, my tendency is to pull up on the bars (which is probably bad form , but....) will I break the bars doing that? Not totally comfortable with carbon bars yet (never had them on any bike!), but maybe someone can convince me lol.

Dave
Old 01-16-19, 09:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Are carbon bars ok on a fixie? Was thinking about putting some Easton carbon bars on my kilo TT mostly for comfort (got 37cm wide bars now, will go to a 40cm) but also for vibration damping. Are they safe to use since there is more stress on a fixie? If I am climbing a really steep hill, my tendency is to pull up on the bars (which is probably bad form , but....) will I break the bars doing that? Not totally comfortable with carbon bars yet (never had them on any bike!), but maybe someone can convince me lol.

Dave
If they need to be fixied, then probably not but a good well known carbon bar from a company with a solid reputation with carbon fiber is fine on really any bike. However I will note that if you are worried about carbon bars buying them and using them probably won't help much. Anything that needs to be fixied should not be ridden whether a frame or fork or stem or bars or seatpost whatever if it is broken don't ride it at all. If you want good vibration dampening go for a eeSilk seatpost and some thicker more cushioned tape and maybe also look at a ShockStop stem.

If you are worried about stress maybe go see a therapist. If you think you are putting to much stress on a bike like a fixed gear, unless your name is Robert Förstemann or Sir Chris Hoy or someone like that you probably don't have to worry much. Certainly cheap components don't hold up well especially to heavy use and abuse but if you get decent stuff and treat it will you will be fine.
Old 01-16-19, 09:44 PM
bonsai171

If they need to be fixied, then probably not but a good well known carbon bar from a company with a solid reputation with carbon fiber is fine on really any bike. However I will note that if you are worried about carbon bars buying them and using them probably won't help much. Anything that needs to be fixied should not be ridden whether a frame or fork or stem or bars or seatpost whatever if it is broken don't ride it at all. If you want good vibration dampening go for a eeSilk seatpost and some thicker more cushioned tape and maybe also look at a ShockStop stem.

If you are worried about stress maybe go see a therapist. If you think you are putting to much stress on a bike like a fixed gear, unless your name is Robert Förstemann or Sir Chris Hoy or someone like that you probably don't have to worry much. Certainly cheap components don't hold up well especially to heavy use and abuse but if you get decent stuff and treat it will you will be fine.
Whaaaat? Assuming you are joking here :-) Nothing is broken on the bike, just looking at some wider bars that happen to be carbon.

I'll have to look around at different bar tape, maybe even double layer.

For seat posts, haven't found a lot of nice options in 26.8mm. There is a Nitto Crystal Fellow and a Thomson elite. That's about it unless you count cheap ones like Uno :-p

Dave
Old 01-16-19, 11:52 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Carbon bars will be fine. You aren't going to have a problem with the Easton bars. They won't break or twist.

It isn't going to be a night and day difference in terms of vibration dampening. Maybe a little but you are not going to ride it and say, "Wow! Amazing! I can't believe its not butter!!!"

The only problem is going to be leaving them out in the sunlight. No, I just made that up. Only kidding. They will be fine.

If you are worried about stress maybe go see a therapist.
This is pretty funny.

And Dave is like, "Whaaaa?"

-Tim-
Old 01-17-19, 01:07 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Dave
As previously mentioned, perfectly fine. Just be sure to pay attention to the torque spec on the bar itself and not the stem.
If it is tightened to spec and slips, use carbon assembly paste for extra grit-grippage.

Old 01-17-19, 11:35 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
I used to be scared of carbon bars and parts but I'm not any more. Big thing as previously mentioned is using a torque wrench.
Old 01-17-19, 12:47 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Nothing to be scared of.

Old 01-17-19, 02:44 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
"Nothing to be scared of?"

Then why is he wearing a diaper?
Old 01-17-19, 04:14 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

lol. Will Tektro RL340 brake levers work with Carbon handlebars?

Dave
Old 01-17-19, 08:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Whaaaat? Assuming you are joking here :-) Nothing is broken on the bike, just looking at some wider bars that happen to be carbon.

I'll have to look around at different bar tape, maybe even double layer.

For seat posts, haven't found a lot of nice options in 26.8mm. There is a Nitto Crystal Fellow and a Thomson elite. That's about it unless you count cheap ones like Uno :-p

Dave
Joking? Me? No? I am serious 100% of the time all the time without fail. You said things needed to be fixied so I would be careful and get them fixed before you run into trouble.

Thomson Elite or Nitto Crystal fellow are both fine seatposts I have used the Thomson ones for many years and have had a Nitto in 26.8 for a while and both have been excellent quality wise. 26.8 sadly is not really a common size and is designed to piss you off. You can sometimes find old Dura Ace or Ultegra/600 seatposts in that size but not often and not for cheap. Basically a good bike would would use a 1 1/8" threadless headset and fork and a 27.2 seatpost and everyone is happy because parts are easily available but to save money Bikes Direct buys the cheap stuff because most folks buying that stuff don't know or care what any of that means so it leads to issues like this for people who do know what it means.

Originally Posted by TimothyH

This is pretty funny.

And Dave is like, "Whaaaa?"

-Tim-
Yeah I like it when people miss the joke sometimes. Gotta have some fun.
Old 01-17-19, 11:58 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

LOL

Old 01-18-19, 04:47 AM
bonsai171

Joking? Me? No? I am serious 100% of the time all the time without fail. You said things needed to be fixied so I would be careful and get them fixed before you run into trouble.

Thomson Elite or Nitto Crystal fellow are both fine seatposts I have used the Thomson ones for many years and have had a Nitto in 26.8 for a while and both have been excellent quality wise. 26.8 sadly is not really a common size and is designed to piss you off. You can sometimes find old Dura Ace or Ultegra/600 seatposts in that size but not often and not for cheap. Basically a good bike would would use a 1 1/8" threadless headset and fork and a 27.2 seatpost and everyone is happy because parts are easily available but to save money Bikes Direct buys the cheap stuff because most folks buying that stuff don't know or care what any of that means so it leads to issues like this for people who do know what it means.

Yeah I like it when people miss the joke sometimes. Gotta have some fun.
It is frustrating at times on the forums when you post a legitimate question, and get a response like your first post. Feels like the question wasn't really answered.

In addition, no one has said whether my brake levers will work or not. Back at ground zero.

Dave

Last edited by bonsai171; 01-18-19 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-18-19, 09:47 AM
phobus

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
It is frustrating at times on the forums when you post a legitimate question, and get a response like your first post. Feels like the question wasn't really answered.

In addition, no one has said whether my brake levers will work or not. Back at ground zero.

Dave
There's nothing specific to carbon bars that would prevent them from working with any levers. Road bars all have the same diameter in the area where you attach the levers. Mountain bars use a different standard bar diameter. But as a rule, all road levers should fit on all road bars, and all mountain levers on mountain bars.

The only thing you might need to be careful of is to not over-tighten the lever's clamp bolt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.